Reactions..

Guest smccown13

Guest smccown13

So i'm still pretty new here..but I think this would be a fun subject..

What are some of the reactions from friends/coworkers/family about your record collection?

The bartender at my resturant said "Dude..it's getting worse than a cocaine habit."

Just a fun thought...

Guest noeffinidea

The LTJ and Hold Steady comics are just the lyrics to the songs put to comics. Although in Hello Rockview they don't go in the order of the album...they go in a different order to have somewhat of a narrative there.

The Live in a Dive comics are fricken cool though! I like how all of them say to be continued... at the end, yet I've never seen any of them continued. I think the Strung Out one is my favorite, solely because I LOVE Jason Cruz's artwork.

my mailman makes fun of me sometimes. thankfully i'm friendly with the guy. he'll put my LPs inside the door when it's raining so they don't get fucked up, and usually goes out of his way to make sure they dont sit out in the sun. i've found girls don't like records. especially girls who are special lady friends.

My wife gets a little annoyed, but I think we have a thread for them already. My coworkers ask me things like if I can hear a difference and what my rarest record is. Of course they've never heard of it and I have to explain that I mostly buy current bands. "I didn't know they made records for new bands" is what they always say.

my guess was for strung out - live in a dive, but that's the only one. Though I think I have an early recess records comp with a comic in it as well.

My parents and girlfriend are stoked on it, no complaints. Most of my friends are down with it. Haven't really found anyone who thinks it's weird. Well, they do until I say some of my vinyl is worth a few hundred bucks a piece and they shut up real quick.

Guest xsteponmex

usually get the "why don't you just download it for free" thing. my old roommate was really into them and wanted to come into my room and listen to records all day. meh

My parents get super mad about it, they say I'm wasting my money. Imagine if they knew I collected variants.... Of course my dad also gets super mad if I torrent stuff and tries to turn it into a huge morality issue. I guess he'd be happier if I just didn't listen to music at all.

My friends respect the hobby, and all the girls who see the turntable and the records go "oh cooool, records!" even though I'm pretty sure half of them don't know they still make vinyl and probably think I'm being ironic or something.

My friends think I am kinda a dork because I talk about them a lot.. some of the girls think its hot (not sure why, but whatever!)

My mom kinda dislikes me spending money on anything other then essential life supplies but shes 10x as bad as me so never says anything, and the rest of my family are all pretty happy about it. Unless its like 2am and I am drunk listening to larry arms.. then its not so ok.