TDKR- The Dark Knight Rises

TFP

Chris Nolan has revealed the new title for Batman 3, The Dark Knight Rises, and has also said that The Riddler will not be in the new film.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/10/2....e-t he-riddler/

I guess I like the title. It is unfortunate about The Riddler though, I would have loved to see Joseph Gordon Levitt as the mystery man.

i think if everyone hadnt hyped the riddler being apart of the 3rd, he may have been included. with all the hype behind the character, it was pretty much set up to fail (whereas even with ledger as the joker -- nobody really knew what to expect). crispin glover could have played an awesome riddler.

i also have to say ive been surprised by nolan's resistance to using the penguin (saying it was too unrealistic at one point) even though he could easily be transformed to fit the feel of these movies. afterall, the penguin is a real person in the stories (unlike killer croc or bane). he could easily be this completely cruel / powerful / etc. crime boss. enough to the carry a whole movie? probably not, but you know there will be two villains as there have been in the first two.

either way, the first two have been sooo good. i trust whatever hes got in the works for number 3.

oh, and im so happy it will NOT be in 3D.

Yeah, Crispin Glover would have been good. The thing with the Riddler is I got tired of hearing Johnny Depp for Riddler and Angelina Jolie as Catwoman. Those two actors kind of have become characachcures(sp) of themselves. Depp would have taken over the movie. Jolie I don't think of her as sleek enough.

And with Penguin there is a good mock-up of Phillip Seymore Hoffman out there as the Penguin I thought he would have been good.

I'd like to see a villain that hasn't been done yet. Killer Croc or Clayface would be sweet.

i don't know. there's a rumor that nolan wants to use killer croc, but i don't think that fits in with the tone of the first two movies at all. BB and DK transcended comic book movies by injecting some hardcore realism into what was a billionaire dressed up in a silly bat suite. i think they should save the cartoonish characters to uh.. the cartoons. DC has been pretty spot-on with their direct-to-dvd animated movies where they kind have more room to explore the more "comic book" villains.

its hard to imagine who'll they'll bring in now, as nolan was going to use joker in the third film before ledger died. i could see a return of two face or ra's al ghul. but i have a couple of dream scenarios. like using the holiday killer from the long halloween. or even hush. these villains aren't that known outside of comic book readers, but they have great stories behind them none the less.

or what if the movie was set 30-40 years into the future a la The Dark Knight Returns. bruce comes out of retirement to witness a totally fucked and decaying gotham city... and to battle the joker one last time (solved the casting problem right there.)

alright... /nerd rant.

i can't find it right now, but to combat that rumor, Nolan has also said in an interview he would never use characters like croc, clayface, or mr freeze because, just like podface said, they don't fit the atmosphere he has already created.

Also, I think the end of the Dark Knight is hinting at the return of Two-Face, as he is never actually declared dead or taken care of. We see the funeral and hear that "Harvey Dent is dead," but I took this as the character Harvey Dent is dead. Now we can see rise to Two-Face as a separate entity from Dent's previous life. Maybe this putting meaning into something that isn't actually in the film, but I wouldn't put that bit of clever foreshadowing past Chris Nolan.

i could see a return of two face or ra's al ghul. but i have a couple of dream scenarios. like using the holiday killer from the long halloween. or even hush. these villains aren't that known outside of comic book readers, but they have great stories behind them none the less.

or what if the movie was set 30-40 years into the future a la The Dark Knight Returns. bruce comes out of retirement to witness a totally fucked and decaying gotham city... and to battle the joker one last time (solved the casting problem right there.)

alright... /nerd rant.

i wouldn't be surprised if ra's al ghul is back, because you don't actually see him die and what a way to end it than with the man who helped him with the skills to become batman. plus i heard marion cotillard turned down an unnamed part for the movie, my guess is catwoman or better yet, talia al ghul. and i'm all for tom hardy playing hush. that is my first choice if he is signed on to be a villain because it would be awesome to see someone from bruce's past come at him.

i know this could have just been nolan talking a few years ago considering they hadn't even started working on the script, but i really think two face is dead. he said he wouldn't come back and i believe him. yes i know we don't see his body after he fell, but why would gordon keep it a secret and either hide him somewhere or let him go? before i saw dark knight i was totally expecting him to transform near the end of the movie setting up him as the villain in the final movie. but i think nolan tricked everyone and is going to make it even better with batman having to fight a villain while being chased for real this time from the cops.

and also in 5 years when they want to reboot the franchise i'm all for making a dark knight returns movie. yes everyone will compare it to the the dark knight considering it has joker and two face in it, but it will be completely different. the only problem is dc doesn't want to combine characters like marvel is doing right now, and you can't make a dark knight returns movie without superman.

