Smashing Pumpkins

Easily the worst song on the album? That's a ridiculous statement. Have you ever listened to "We Only Come Out at Night"?

yeah. my (ex?) wife has 'the days are much too bright' tattooed on her arm.

possibly second worst song on the album, but still a better song than zero.

i'm fluent with practically all pumpkins material.

even all the early 80s stuff, and obscure b-sides.

i've had it bad for this band for almost 20 years.

I think he was referring to the pumpkins 80s stuff being the bands early years. not early 80s  :)

this.

they released 3 demo tapes before gish, all recorded in the 'late' 80s, but all 'early' material.

there is a multi-disc bootleg out there called 'mashed potatoes' that pretty much sums it up, and then some.

Second Amazon.ca copy still had tracking issues. Bit the bullet and ordered from Amazon.de. It's down to about $73 ppd.

People wondering why all the fuss? I'm sorry but a deluxe vinyl reissue touted as the "definitive version" has no business having any problems that affect a large number of people who purchase the pressing. At all. No matter how little of the music the problem affects, no matter if you think the song that it affects sucks, and no matter how little anyone paid for it. Period.

Second Amazon.ca copy still had tracking issues. Bit the bullet and ordered from Amazon.de. It's down to about $73 ppd.

People wondering why all the fuss? I'm sorry but a deluxe vinyl reissue touted as the "definitive version" has no business having any problems that affect a large number of people who purchase the pressing. At all. No matter how little of the music the problem affects, no matter if you think the song that it affects sucks, and no matter how little anyone paid for it. Period.

mine sounded much better after cleaning it with a VPI.

Pretty sure Einstein stated the definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."  Anybody else knocking down the door to do business with this guy?  

Exactly.

I received my second copy too. It's awful, distortion starts at the beginning of Zero. I realize now what most of you are dealing with. My original only mildly distorts near the middle and doesn't really get too bad until the very end of the song.

To anyone wondering about what turntables, cartridges, alignment, etc, I've used: Rega RP3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze (work demo), a Pioneer PL-530, Akai AP-206, Dual 1225 and Realistic LAB-250. All of those turntables with a variety of cartridges: Ortofon 2M Blue, Ortofon Super OM10, Shure M70EJ, Realistic (Shure) R47EDT and Shure M92E. All aligned with a mirrored protractor, VTA adjusted with various headshell and turntable mat combinations. I know none of that is high end but it isn't junk. If anything, the distortion is less noticeable with the cheap M92E but that's mainly because it has less detail than the rest.

Pretty sure Einstein stated the definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."  Anybody else knocking down the door to do business with this guy?  

I think we're all a little insane. It's 2013 and we're buying records.

Exactly.

I received my second copy too. It's awful, distortion starts at the beginning of Zero. I realize now what most of you are dealing with. My original only mildly distorts near the middle and doesn't really get too bad until the very end of the song.

To anyone wondering about what turntables, cartridges, alignment, etc, I've used: Rega RP3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze (work demo), a Pioneer PL-530, Akai AP-206, Dual 1225 and Realistic LAB-250. All of those turntables with a variety of cartridges: Ortofon 2M Blue, Ortofon Super OM10, Shure M70EJ, Realistic (Shure) R47EDT and Shure M92E. All aligned with a mirrored protractor, VTA adjusted with various headshell and turntable mat combinations. I know none of that is high end but it isn't junk. If anything, the distortion is less noticeable with the cheap M92E but that's mainly because it has less detail than the rest.

My copy (ordered from Amazon.ca) had no distortion issues. My equipment is not as good as yours.

Hey Einstein, I ordered from Amazon.ca a second time because more than two people here claimed their recent orders showed no signs of the problem I was having. Stands to reason that current stock might not exhibit the issue. I ordered a third copy from Amazon.de because I'll surely get the EU press which has wider deadwax and is free of tracking problems. It's not theoretical physics here, use your head.

Also, different turntables, different ears, different brains, different speakers, different amps, different stampers, different pressing runs. There's a whole fuckton of variables that could be the cause of my copy on my system sounding pretty good to my ears, versus another copy on another dude's system sounding like hot garbage. This is just an unfortunately release where it was pushed REALLY close to the border of being an all around shitty pressing.

really? i've seen them on every tour since they got back together in '07, and i thought they've been pretty solid. the setlist for this leg of the tour is awesome too, i'm bummed i can't see it.

It's more of the fact that the band has almost no chemistry, billy trying to play all of his new stuff, and the venue. They played Chastain, which is a great venue except for one thing. The crowd. Chastain lies right in the ritzy part of Atlanta. Many of the patrons were sitting down drinking a wine. Billy at one point talked for a good five minutes about if they should continue. It was just him talking. He never introduced the band and his band members would just say yeah after statements. It was not nearly as good as the show they played at the orange peel. I think at one point Billy played some sort of screaming metal song that lasted a minute of him just screaming.