Screamo bands with fragile egos.

EDIT: To all who are coming here from absolutepunk.net, I want to make it clear that I did in fact play the CD in question from start to finish at least once, as I do with everything I listen to for capsule reviews. The "20 seconds" thing was an overexaggeration playing into the message the band wrote me. Please, come in and stay awhile, this is one of the best music-themed message boards on the internet, as far as I'm concerned.

In this month's issue of AP, I did a capsule review of this screamo band Ice Nine Kills and panned the release. Here's what I wrote:

ICE NINE KILLS **

The Burning EP (RED BLUE; redbluerecords.com)

WHO? You know that band who try to add you, like, every goddamn day on MySpace? Yeah. These are those guys.

SOUNDS LIKE? A band who spend too much time adding people on MySpace and not enough time trying to break out of the nü-screamo mold.

HOW IS IT? Their drummer is really, really sick (feel that double-bass!), but everything else is pretty bland and forgettable.

ROCKS LIKE: Hawthorne Heights, the Used, Escape The Fate

So then I just get a message from the band on my personal myspace account titled "thanks for the review in AP." Here's what they had to say:

hey Scott,

we just read what alt press had to say about our new EP....

not only is it clear that the person who wrote it didn't listen to more then 20 seconds (we are far from bland and forgettable) but the article portrayed us as some bullshit myspace band who just sits on their asses adding friends all day...when in reality we have been busting our tails on a DIY tour for the last 3 months...pushing more cd's then bands that have 10x the budget we do.

we are not on a big label, matt galle isn't our booking agent, and we don't have thousands and thousands of dollars for marketing. but what we do have is the drive and the heart to make it in this game...and believe me, we will.

Here's a link to someone who actually listened to our album:

http://rockfreaks.net/?page=albumreviews&id=914

-ICE NINE KILLS

For the record, I don't think I did bother to listen to more than 20 seconds of their absolutely horrendous, embarrassingly slapped-together screamy bullshit, but I'm currently listening to the songs on their myspace page ( http://www.myspace.com/iceninekills ) and I'm sticking with my assessment.

Also, this band has tried to add various accounts I maintain on MySpace roughly 800,000 times -- they also would spam the hell out of the AP myspace comments section until I blocked their profile.

I just checked them out, and it was extremely derivative. You're review seems accurate. Their reply kind of reminds me of (in keeping with this months avatar theme) that David Cross bit about how everyone in hollywood: "...and you know what? They're ALL going to make it!".

There are 10,000 screamo bands on MySpace, and you know what? They're ALL going to make it.

Also, how about the Irony of contacting you via MySpace to defend their supposed over-use of myspace?

dude, the review they link to is absolutely hilarious.

The promotional stats say it all, over one and a half million Myspace plays, #1 downloaded band in Purevolume.com in the US, and #2 selling CD on Smartpunk.com. Lets not forget that the fans on these sites tend to be in the first wave, recognizing the up and coming acts about a year before the mainstream media discovers and shoots them into worldwide super stardom. These numbers don't lie.

Oh that band is horrendous. Something my co-worker would like as all he listens to is fearless bands...and THRASH UNREAL (i played it for him as a joke and now he loves them)

yea, 58,340 people usually means that they whored and emailed everyone on myspace. I hate crap like that and usually mark it spam for even attempting to have me listen to your shitty band. My buddy does that, and has 59,344 friends and writes in my comment list daily about where he's playing or when the last time he took a shit (and he does this too all his friends) and his music sux. He's trying to be the next John Mayer or something with cheezy lyrics about "oceans sweeping him away" or something.

Guest genericinsight

It's good to have confidence but I hate bands that get all butthurt when someone doesn't like them. They need to learn to take criticism or they're far from going to "make it".