fuckin ebay fee's ,man

Guest kevinb

bring skylabcommerce back!

im really surprised anyone on this board remembers/knows about skylab!

you get what you pay for though. skylab didnt charge fees or anything, but it was so easy to rip kids off, cause there was no liability for anything. pretty much everyone who bought a bunch of stuff on there over the years got ripped off at least once if not more often. thats why most people quit using it in the end.

• 5 years later...

I was just thinking about how Ebay has changed over the years (for worse), which usually makes me remember this place.  Back around 99/2000, skylabcommerce was rocking.  

Not sure I ever bought anything there, but I sold a good deal of stuff.  I was definitely guilty of flipping a few things on there for some good money, but I was a college student and was buying a lot of records and needed the money.....

Now the laugh's on me cause if I had held onto the records I sold on there I'd have a few really nice things..I think I sold all of my Mineral records on there, Braid, Get up Kids, etc., a bunch of Hydrahead stuff.  At that time I probably still liked pop punk just a little more so I was buying a lot of that stuff and would often sell of the emo and harder punk. 

What year did skylab finally collapse?  

bring skylabcommerce back!

im really surprised anyone on this board remembers/knows about skylab!
you get what you pay for though. skylab didnt charge fees or anything, but it was so easy to rip kids off, cause there was no liability for anything. pretty much everyone who bought a bunch of stuff on there over the years got ripped off at least once if not more often. thats why most people quit using it in the end.

People have been complaining about eBay fees since the dawn of time (also know as the AuctionWeb Era).

I had an eBay Store to sell records for about a year. It was going pretty well until they upped the fees for BINs, forced return policies and stopped protecting sellers in any way. I had to stop selling internationally because no one would pay for Registered Mail (the only way to get a tracking number overseas) and then just claim they never received it. eBay automatically debited my account without even asking for proof of delivery (which I didn't have anyway because I didn't want to pay $12 out of pocket to Register a $20 record sale). Once I stopped selling internationally, my sales dropped so low I had to bail.

The rub is that eBay offers access to a huge base of buyers. No other site will be able to build what eBay built audience-wise in a reasonable amount of time. Their business plan is simple: make buying on eBay just like buying on Amazon and sellers will have to use us. It's genius. And a bad deal for the normal people sellers that build their business in the '90s and '00s. I'm all for a new option, but it'll never happen I'm afraid. Viva la boards!

Right now my ebay sales probably outnumber my webstore sales 3/1. The fees suck (as a top rated seller I do get 20% off though) but the exposure is huge and my shop probably wouldn't be around right now if I didn't have an ebay store. As for international sales, the increase in USPS shipping fees overseas is what's really hurting sales in that area. I still ship first class and have only had 1 issue this year in the 100 or so overseas packages I've shipped so far. 

I'm pretty sure you only need signature confirmation if something is $200 or more, otherwise you're covered as a seller with delivery confirmation. I could be wrong though. I had someone claim they didn't receive a package (didn't even contact me first just contacted the credit card company with a complaint who then contacted paypal) but I was covered by paypal's seller protection because I had delivery confirmation. This was about 2 months ago. 

Yeah. I'm fixing to unload a bunch of records and eBay's anti seller tactics scare me. I'm thinking of only using USPS priority mail so I'll gave delivery/signature confirmation to cover my ass against buyer's remorse/scammers.

Delivery Confirmation is included with all levels of shipping through eBay- no need to do Priority for that. Priority gives you $50 insurance coverage but I have never once won a case trying to get my money back from the USPS ("Should've packed it better" is the go-to response if something is broken en route). Delivery Confirmation is hit or miss (sometimes it never updates) but eBay claims it'll save you if someone make a claim. Haven't had a problem shipping domestically (other than buyer's remorse, for which eBay requires no questions asked returns including forking over your shipping costs and the fees they already charged you).

International is a whole different ballgame. Tracking is too expensive to purchase on anything other than huge purchases so I've had people claim they didn't receive their $20-30 records on the regular. No way to refute it without tracking (even the tracking that comes with customs forms and tracks it to the border crossing). An excellent scam if you want to run one to get some free records.

Haven't had a problem shipping domestically (other than buyer's remorse, for which eBay requires no questions asked returns including forking over your shipping costs and the fees they already charged you).

So all those sellers that post "no returns/refunds" are essentially just bluffing? If I buy something, decide I don't like it, and request a return, they can either oblige or I can take it to eBay and be basically garaunteed a victory?

Delivery Confirmation is included with all levels of shipping through eBay- no need to do Priority for that. Priority gives you $50 insurance coverage but I have never once won a case trying to get my money back from the USPS ("Should've packed it better" is the go-to response if something is broken en route). Delivery Confirmation is hit or miss (sometimes it never updates) but eBay claims it'll save you if someone make a claim. Haven't had a problem shipping domestically (other than buyer's remorse, for which eBay requires no questions asked returns including forking over your shipping costs and the fees they already charged you).

International is a whole different ballgame. Tracking is too expensive to purchase on anything other than huge purchases so I've had people claim they didn't receive their $20-30 records on the regular. No way to refute it without tracking (even the tracking that comes with customs forms and tracks it to the border crossing). An excellent scam if you want to run one to get some free records.

You know they offer tracking with first class to a ton of countries now, and with the ebay international shipping program it's not your problem after it gets to ebay.

I always wished they would pull out the fees at the time they deposit the earnings in your PayPal account. I hate getting it in one lumped bill at the end of the month. Whenever I sell something, the last thing I think to do is set aside x amount for eBay's portion. It's crazy to think that purely for coordinating these deals every day between users, they make millions of dollars. Pretty damn clever! EBAY: "The Middleman with a Cool Site"

I always wished they would pull out the fees at the time they deposit the earnings in your PayPal account. I hate getting it in one lumped bill at the end of the month. Whenever I sell something, the last thing I think to do is set aside x amount for eBay's portion. It's crazy to think that purely for coordinating these deals every day between users, they make millions of dollars. Pretty damn clever! EBAY: "The Middleman with a Cool Site"

this.  exactly.

$150 in fees last month and I just paid that off and new fees are $227 that aren't even due til the end of this month. And they suspended my account because I don't have that much funds in my paypal what the "F"!!! They charge a shipping fee on top of the regular fees I gotta sell stuff on my mothers Ebay account to be able to pay these fees off before they cancel my account. They are making so much money off of their sellers it's rediculous.