Thrice - Major Minor PO

also, does anyone else think that the pacing of this album kinda sucks?

Nope.

i feel like it's really top heavy. i know i still need to listen to this straight through more but i think that nearly every song using the quiet verse/loud chorus doesn't break up the overall sound for me at this point. still really like the album and was a really big fan of Beggars just Major/Minor is taking longer to grow on me

Which part? The one where I bought both copies? The part where I'm not really a fan of Thrice but this album is pretty good so far. Or the part where I'd sell both or trade both records?

really the whole situation haha
\

haha

yeah its all real.

I decided to keep one copy and sell the other one.

i feel like it's really top heavy. i know i still need to listen to this straight through more but i think that nearly every song using the quiet verse/loud chorus doesn't break up the overall sound for me at this point. still really like the album and was a really big fan of Beggars just Major/Minor is taking longer to grow on me

Really? That's interesting. Everyone I've talked to has claimed that Beggars took longer to appeal to them than Major/Minor. Which I feel is true -- the beauty with M/M is that it hooks early on, and just continues to grow and grow.

I've only listened to the album from start to finish, all the times I've spun it. Definitely suits the record well. What exactly do you mean when you say that the album is top heavy? I feel like the first half of the album is geared a little more towards accessible vibes and catchy choruses [with the exception of Call It In The Air's dark and mathy bridge.] The second half, to me, is a little more somber, mature, and Thrice-sounding. [Minus Anthology, which isn't so much somber as it is amazing.]

I don't know. I feel like the people who "get" Major/Minor are the ones who listen to the album in fall, and grasp the flow. I can see why a lot of people think that the record is mediocre at best... but I feel like a few genuine, focused, complete plays will change the verdict of even the most critical listeners.

i didn't like the album much on first listen, but after a few more times it became one of my new favorites. there's much more of a subtle complexity to it--at first i felt like it was almost too straight-forward. "blinded", "words in the water", and "disarmed" are my favorites. i still can't get into "cataracts".

i didn't like the album much on first listen, but after a few more times it became one of my new favorites. there's much more of a subtle complexity to it--at first i felt like it was almost too straight-forward. "blinded", "words in the water", and "disarmed" are my favorites. i still can't get into "cataracts".

The chorus on Blinded, Cataracts, and Treading Paper almost have a little too much pop-shine / cheese / U2 to them. Which is something I would never expect from Thrice, so kudos to them for exploring new sounds and pushing their boundaries, yet again. I'm sure they'll grow on me over time.

Another thing I noticed about this album... is that regardless of whether or not I actually love the song, each and every track gets stuck in my head. At first I wasn't terribly impressed with the chorus of Blur or Listen Through Me... but after they rung in my head at work for a day, I couldn't help but appreciate them the next time I'd actually play them. (Though to be fair, it's actually the pre-chorus of the latter that gets me. Hot damn.)

I haven't "loved" a Thrice album on a first-listen basis since... Artist In The Ambulance -- but to be fair, that's only because I was quite into the genre at the time. Vheissu, Beggars, and especially The Alchemy Index all forced me to explore new waters, musically, and listen with an open mind. Major/Minor continues that challenge. I genuinely believe I wouldn't be half as into this band if they released albums that were immediately catchy, straight forward, and rewarding.

Really? That's interesting. Everyone I've talked to has claimed that Beggars took longer to appeal to them than Major/Minor. Which I feel is true -- the beauty with M/M is that it hooks early on, and just continues to grow and grow.

I've only listened to the album from start to finish, all the times I've spun it. Definitely suits the record well. What exactly do you mean when you say that the album is top heavy? I feel like the first half of the album is geared a little more towards accessible vibes and catchy choruses [with the exception of Call It In The Air's dark and mathy bridge.] The second half, to me, is a little more somber, mature, and Thrice-sounding. [Minus Anthology, which isn't so much somber as it is amazing.]

I don't know. I feel like the people who "get" Major/Minor are the ones who listen to the album in fall, and grasp the flow. I can see why a lot of people think that the record is mediocre at best... but I feel like a few genuine, focused, complete plays will change the verdict of even the most critical listeners.

that's pretty much my point, all the heaviest tracks are in the first half of the while the second half is softer. it's a bit polarizing which is fine and is sort of keeping in terms with title of the album kinda.

but i guess for me the songs aren't diverse enough to break my attention up a little which is why i think i liked Beggars so much right away. i know Major/Minor will grow on me more and more as i get to know the songs better.

The chorus on Blinded, Cataracts, and Treading Paper almost have a little too much pop-shine / cheese / U2 to them. Which is something I would never expect from Thrice, so kudos to them for exploring new sounds and pushing their boundaries, yet again. I'm sure they'll grow on me over time.

