so is anyone into collection prints/posters also?

coldober

Anyone grab the new Bertmer prints at Moon Editions the other day? i think there might be a few left. I got one each. Can't wait. Signed too which is pretty rare of Florians stuff as he lives in Germany. Moon has knocked each one of their releases with him out of the park. The hexenbrett is the most beautiful thing I own.

Depends on what you're wanting. You should be able to find 12x12 frames at your local hobby shop. If you are not looking at custom sized frames, matting and any special glass then $30-$50 sounds about right. Cheaper if you don't use glass. The more you add, obviously, the more it costs. Mine all have custom sized frames cause the posters are not standard sizes and I wanted certain frames. With acid-free matting, acid-free foam board and UV resistant glass the costs add up. The Lost Boys was almost $300, the Texas Chainsaw just over $200 and the Trick 'r Treat $150.

I have about 20-25 posters but have never framed any in a custom frame due to cost. I'm just too damn cheap so nearly all of them are in tubes.

anyway..

here's my personal fave from my collection:

[image]

i like buying standard size prints that can easily be framed with regular frames, but if not try finding a slightly bigger frame and getting a mat cut.

if you have a 12" x 12" print, the best thing i found was frames at ikea. they are 22" x 22" and includes a mat with an 11.5" x 11.5" opening. They look nice, and come in a few different colors.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30174777/

I could never justify the cost of those custom frames. unless I had a neverending flow of cash..

$150-300 to frame something worth about $50? doesnt make a ton of sense. Guess the art being displayed properly is worth the investment to some.. but it surely isn't increasing the value at all. In the poster tubes they sit...

I could never justify the cost of those custom frames. unless I had a neverending flow of cash..

$150-300 to frame something worth about $50? doesnt make a ton of sense. Guess the art being displayed properly is worth the investment to some.. but it surely isn't increasing the value at all. In the poster tubes they sit...

Yeah, getting custom frames should never be mistaken for increasing the value of art. Much like those who say you should only buy vinyl to listen to, I only want prints that I will display. And displaying them properly is important. I don't see a point in putting up a print as sweet looking as my Texas Chainsaw Massacre from Mondo in a cheap looking frame. I'll always notice how cheap the frame looks and it'll take away from the beauty of the print. An well done print deserves a well done frame.

Btw, keeping your prints stored in tubes for a long time will decrease their value. These are printed on thick paper stock and will conform to the shape of the tube. If you are looking at these as an investment you should try to find a place to store them flat.

Yeah, getting custom frames should never be mistaken for increasing the value of art. Much like those who say you should only buy vinyl to listen to, I only want prints that I will display. And displaying them properly is important. I don't see a point in putting up a print as sweet looking as my Texas Chainsaw Massacre from Mondo in a cheap looking frame. I'll always notice how cheap the frame looks and it'll take away from the beauty of the print. An well done print deserves a well done frame.

Btw, keeping your prints stored in tubes for a long time will decrease their value. These are printed on thick paper stock and will conform to the shape of the tube. If you are looking at these as an investment you should try to find a place to store them flat.

Uh-Greed.

Furthering the storing them in a poster tube comments...unless your print is also rolled in barrier paper or some acid-neutralizing paper you also run the risk of completely destroying your print if you leave it in the cardboard mailing tube for too long....cardboard has a relatively high level of acid in it, if it stay in direct contact with anything porous at all the acid seeps in and destroys said print. back in the day most framing shops used Cardboard as a backer, I can't tell you the amount of prints I've seen come into my dad's shop in the few years a worked there where cardboard backing had been used alongside masking tape, regular glass, and paper mats instead and the prints (some of which were signed and numbered originals or silver gel prints for photography) that were completely ruined.

Long Story Short....framing your artwork properly should actually preserve the artwork (regardless of the monetary value of the artwork) as well as displaying it beautifully.

Uh-Greed.

Furthering the storing them in a poster tube comments...unless your print is also rolled in barrier paper or some acid-neutralizing paper you also run the risk of completely destroying your print if you leave it in the cardboard mailing tube for too long....cardboard has a relatively high level of acid in it, if it stay in direct contact with anything porous at all the acid seeps in and destroys said print. back in the day most framing shops used Cardboard as a backer, I can't tell you the amount of prints I've seen come into my dad's shop in the few years a worked there where cardboard backing had been used alongside masking tape, regular glass, and paper mats instead and the prints (some of which were signed and numbered originals or silver gel prints for photography) that were completely ruined.

Long Story Short....framing your artwork properly should actually preserve the artwork (regardless of the monetary value of the artwork) as well as displaying it beautifully.

so what you're saying is.. all of my 5-7 year old posters could be fucked? I really wouldnt be that upset.. though I do have a few nice ones -- jermaine rogers, jared connor, todd slater, arminski. Maybe three or four have been kept in flat in a frame since I've gotten them but I've got about 20 in tubes. Half the shit I bought I wouldn't even want on my wall today anyway, but I should probably take your advice and figure out a way to get them out of there..

i like to keep my posters in tubes and my records on the wall

Touche but not really the same thing. At least I bought the posters with the intention of one day displaying them... can't say the same for some hipster who buys 14 variants of a record and keeps them all sealed or puts records on a wall without even owning a turntable

http://www.mondotees.com/POSTERS_c_12.html

couple new movie prints just went up.

It took a whopping 19 minutes for The Burning and Trick r' Treat to sell out. Wish it was always this easy to score prints from Mondo. Though I've gotten prints from the many times, I'd never been able to get more than one at a time.

Uh-Greed.

so what you're saying is.. all of my 5-7 year old posters could be fucked? I really wouldnt be that upset.. though I do have a few nice ones -- jermaine rogers, jared connor, todd slater, arminski. Maybe three or four have been kept in flat in a frame since I've gotten them but I've got about 20 in tubes. Half the shit I bought I wouldn't even want on my wall today anyway, but I should probably take your advice and figure out a way to get them out of there..

prossibly

keeping them curled up isn't too big of a problem, most frame shops have dry-mount machines, and some of the dry-mount machines are heated and can draw a vacuum, both of which will help flatten out a print (done it several times myself). If the prints inside a cardboard mailing tube are of any value to you, I would suggest just getting either some barrier paper or some other form of acid-free or acid-neutralizing paper to keep the prints wrapped in (essentially lining the inside of the poster mailing tube) while stored. You don't have to, acid burns from cardboard aren't something that immediately happens upon initial contact, it's something that happen over time. I would imagine 5-7 years without any interruption and you probably won't be able to visually see any damage, give 'em another 5-7 and you're likely to notice some brown creeping into the prints.