+/- about your day

Guest realtalk

Just got word an old friend died by suicide. I'm frozen at my desk as I don't want to see anyone. I'm just staring at my screen so I figured I'd do some typing to try to break the funk. I keep thinking of the day of his confirmation when we were kids. I was the only one not invited and on the day of the big event he called me that morning to invite me. He told me he was sorry that his Grandma wouldn't let him invite a Jew. As she yelled in the background he asked if I'd come. I went upstairs, changed clothes and wrapped up one of my Transformers as a gift to give him. It was one of the bravest moments any one of my friends ever exhibited. So when he enlisted and served two tours in Iraq it wasn't a shock to think back to the character he exhibited as a kid and how it carried on to being an adult.

- my idiosyncratic/anal retentive/meticulous work ethic has pretty annoyed most of my co-workers. i just think my demeanor has slowly annoyed most people at my job, not to mention hearing insulting things about me from other employees is pretty disheartening. i decided just to stick to myself and was badgered because i wasn't talking. it's pretty much a lose/lose. even after explaining i just wasn't in the mood for talking to anyone except the customers... i just can't win with some people. not to mention i really don't have any friends who will hang out with me at any other time so it kinda just makes me feel shitty.

Hope you guys are doing ok. Thinking of you and positive vibes your ways.

+ son went on a three day trip with grandma/grandpa to a lake with 3 boats, 2 ski doos, camp fire grounds,private lake and a house that can hold 8 families and call late last night screaming how much fun he is having

+ I get three days with out a 4 yr old constantly asking me "why" something is the way it s

- my 4 yr old is growing up way to fast

- my whole left side of my stomach is the color of plum

- I'm about to get fired from one of my 8,000 jobs (golf course concessions). My sister is valedictorian and her graduation is tomorrow at 2pm. I work 11-4 on Sundays but thought her grad was at 6pm because the other high school in the town is 6pm today. I just thought they'd be the same. When I learned they weren't, I told my boss and he said, "ok, I'll cover your shift if you take Saturday 3:45-8". I agreed, then afterward I learned that while I wasn't home the night before my mom had fallen again. That's two falls in the same day with bad results. She got home from the doctor at 4pm and I learned about the fall and that the new plan is to rearrange my house so my mom is all on the first floor. Her bedroom is going to be the dining room, and we're doing all kinds of other work today. When I learned of this plan, I texted my boss saying I have to do this and can't work, and he immediately called me to bitch about how it fucks him over and if I don't show up, I'm getting written up and told me I'm "done" at the golf course. In reality, we're on a good pace that I probably can make it at 3:45, but at this point, fuck you for being such a dick about it. I could use the free time on weekends anyway.

can't tell if my day was a + or - yet.

i found out that a dude I went to college with is dating Zooey Deshuneel (i spelled it wrong I know). He wrote the screenplays for a couple crappy movies. I wish I wrote screenplays and or was a grip or electric. i spent my time in LA and it didn't work but that is for another day. it's a day of reflection. I have a real life, a wife, two kick ass kids, yet I still wonder daliy what my life would have been like had I stayed in LA.

at this point i'm pushing toward a -.

++++finished pushing timeshare bullshit forever

+started my new CAREER yesterday

-day 2 of an unpaid training course 2 hours from home. and even staying with friends its a 40-60 minute drive each way

+the dude teaching the course is great... im already considering coming back for it again next month

+so excited for the potential to actually do well.. to excel at a job.

+i want to be wealthy.

+ GIRLFRIEND COMES IN SIX DAYS!!!!

+/- just found out a friend got engaged. im happy for the both, and theyre great together. but it feels very forced. he has no financial stability, and she lives in england.

-I'm hella sore from working mostly all day, and I work mostly all day tomorrow too.

+I start moving into my apartment on Monday and I'm stoked.

-I have to get up at 7:30 tomorrow.

+I'm listening to records for the first time in 4 days because I've been working a bunch and have very little free time.