Another thing I noticed about this album... is that regardless of whether or not I actually love the song, each and every track gets stuck in my head. At first I wasn't terribly impressed with the chorus of Blur or Listen Through Me... but after they rung in my head at work for a day, I couldn't help but appreciate them the next time I'd actually play them. (Though to be fair, it's actually the pre-chorus of the latter that gets me. Hot damn.)

I haven't "loved" a Thrice album on a first-listen basis since... Artist In The Ambulance -- but to be fair, that's only because I was quite into the genre at the time. Vheissu, Beggars, and especially The Alchemy Index all forced me to explore new waters, musically, and listen with an open mind. Major/Minor continues that challenge. I genuinely believe I wouldn't be half as into this band if they released albums that were immediately catchy, straight forward, and rewarding.

i think what sells me on "blinded" is the powerful percussion. and for some reason, to me it sounds like a song that could've been done by circa survive.

i really like the mellow tracks near the end. i get a huge moving mountains vibe from a lot of it.

and i agree, the challenging yet rewarding accessibility of their albums is probably one of the reasons i stick with them, because they're constantly evolving their sound. for whatever reason, i still can't get into vheissu. that's still my least favorite release of theirs.

that's pretty much my point, all the heaviest tracks are in the first half of the while the second half is softer.

waitwut?

Call It In The Air gets fairly "heavy" - as far as heavy goes, for this Thrice release - and it's smack-dab in the middle of the record. Yellow Belly is pretty aggressive, and it kicks off the album. Blur hits hard, is towards the back end. Not counting the heavy stuff, tracks like Anthology and Promises pack a lot of energy in a straight "jam" kind of way... and those are spaced out pretty well, too.

Not trying to change your personal take on the album or anything. I'd say Treading Paper and Words In The Water are the only two "tame" songs, in terms of being mellow. And those are both technically in the back-half, so I can see where you're coming from.

And as an aside, I love WITW to death. And I'm apparently not alone: thick, apparent, religious undertones can't weight down the beauty of that track.

i think what sells me on "blinded" is the powerful percussion. and for some reason, to me it sounds like a song that could've been done by circa survive.

i really like the mellow tracks near the end. i get a huge moving mountains vibe from a lot of it.

and i agree, the challenging yet rewarding accessibility of their albums is probably one of the reasons i stick with them, because they're constantly evolving their sound. for whatever reason, i still can't get into vheissu. that's still my least favorite release of theirs.

Totally agree with almost all of this. (The lack of Vheissu love is where I draw the line. ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a Circa Survive vibe from the poppier stuff. I can't help but to think of I Felt Free when I hear the chorus to Treading Paper. Neither sound alike, really, but they both have that optimistic, soaring feeling.

And yes, in case I misled anyone - there's not a single "bad" song on this album, in my opinion. Even the few songs that have a chorus or verse that I'm not so crazy about, there's definitely something else to [more than] make up for the segment that will likely grow on me, over time. I'm absolutely perplexed by anyone who says that every track sounds similar on Major/Minor. But to each their own.

I'm just glad we can all agree that it's a solid release. Thrice seems to raise the bar with each release, and I never quite know what to expect. So glad - though not really surprised - that this album delivers.

Yeah I'm just not able to put into words very well how I completely feel about this album as whole other than that I like it but that it kinda all runs together. Words In the Water is definitely the stand out track to me because it has a slow unrushed build in it. Several reviews I've read, including one from Scott if I'm not mistaken, all kinda point to what I'm trying to get at in that a lot of the songs kinda feel similar. In the case of AP it was too many uptempo songs in a row. Very minor yes but I know I'll get over it soon enough.

I'm probably putting way too much thought into as whole and just need to enjoy it for awhile and then come back and look at it more annilitically.

Yeah I'm just not able to put into words very well how I completely feel about this album as whole other than that I like it but that it kinda all runs together. Words In the Water is definitely the stand out track to me because it has a slow unrushed build in it. Several reviews I've read, including one from Scott if I'm not mistaken, all kinda point to what I'm trying to get at in that a lot of the songs kinda feel similar. In the case of AP it was too many uptempo songs in a row. Very minor yes but I know I'll get over it soon enough.

I'm probably putting way too much thought into as whole and just need to enjoy it for awhile and then come back and look at it more annilitically.

Yeah, my only super-minor complaint was that the bulk of the record is really in-your-face, and so it can get just a bit fatiguing. But it's really a compliment toward how good the songs are.

Also, I ordered from Oldies.com the other day and my order shipped yesterday. Pumped!