What books are you reading?

just started reading "S" by doug dorst and jj abrams. 

only a chapter in, but i'm hooked--reminds me a lot of "house of leaves" which is one of my absolute favorites. the presentation alone is worth it. pretty amazed by all of the little extras they included. basically it's a fictional book written by a highly-regarded/controversial fictional author with handwritten marginal notes back and forth by two other characters. its a really nice hardcover that's made to look like a library book. they also included a ton of supplemental information/notes/postcards/photos and a decoder that you can take out and look at. there's stuff written on university ledger and even a napkin. its pretty crazy. i got target to price match walmart.com so it was only $21. gorgeous.

41-oATFYEQL.jpg

just started reading "S" by doug dorst and jj abrams.

only a chapter in, but i'm hooked--reminds me a lot of "house of leaves" which is one of my absolute favorites. the presentation alone is worth it. pretty amazed by all of the little extras they included. basically it's a fictional book written by a highly-regarded/controversial fictional author with handwritten marginal notes back and forth by two other characters. its a really nice hardcover that's made to look like a library book. they also included a ton of supplemental information/notes/postcards/photos and a decoder that you can take out and look at. there's stuff written on university ledger and even a napkin. its pretty crazy. i got target to price match walmart.com so it was only $21. gorgeous.

41-oATFYEQL.jpg

I'm gonna have to check this out. It sounds fantastic!

I'm reading A Slice Of Canada: A Memoir by Watson Kirkconnell. He was my great great uncle and from what I've been told he was a really interesting dude. He wrote something like 200 books, though most were translations of Slovakian, Icelandic, and Ukranian poems. The book is tough as hell to read though, as he writes like a text book.

BOOK LOVERS, I need your help! I'm trying to complete my first edition collection of Chuck Palahniuk books.

There's some on eBay but I'd prefer to try to work with someone on here. Maybe trade some records or something?

They don't have to be signed or anything, all I ask is that they're in good condition. 

The final ones I need are:

Man, I had a signed copy of Invisible Monsters once and no idea what I did with it.

Fun story. I had a signed copy of Post Cards From the Future that I just never watched again after a couple views, tried to sell it to multiple retailers, NO ONE would take it. Finally sold it to Half Price Books for about a dollar because they didn't know shit and thought it wouldn't sell.

They put it on the shelf for $50. It sold.

Man, I had a signed copy of Invisible Monsters once and no idea what I did with it.

Fun story. I had a signed copy of Post Cards From the Future that I just never watched again after a couple views, tried to sell it to multiple retailers, NO ONE would take it. Finally sold it to Half Price Books for about a dollar because they didn't know shit and thought it wouldn't sell.

They put it on the shelf for $50. It sold.

Well, if you happen to find it, let me know! I'd be happy to give it a lovely home :P

That's pretty cool. I've never really looked into his other stuff besides his books. Once I get all the 1st editions I'll move onto the smaller stuff like the inserts he did for magazines and such.

Well, if you happen to find it, let me know! I'd be happy to give it a lovely home :P

That's pretty cool. I've never really looked into his other stuff besides his books. Once I get all the 1st editions I'll move onto the smaller stuff like the inserts he did for magazines and such.

I wouldn't mind owning the copy of Playboy that featured "Guts"

Congrats on that win, man! I wouldn't mind owning hardcovers of all his stuff. My paperbacks are looking a little rough.

Thanks! I got it for an amazing price based on them being hardback and in great condition. Can't wait to inspect them in person. Hopefully the pages aren't fucked on the inside.

EDIT: Just kiddin'. Reading the description again says theres no writing/damage on the inside and only a few have slight damage on the outside.

Nice score Andy. I've only read Fight Club and Choke. Snuff looks interesting, would you recommend that, or something else by Palahniuk?

I wouldn't recommend going with Snuff next (and honestly have trouble recommending it or anything written afterwards in general).  I'd say check out Rant (my favorite) or Survivor.  As a whole, I'd say his work from Fight Club to Rant are his strongest, seems like he started phoning it in afterward.  I did enjoy both of his non-fiction works as well, although the one about Portland might be hard to get into if you haven't spent a little time there.

Nice score Andy. I've only read Fight Club and Choke. Snuff looks interesting, would you recommend that, or something else by Palahniuk?

As Jonrawks said, no. It does indeed look interesting, but his other books are so much better. Anything before Snuff I would say is his best work. All of his newer stuff just doesn't connect with me as the other's do. I have a hard time getting into them and then sticking with it. His older books, I pick them up and I could read the entire book in one day just because I'm immersed in it.

My favorites are Diary and Lullaby. If you like short stories, Haunted is the way to go. I will warn you though! The short-story Guts that is in the novel has made people faint and/or puke when he's told it on his book tours. Just a heads up. Don't come back to me saying you puked on your mom's nice carpet cause some guy on the internet told you to read Guts.

I wouldn't recommend going with Snuff next (and honestly have trouble recommending it or anything written afterwards in general).  I'd say check out Rant (my favorite) or Survivor.  As a whole, I'd say his work from Fight Club to Rant are his strongest, seems like he started phoning it in afterward.  I did enjoy both of his non-fiction works as well, although the one about Portland might be hard to get into if you haven't spent a little time there.

As Jonrawks said, no. It does indeed look interesting, but his other books are so much better. Anything before Snuff I would say is his best work. All of his newer stuff just doesn't connect with me as the other's do. I have a hard time getting into them and then sticking with it. His older books, I pick them up and I could read the entire book in one day just because I'm immersed in it.

My favorites are Diary and Lullaby. If you like short stories, Haunted is the way to go. I will warn you though! The short-story Guts that is in the novel has made people faint and/or puke when he's told it on his book tours. Just a heads up. Don't come back to me saying you puked on your mom's nice carpet cause some guy on the internet told you to read Guts.

Thanks for the input guys. The plots of those four sound pretty solid, I might pick up Diary and Survivor next time (I have 10 other books to read...). I think Haunted is on my wishlist, that's pretty crazy about the fainting. I just read that apparently 67 people have fainted over it and it's only a 9 page story? That's insane.

Thanks for the input guys. The plots of those four sound pretty solid, I might pick up Diary and Survivor next time (I have 10 other books to read...). I think Haunted is on my wishlist, that's pretty crazy about the fainting. I just read that apparently 67 people have fainted over it and it's only a 9 page story? That's insane.

Guts is awesome. Made me feel weak the last time I read it. Maybe I'm getting old haha, I was also thinking more about the faintings than actually reading so maybe I just psyched myself out. Invisible Monsters is probably my favorite Palahniuk novel, but I'm starting to think I'm in the minority on that one.

I think Haunted is on my wishlist, that's pretty crazy about the fainting. I just read that apparently 67 people have fainted over it and it's only a 9 page story? That's insane.

When I saw him on his latest book tour, there was a signer there. Chuck opened the night by reading Guts to the crowd. The look on the signers face was priceless. The more it went on, you could just tell he was thinking "the fuck did I get myself into? This dude is a weird ass mother fucker. Fuck this night." All the authors apologized to the signer before beginning their stories. They felt so bad for him ahha.

I haven't read Haunted yet for this reason. I have so many friends that will not go near pools anymore because of this book, hahaha.

I don't think it's as bad as it's hyped up to be.  Perhaps a well done reading of it could cause someone to faint, but I don't think it has such a strong impact when reading it.  Also, according to the Wikipedia article, people are instructed to hold their breath while he does the reading.  It's more likely people pass out due to that than the actual content.

Anyway, Guts could be skipped and I don't think it would detract from Haunted too much.  If I recall correctly, there were quite a few better stories in the book.