I hope it's announced that Tom Hardy's going to play the main villain, he's the only thing that has me interested in this movie so far.

He's rumored to be Detective Harvey Bullock right now, but I'd love to see him as a villain.

For villains, please, PLEASE no Catwoman or Penguin. I'm really glad Nolan isn't going to use The Riddler, too. The Joker in TDK kind of absorbed some of the traits of the Riddler by leaving clues/riddles as to who he was targeting next. Having The Riddler in this would be too same-y, I think.

My top choice for this would be Bane. I think Tom Hardy could do an excellent job as him if he bulked up a bit(also, if they decide to cast him as a villain). Plus, it would make up for that bastardization of the character in the 90's. Such a fucking waste, especially since Bane is the only one to have ever broken Batman. If that doesn't happen, Hardy could definitely pull off Killer Croc and I think Nolan could do an excellent job making him more realistic. Black Mask would work very well in this movie, too. I think Zsasz could be a very likely possibility to be a villain since he was shown briefly in Batman Begins.

I'm way too excited for this movie, haha.

Although it would be great if they went with Penguin and brought back Danny DeVito.

if this happened, i couldn't take that character seriously. all i could do is think of frank from sunny in a penguin suit.

That honestly didn't occur to me but now it's the only way I can picture it, and that makes me really want to see it. Batman should team up with Day Man.

My top choice for this would be Bane. I think Tom Hardy could do an excellent job as him if he bulked up a bit(also, if they decide to cast him as a villain).

Have you seen Hardy in "Bronson"? I think that's about as big as he can get and still appear credible. When I think of Bane I think of a white version of Michael Clarke Duncan from "The Green Mile". Him and Killer Croc are both prolly a little too outlandish for Nolan's Batman films. Though it would be a sweet ending to this incarnation of Batman with him having his spine broke. That'd be a stunner for the audience.

Of everybody mentioned in this thread I think Hush makes the most sense.

if they used Hush they would have to totally change around the story... or figure out a way to introduce batman's entire rogue gallery in 2 and a half hours. also, it would be a bit risky to use a villain that's relatively new (2003?) for a comic book that's been around for since the 40's.

to bring back ra's ah ghul, they'd have to reference the fact that he's already centuries old and never dies because he uses the lazarus pit. but again, kind of fucks with the realistic tone of the first two movies.

using the holiday killer would connect this movie pretty nicely with BB, as the long halloween/dark victory had a lot to do with gotham's mob scene. the villain (who will rename nameless for those who haven't read the books.. but should cause they're amazing) is totally credible and fits in with the gritty/realistic tone already established. plus, these books deal with batman as a detective, solving a mystery... something that hasn't really been explored yet.

so i guess my vote goes towards the holiday killer. then again, i remember way back when they announced BB, i was confused/disappointed at the choice of villains, and we all saw how that turned out. so i have faith in nolan.

on a side note, did anyone see the chris evans/cap picture for entertainment weekly. i was like "no way can that dude even look the part.." i was wrong, my faith has been restored.

yeah.. he looked real cool... but thats not enough to win me over. dude cant act for shit. the only thing i liked him in was scott pilgrim... where he was playing a bad actor.

Also, I think the end of the Dark Knight is hinting at the return of Two-Face, as he is never actually declared dead or taken care of. We see the funeral and hear that "Harvey Dent is dead," but I took this as the character Harvey Dent is dead. Now we can see rise to Two-Face as a separate entity from Dent's previous life. Maybe this putting meaning into something that isn't actually in the film, but I wouldn't put that bit of clever foreshadowing past Chris Nolan.

In an interview Aaron Eckhart specifically said that Two-Face died from the fall, his neck broken. The script also reveals this. Two-Face isn't coming back.

Probably.