Tax Season - Advice, Tips, Etc.

I'm debating on whether to take my taxes to a place like H&R Block to get them done or not. In previous years I've just used Turbo Tax and done them myself because i have a pretty simple return; just me, one job, no dependents, don't own a house, just have one consolidated student loan i'm paying back.

Has anyone ever used H&R block? good/bad experiences?

I don't know if it would be worth it for me to pay someone else to do mine, but i don't want to miss something.

Anybody on here a CPA who can offer any advice?

what's funny is since i work for the department of revenue, everyone assumes that i have some insider access to getting my taxes done correctly. we get about 10 emails a year detailing how we cannot access anyone's tax records (even our own) unless it's for official business, and cannot have someone here do our taxes for us.

i'll probably just wind up using turbo tax again.

I am on a government grant while I am getting my phd which does not get taxed. I started on it in the middle of the 2009 year, so for my 2009 taxes I filed a report for my other income, but a tax professional told me I didn't have to do anything with the grant income.

So this year I was on the grant all year. Do I not have to file a return? Do I file one with zero taxable income? I own a house. I guess I technically made some money on interest, but it was just a few dollars of interest on my savings account. It would be nice to not have to do anything.

I've also been using the H&R Block online for a few years now for my federal, and just do my Wisconsin taxes on the Wisconsin state tax site. H&R is free and its just like the programs that you buy. I believe its free for people who make under $75k or something. It's always been quick and painless for me, and I set it up to have the refund direct deposited and I've been getting it within like a week of filing.

I am on a government grant while I am getting my phd which does not get taxed. I started on it in the middle of the 2009 year, so for my 2009 taxes I filed a report for my other income, but a tax professional told me I didn't have to do anything with the grant income.

So this year I was on the grant all year. Do I not have to file a return? Do I file one with zero taxable income? I own a house. I guess I technically made some money on interest, but it was just a few dollars of interest on my savings account. It would be nice to not have to do anything.

my best friend is in the same situation, but i'm sure that his mom does his taxes and he has no idea. or he has some other weirdo smart harvard kid do them for him.

i have been wondering the same thing.

my wife and i always have filed together but nothing really difficult in doing so. we usually use turbo tax.

now that we have two 5 months old to add into our taxes i am skeptical about doing this ourselves. i am afraid that we might miss money that someone else like H&R block or someone else would pick up.

I balance a job, freelance work, a small LLC, a joint filing with my wife, a home and a baby. The only time my taxes have ever been screwed up was by a CPA. I have a moderate tax liability to the IRS from 2008 with a fat 20% penalty. I owe the money and would pay it off but I am fighting the penalty since it is highly punative for a paperwork error that I am more than willing to correct.

My point - no matter who you have touch your taxes always have the work double checked on some level.

Sounds like you have a pretty simple filing though so if is just a 1040 or 1040ez then you are totally safe in using the free Turbo Tax.

I'm 99% sure you still have to file. I believe my brother was in the same situation a couple years ago, and was similarly confused as to whether to file or not. Can't totally recall what the outcome was, but still having to file rings a bell.

I'm 99% sure you still have to file. I believe my brother was in the same situation a couple years ago, and was similarly confused as to whether to file or not. Can't totally recall what the outcome was, but still having to file rings a bell.

I had a grant the past two years when I was doing my master's degree and was given a form to voluntarily have taxes taken out (the logic being that it would be better to have it happen $45/paycheck than one big chunk at the end of the year). Since my W-2 just had like $1000 in taxes with no income, I had to look at my paystubs to get my income and file my taxes that way.

but yeah, I *think* grants aren't taxed but are taxable

I had a grant the past two years when I was doing my master's degree and was given a form to voluntarily have taxes taken out (the logic being that it would be better to have it happen $45/paycheck than one big chunk at the end of the year). Since my W-2 just had like $1000 in taxes with no income, I had to look at my paystubs to get my income and file my taxes that way.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/students/article/0,,id=96674,00.html

from what i'm reading on the internet, it looks like stipend money spent on living expenses is taxable, but money spent on school things (books, etc) is exempt.

the internet is often wrong, however.

I'm debating on whether to take my taxes to a place like H&R Block to get them done or not. In previous years I've just used Turbo Tax and done them myself because i have a pretty simple return; just me, one job, no dependents, don't own a house, just have one consolidated student loan i'm paying back.

Has anyone ever used H&R block? good/bad experiences?

I don't know if it would be worth it for me to pay someone else to do mine, but i don't want to miss something.

Anybody on here a CPA who can offer any advice?

I'm a CPA. I used Turbo Tax for the first time last year for all of the friends and family returns that I do and I felt it did a nice job of covering all the bases. Just don't skip through screens that ask questions. Read the questions and if it's at all applicable, follow it through.

And if you can find someone with the disc, borrow it because they don't limit how many people can install it on their computers.

I started off using the free federal version of Turbo Tax, and even though I don't qualify for the freebie anymore (have to file a proper 1040) I still use it every year. They keep your info on file (addy, employer, etc) so it goes pretty quick, and it seems like they do a decent job of digging to find exemptions and things that will boost your refund.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/students/article/0,,id=96674,00.html

from what i'm reading on the internet, it looks like stipend money spent on living expenses is taxable, but money spent on school things (books, etc) is exempt.

the internet is often wrong, however.

thanks for that link

I try to plug my numbers in to a few free services (H&R Block, Turbo Tax, etc) just to see what figures I get. Sometimes one asks about a deduction outside of the standard deductions that the other doesn't. I've found I usually get more deductions with one or the other. But I usually go back and forth between the two. Sounds weird, I know, but just try it. Could get you a few hundred more bucks.

last year I took mine to the goodwill offices because they would do them for free for anyone who makes up to 50 k. Probably not the wisest decision on my part half the time the lady doing my taxes was clicking the right button on the mouse & getting confused as to whats going on.