Albums That Should Be Pressed on Vinyl

The band had the whole album written, and FBR told them to rewrite it and make it more "popular" and mainstream.

Seems like that was a smart move on FBR's part considering the critical acclaim and how many copies it's sold. fun can always just finish out their contract and then once they're independent, write the music they meant to write in the first place if Some Nights did not come out how they intended. They knew what they were committing themselves to signing to FBR, let alone most labels. This is a business. If you sign to a label like FBR or most labels of that caliber, part of what comes with that is making music that is going to actually sell, not make music that is only aesthetically pleasing to about 2 to 3 thousand fans.

The band had the whole album written, and FBR told them to rewrite it and make it more "popular" and mainstream.

Wow, I had no idea about that. Makes sense, though.

IMO Some Nights is... okay. There's a few good songs but the hip hop-esque production really hurts it as a whole.

i don't give a shit about this band or FBR, but is there any source to confirm this? i just want to check it out due to my own curiosity

I've heard it everywhere since before the album ever came out. I have no source, but when you hear it from dozens of places and people, you generally accept it.

Seems like that was a smart move on FBR's part considering the critical acclaim and how many copies it's sold. fun can always just finish out their contract and then once they're independent, write the music they meant to write in the first place if Some Nights did not come out how they intended. They knew what they were committing themselves to signing to FBR, let alone most labels. This is a business. If you sign to a label like FBR or most labels of that caliber, part of what comes with that is making music that is going to actually sell, not make music that is only aesthetically pleasing to about 2 to 3 thousand fans.

I'm not saying they didn't know what they were getting into. They've become more popular and famous than just about any other band that started out like they did. I don't claim to have any inside knowledge as to their contract or if they're happy with all this, but more people are obviously hearing their music than ever before. I'm not claiming its all FBR's doing. Of course the band knew what to expect when they signed a contract.

aim & ignite is a great album. I saw them play in NYC in front of like 50 people right after this came out. Played 3 format songs too. 

Some Nights is not for me. Overproduced radio songs, but it has made them uber-successful so good for them I guess.  

I can see Nate Ruess doing a solo album after they break up in 2-3 years, and it will be terrible. 

I've heard it everywhere since before the album ever came out. I have no source, but when you hear it from dozens of places and people, you generally accept it.

i just feel i've heard the "nah man..once they signed with _______ they were totally forced to go mainstream" theory several times before with a lot of bands and even when they eventually leave whatever label they signed with, their music is still worse than their older material.