+++++++++++++++++++In 2 days I'm seeing Eisley and Merriment, and then 5 days later I get to see them again.

+ Mexican Brunch Buffet

- Mexican Brunch Buffet (After Shocks, toilet time)

+ Scored the last two Pliny the Elders at the liquer store

- Have to start work tomorrow at 2am

+ Going to catch up on Ancient Aliens today

+/- Received records in the mail last night that I don't remember ordering

++ Italy lost in soccer. Fuckin bitches make a mockery of an already-soft sport by flopping looking for cards/fouls rather than playing through anything and actually trying to win. Glad they got embarrassed with the biggest ever finals victory, then got to see them pout and storm off the field like the unsportsmanlike pieces of shit that they are.

+ the venue I work at, http://www.thebottletree.com, informed me that our top sound guy is going out on tour for quite some time this fall (I'm assuming the Bazan "Control" tour as he is Bazan's touring sound-guy) which opens up a sound position for me, stoooooked as hell even though I'll mainly be running sound for like open-mic nights and stuff like that at first.

+ had an insane day Saturday, 106 degree heat didn't keep us from having a blast, swam in the river, ate 3 popsicles at this rad new popsicle place here in town, had the top/doors off of the jeep all day, ate at one of my favorite mexican restaurants and one of my buddies that i never get to see (bastard's in med-school) ate with us.

- left the top/doors off of the jeep while the Euro final was on only to find that it was raining pretty heavily during the end of the game.....oh well, shit'll buffout.

+ Finally got electricity back on at my condo this morning @ 4am. It had been out since Friday around 5pm. Quite easily one of the most eventful yet boring weekends of my life. All things considered it could have been much worse. Seeing pictures of the fires in Colorado make me thankful for everything I have.

- Still waiting for my new king sized mattress I ordered from Amazon to arrive. It was scheduled to be delivered by UPS a week ago today. Still no sign of it. How on earth UPS could manage to misplace a box that weighs 108 pounds... I have no idea. And trying to work with Amazon or UPS has been a giant waste of time. Plenty of apologies but no mattress :/

• 2 weeks later...

- Two nights ago playing bar-league hockey I got slewfooted at center ice and tweaked my knee. It was sore but not too bad.

- Last night going hard to the net in another game I got tangled up and really tweaked it good. I sat out a few shifts, but finished the game.

- Today it hurts like hell if I have to put any weight on the knee... as opposed to standing straight, if I bend it and have weight it wants to give out.

I'm going to play a pick-up game tonight... wish me luck! Uninsured and taking bad risks is fun!

+ Hopefully if it is fucked up I can claim it on USA Hockey insurance because I really did hurt it in a sanctioned event.

- Two nights ago playing bar-league hockey I got slewfooted at center ice and tweaked my knee. It was sore but not too bad.

- Last night going hard to the net in another game I got tangled up and really tweaked it good. I sat out a few shifts, but finished the game.

- Today it hurts like hell if I have to put any weight on the knee... as opposed to standing straight, if I bend it and have weight it wants to give out.

I'm going to play a pick-up game tonight... wish me luck! Uninsured and taking bad risks is fun!

+ Hopefully if it is fucked up I can claim it on USA Hockey insurance because I really did hurt it in a sanctioned event.

My 2nd of 3 knee surgeries was the result of playing ice hockey already injured. The lateral motion required for skating is very hard on already weakened knees.

Gang, I'm 35 with knees like a 60 year old and it's all due to "toughing it out" as my coaches used to say. Trust me man, bow out today and you'll thank yourself later. Amateur sports are satisfying and fun but ultimately have little bearing on our longevity. It's simply not worth it. At my age with my history I play B-Ball once a week 8 months of the year and with my compounded injuries that is all my knees can handle beyond riding my bike and walking distances. Not caring for my body fully is the one real regret I have at my young age.

Take a break man, you'll be better for it.