Sheriff's deputies shot 48 animals (Ohio)

Sorry to get all Debbie Downer this morning but this really upset me. I live about an hour WEST of Zanesville, OH and frankly I question why a man was legally allowed to have such animals in his possesion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/20/national/main20123004.shtml

This guy really put the police in an awful position. If they hadn't put these animals down who knows where they would have gone and who they could have potentially harmed but that's merely a side effect of the root problem. Why did this guy have these animals in the first place? Let alone ONE of them!

Because Ohio's laws on the ownership of exotic animals is not stringent enough. Maybe this event will help change that.

This event better light a fire under our useless governor, John Kasich. The man is an abomination. He has some of the lowest approval ratings for an Ohio Governor ever.

Our laws are fucked with exotic animals. There used to be a farm close to my house in Copley, where the guy's son got mauled to death years ago by some big cat. After tons of abuse allegations and such, his animals were finally seized a few year ago. We really need to do away with their ownership.

Scott,

that monkey was found...in the belly of one of the dead Big Cats. Apparently it was eaten. I understand the cause for public concern. Once night hit this would have been a fiasco. I'm still unclear why tranqs were so ineffective in almost every instance. I'm trying not to judge the decisions made but I'm finding it hard to believe that there was no way to save more of these animals while protecting public safety.

I feel like more could have been done to try and save more of the animals but it just seems like these guys were just thinking on their toes and did what they had to do so they didn't lose any members of their team. It is unfathomable how this guy could have so many of these exotic animals on his personal property.

Like Hanna said at least the good that will come from this is making sure it never happens again.

I feel like more could have been done to try and save more of the animals but it just seems like these guys were just thinking on their toes and did what they had to do so they didn't lose any members of their team.

Not to mention the community.

I've got no issue with what the deputies did. From what I read, a few of the animals were shot close range with the deputies' pistols, so at that point I'm not sure what other options they really had other than letting themselves get eaten by a fucking tiger.

Officers were ordered to kill the animals instead of trying to bring them down with tranquilizers for fear that those hit with darts would escape in the darkness before they dropped and would later regain consciousness.

Makes sense to me. I've seen videos of animals being darted and then going absolutely ballistic.

Still pretty ridiculous that this guy's "animal farm" was legal.

Scott,

that monkey was found...in the belly of one of the dead Big Cats. Apparently it was eaten. I understand the cause for public concern. Once night hit this would have been a fiasco. I'm still unclear why tranqs were so ineffective in almost every instance. I'm trying not to judge the decisions made but I'm finding it hard to believe that there was no way to save more of these animals while protecting public safety.

This is probably why tranqs didn't work...

"Veterinarian Wolfe had tried to save a tiger in a heavy bramble by using a tranquilizer dart, but the animal charged her then tried to flee. It had to be shot and killed by sheriff's deputies."

So even if they did hit their target the tranq still takes time to work its way into the animal's system. And during that time you have a F-ing tiger coming after you. I can't even imagine what that would be like!

That would probably do it.

Those photos of all the animals laid out are upsetting. This is a result of poor regulation so hopefully this results in appropriate and dramatic legislation not just in Ohio but everywhere.

but whata bout the Tea Partiers that say we need de-regulation...

::) ::) ::) ::)

WTF though when I heard about this yesterday I misunderstood the setting, I can't believe this was a private animal retreat, or whatever you wanna call it...

If these setups are going to be allowed to continue, there needs to be a huge reform on how they are kept. I'm not going to just jump on the bandwagon and say no one should have exotic animals, because I have seen similar situations (like the Giraffe Farm here in FL, although they don't necessarily have very dangerous animals like tigers) that are great. For one, there should be a standard on the cages as far as size and how they are set up, to prevent accidental escapes. And a monitoring system on the doors to these cages for the local wildlife authorities so that they know every time the cage is open, so that these situations don't pop up again. This happened in Naples, FL a while back with monkeys. There is still a wild monkey population in South Florida. Also, the wildlife authorities need to be allowed to do well-being checkups, regardless of whether the property is public or private.

As big as a travesty as this is, I'm against taking away the rights of responsible people. Obviously this guy was a piece of shit.

Yeah, the cops did what they had to do. They don't exactly get man-eating animal containment training in Ohio. They probably didn't even have enough tranquilizers on hand.

Then again, I'm all for just letting the animals eat people. And filming it. For television.

i think it be more exciting to listen to it on the radio with no visuals..