DOWNLOAD CODES: more results / thoughts...

vardcore

We have included Download Codes in a few of our recent releases.

So far the average # of downloads using the code is 12% of the number of records/codes made. (I expect the number of code uses to rise slightly over time, but not significantly.) That means 88% of the Codes are going unused.

I'm not sure what that tells us.

I am curious to hear from other labels who have been throwing Download Codes in with their releases.

Discuss?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the album I get comes with a download code, but the vinyl came out months after the actual CD release or digital release came out, it's a good probability that I have already gotten it in digital form.

I find the download codes to be really nice and useful most of the times.

If anything I feel that the digital version that is available with the download code should always be in a lossless audio form or very high KBpS bit rate (at least 320).

I do however realize the strain on the servers and bandwidth that most small labels probably have access to. So really any digital format is greatly appreciated. because in the end if I really want the fulll audio spectrum.. I do have it with the vinyl.

I actually tend to buy the CD as well as the LP. I don't know why, it's a stupid connection to physical media. This is why I prefer LPs with the CD. However, if there is no CD (such as with Imadethismistake, or Memorial) I do download it.

I still buy tons of CD's. I still prefer to take them with me while driving compared to my ipod. The only time I consciously bring my ipod with me is when I'm going to be in the car for more than an hour.

In the case with No-Idea I would think that if you were inserting the codes with represses of albums the buyer probably already has the album on digital format. Personally I use all my download codes when they come with newly released albums. I also use codes when I get a release that I have been too lazy to put my cd into itunes. I as a consumer think dowload codes are great, but if I were a label owner and the codes were not being used and it was causing an extra expense in the pressing of a record I might stop using them.

I have been using mine more and more often. I'm on dialup, so that is part of the problem. I know with a couple of releases, I've bought all colors, so for something like the all aboard LP, I had four colors with a fifth on the way, I'll only be using one of them. I like the option, though I find like with fat, including the CD is much easier for me, though not sure which is a cheaper method and to keep costs down on vinyl, I'd go with the cheaper rather than easier...

I love, love, love, fucking love the download codes. Its so much easier than ripping the audio from the album itself for those of us, few as they may be, who won't use things like Limewire, etc.

This is a good point also. I wonder if including download codes with albums would effect the use of file sharing sites such as Limewire or maybe change the mp3 for sale sites like Itunes.

Var,

I think they're worthwhile to have in there...though I personally haven't used the last few codes from the last couple No Idea releases I've ordered(I just noticed this morning that my off with their heads 'from the bottom' LP had one...and I've had that for a while now.

I'll probably download them now that I've gotten my iPod up and running again(headphone jack was broken) AND I'm going to be working in an office job soon, and thus needing new music to listen to.

It makes it easier for me as the past few years I've pretty much only bought CDs of things unavailable on vinyl...and it's nice to have the access to them...instead of doing the awkward message board posts/PMs/phone calls to friends of..."if you have "XXXXXX" on CD and can send me the mp3s, so I can listen to it my iPod".

More or less because I just don't do the illegal download thing(or even legal download) 95% of the time I forget I have it because I have no physical object reminding me that I own that record. But maybe that's just me being crazy.

so long story short...I like them, despite the irony of me admitting that I have not utilized them as of late. mostly because I'm at home a lot and just like to sit around and listen to records...and a year or two ago when Touch and Go started putting the download cards in their records I had a hard time getting them to download properly and gave up eventually...so that probably subliminally turned a switch in my brain off of them.

I also plan on including downloads with all my future label releases...well the ones that aren't licensed...I like giving people the option to do it.

side note:

Var, how much work is it to host them and generate the codes yourself?

I have been using mine more and more often. I'm on dialup, so that is part of the problem. I know with a couple of releases, I've bought all colors, so for something like the all aboard LP, I had four colors with a fifth on the way, I'll only be using one of them. I like the option, though I find like with fat, including the CD is much easier for me, though not sure which is a cheaper method and to keep costs down on vinyl, I'd go with the cheaper rather than easier...

That's also a good point, if I buy multiple copies of an album I'll only use one of the codes so that has to factor in a bit. Especially with a label like No Idea where people do buy multiple copies of the same album. For instance, with East/West I bought three copies but only used the download code from one. That would appear as only 33% of the codes being used but in fact it should be 100%.

I think they are great, but if it does cost the label extra(depending on how much) make it an add on at check out. Have something like "include download code for this record for an additional $1?"

Of course I pulled $1 out of my ass, but assuming that would cover the cost of the download service why not? I'd pay an extra dollar for digital copies of a record I got. If I already had it in digital form I could opt to not receive the code and the label gets to save a buck.