Opinion on Variant Collectors.

I can see the point of having like 2 copies of a record, on for display and one for listening. Though I've never gotten to appeal of owning 6 copies of a record, I can understand for resale and trade but other then that why, they all sound the same only on different colors. I have a fellow collector in my school who has a good amount of money so he does things like buys 6 copies of The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me, and hopes to get all 11 colors, I've asked to have one or buy one off him and he refuses to budge. I asked him why he wants 11 copies of the same record and he told me "I don't know it's jut cool man". With this record about $150 a copy you're telling me you want to spend upwards of $1650 on a piece of plastic that does the same thing as the ones you have but looks different just because "it's cool". He then explained to me how he's most likely never going to sell them because, he's gone though the trouble of getting them. Which in my mind if you're hording these disc of plastic that do nothing different then the last, with no intention to sell you're wasting money.

I recently bought all eight pressings of Converge's All We Love We Leave Behind. Variant collecting is not just for records. People do this with toys and action figures, stamps, etcetera. I don't understand why people will disapprove. Are they just jealous? Yes, you may listen to only one record, but it's a sense of collecting that keeps me buying all variants. It's a hobby. It's a passion. You value your opinions, I value mine. Yes, we are buying the album multiple times, but it's not as if we are buying the same variant over and over, and then jacking up prices on eBay.

If you have money to blow and enjoy collecting, variant collecting is the way to go.

0W6ZT.gif

I can see the point of having like 2 copies of a record, on for display and one for listening. Though I've never gotten to appeal of owning 6 copies of a record, I can understand for resale and trade but other then that why, they all sound the same only on different colors. I have a fellow collector in my school who has a good amount of money so he does things like buys 6 copies of The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me, and hopes to get all 11 colors, I've asked to have one or buy one off him and he refuses to budge. I asked him why he wants 11 copies of the same record and he told me "I don't know it's jut cool man". With this record about $150 a copy you're telling me to want to spend upwards of $1650 on a piece of plastic that does the same thing as the ones you have but looks different just because "it's cool". He then explained to me how he's most likely never going to sell them because, he's gone though the trouble of getting them. Which in my mind if you're hording these disc of plastic that do nothing different then the last, with no intention to sell you're wasting money.

they're made of vinyl. not plastic.

but you're just straight up discounting hobbyists as if they're buying those fisher price 7"s. "you guys my friend has a bunch of this album i really want. and he spent way more on them then i'd be willing to... why won't he GIVE me one?!?!?"

i have 8 copies of devil & god. you can't have any. i'll sell you one for $30 though.

Personally, different record colors dont appeal much to me, lately if I have two copies of the same record, its mainly because the US versus EU pressing thing. The difference can be huge (everything from the printing quality to the how the record sounds). Recent examples: The Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles box set, Scott Walker - The Drift reissue, Sigur Ros - Valtari.

I just got myself Deftones Koi No Yokan canadian pressing and there is a "STERLING" stamper in the deadwax. Im very interested to compare it with my EU pressing (no "STERLING" in the deadwax)

"Vinyl is resistant to moisture and humidity.

It is a very strong and durable plastic material." http://www.whatisvinyl.com/

Right in that instance plastic is used as an adjective, not a noun. In the same way that your brain is plastic, vinyl is plastic.

Also trying to show up rybread is a terrible idea