Euthanizing my dog tomorrow morning.

I just went through this last Thursday (the 5th). Its fucking depressing as shit, especially after 13 years. Its pretty damn hard, but just enjoy whatever time you have left. Its really hard to hold them as it happens, but when they are gone (and no longer have to deal with the sickness/problems/pain of late) I felt a stange relief. Miss her like crazy though - best of luck man.

Stay strong dude, I hope it all works out for the best for both you and your dog. It really freaks me out just thinking about something happening to my dog, I can't imagine how I'll feel the day it comes down to this.

shit sucks i have no shame admitting i broke down in tears like a child when I lost my dog earlier this year. I had him for 14 years, but the worse part is I was watching him die and i had to leave to go to work.

Wow, that is awful man. Fuck that noise. :C

terribly sorry to hear about that. i havent gone through it yet, but i can only imagine how hard it has to be.

plus dogs are the fucking best. it totally sucks when the world is without one.

my dogs getting old. thursday marked 11 years since we got her, and shes 14 now.

i never noticed her aging at all, but i swear it started once i moved out. seems like every time i go home now, shes struggling more and more. hips are going quickly, and her hearing isnt the same.

ive already decided that once it comes down to it, im going to get a tattoo that has something to do with kevin devine's 'murphy's song'. i know that once shes gone, its going to be brutal. for a long time she really did seem like the only soul that really really loved me.

We have a bunch of dogs, all younger so nothing like this yet but we are currently dog sitting my gf's childhood dog. The dog stays with her parents and she is really well behaved but she is getting older and is starting to have hearing/vision problems. I feel really bad but her time is coming up.

Sorry to hear about this man. Drink your face off.

My childhood dog died suddenly when I was 17, and I had had her since I was 3. I came home from school and she was lying at the bottom of the stairs in a pool of what looked like vomit. I knew right away she was in trouble because I couldn't get her to make eye contact with me at all. Turns out she had a tumor in her stomach or something, and it just burst. The vet said there was probably no way they could have discovered it beforehand.

It was also September 11th, 2001, which made it even crazier.

It was a really tough day, especially standing there watching them put her to sleep. (I am actually getting sad just thinking about right now). I still keep one of her dogtags on my keychain.

I have a new dog now and he is amazing, but I waited 9 years before getting a new one. I just don't think that I was ready to get a new dog right away. I always think it's weird when people get the same dog immediately after their old one dies, and it's especially weird when they name it the same.

we had to have my cat put to sleep when i was 13 and i was a wreck. he had been part of our family longer than i had been, and my mom was ultra devastated. he lost control of his bladder and you could tell that he was mortified that he couldn't make it to the litter box, cuz he was the most fastideous cat ever. the saddest part was that he had white 'mittens' on his paws and always kept that fur ridiculously white and in his last few days they started to get dirty because he didn't even have the strength to clean them.

my sister and i had the choice of going and watching him get put to sleep, and i'm really glad that i went, because i got to see how peaceful he was when he died. i think it's actually good that we can put our animal friends out of their misery when the time comes, but it's still so rough.

keep your chin up! it'll be hard, but things will eventually get better.

I'm truly sorry for your loss. I couldn't handle going to the vet to watch them put my dog to sleep. It was surreal and way too painful to go and see it done. I just said, "See you later" (out of confusion/panic not callousness) as my parents took her to the vet. To this day, I regret not going.

I'm truly sorry for your loss. I couldn't handle going to the vet to watch them put my dog to sleep. It was surreal and way too painful to go and see it done. I just said, "See you later" (out of confusion/panic not callousness) as my parents took her to the vet. To this day, I regret not going.

Yep, as horrible as it is to watch your beloved pet die, I'm glad I did it because I think I would have regretted like you if I hadn't.

Wow, 16 years thats a good old age for a dog! Just be happy for the years that you have had. Almost had to go through the same thing a month ago, 20 grand later the dog is getting better but now has cancer. Im right there with you with the same time period, its really the worst.. I cant really remember not having the dog.. been my best friend for my whole life really.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to post in a really sad/old thread, but I just have to. My parents just told me they spoke with the vet today who told them that it was time for us to make our decision about our dog which we have had since I was seven...

I have been crying all day, even at work which is not a good look when you work in a hospital and need to talk with patients and their families all day.  My dog will be 19 years old in only two months and she has been amazingly healthy, but the past month or so she has taken a bit of a bad turn, not being able to stand up, falling down, pacing incessantly.  She is the only pet I have ever had and for the past few years I always worried about this day coming, but I don't want her to suffer. Finding this thread was helpful because I have tried to talk to my parents, both my brothers, and my friends on the phone but I just can't get out any words without crying...

Sorry to unload/bum anyone out, but this sucks :(  

This is the worst man. I had to do it with one of my parents dogs about 5 years ago and will have to do it again within the next month. It feels as bad as losing a relative, sometimes even worse. But you just have to remember that it's not worth keeping them alive and suffering, right?

I'm sorry to hear :( It's been a while since I lost a pet (my rabbit, when I was 13) but the connection between a loyal furry friend and a human being is something that cannot be duplicated easily. My dog is getting old and I feel like I will be in the same position before I know it. I feel for you, and I hope your dog can end her suffering and you can find peace

aww I am so sorry :(

and yup, feel this. lost both of my dogs (shelties) that I've had since I was 9 within the same month of each other. They were in love. After the first one died, the 2nd one would literally go lay in the corner facing the wall, all day.