Drive Soundtrack?

You left out the people who may just want the damn thing at all. "... The last place I'd think to put this would be on my turntable."? Really, I knew some of us are snobs, but Jesus Christ...

It's coming out in May.  And yes, the last place I would put this is on my turntable because I've already got a better sounding copy in hand.  It's not really being snobby either.  The quality difference is pretty big.  Here's why I'm into vinyl, because it sounds good and not because I ever had any interest in beanie baby collections.  A picture disc is going to sound worse than a CD, so why would I want pay $30 to put that through my speakers when I can get a CD for 1/2 that price?

That's not being snobby, that's realizing what does and doesn't sound best coming out of your speakers and using that format (whatever it is) to listen to music.  In my opinion a vinyl release is only as good as it sounds.  Sure it might be cool to look at but in that case just frame it for your wall because it's not gonna look cool collecting dust on your shelf, stuck in the middle of the rest of your vinyl collection.

The funny thing is, is that I've read that people were actually passing on buying the regular edition so that they could wait to pickup the RSD picture disc.  Whatever floats your boat I guess but if you're into vinyl because it provides better sound than most other music formats, all I can say is you should pass on this RSD release and wait for the regular edition to hit the shelves in May.

It's coming out in May.  And yes, the last place I would put this is on my turntable because I've already got a better sounding copy in hand.  It's not really being snobby either.  The quality difference is pretty big.  Here's why I'm into vinyl, because it sounds good and not because I ever had any interest in beanie baby collections.  A picture disc is going to sound worse than a CD, so why would I want pay $30 to put that through my speakers when I can get a CD for 1/2 that price?

That's not being snobby, that's realizing what does and doesn't sound best coming out of your speakers and using that format (whatever it is) to listen to music.  In my opinion a vinyl release is only as good as it sounds.  Sure it might be cool to look at but in that case just frame it for your wall because it's not gonna look cool collecting dust on your shelf, stuck in the middle of the rest of your vinyl collection.

The funny thing is, is that I've read that people were actually passing on buying the regular edition so that they could wait to pickup the RSD picture disc.  Whatever floats your boat I guess but if you're into vinyl because it provides better sound than most other music formats, all I can say is you should pass on this RSD release and wait for the regular edition to hit the shelves in May.

You can't sit there and tell me that picture discs haven't gotten loads better than they were. I have picture discs from the 80s and yeah, they sound like garbage, but hey, I got them with my brothers' stuff when he gave it to me. but if you place it side by side with a picture disc made in the last couple of years, it's miles apart. And a record's sound quality is all dependent on the mastering. If it's not properly mastered for the format, it's going to sound awful, so even your precious black records may not be all that hot depending on a number of variables. Just get off your high horse and stop policing what people buy because it doesn't fit into your narrow definition of what is a quality release and what isn't. If people want this, who cares? Why do you care? Why do I care that you care? Fuck I can't even answer that, but whatever.

You can't sit there and tell me that picture discs haven't gotten loads better than they were. I have picture discs from the 80s and yeah, they sound like garbage, but hey, I got them with my brothers' stuff when he gave it to me. but if you place it side by side with a picture disc made in the last couple of years, it's miles apart. And a record's sound quality is all dependent on the mastering. If it's not properly mastered for the format, it's going to sound awful, so even your precious black records may not be all that hot depending on a number of variables. Just get off your high horse and stop policing what people buy because it doesn't fit into your narrow definition of what is a quality release and what isn't. If people want this, who cares? Why do you care? Why do I care that you care? Fuck I can't even answer that, but whatever.

What I said was that if you're in it for the sound quality, go with the regular release.  How is this not common sense, regardless of the "positive strides picture discs have taken over the past few years"?  I just bought my first picture disc in years on RSD (Trey Anastasio 7") and it sounds like Dookie.  Only reason I bought it is because it's the only format it's on.  I'd take some mp3s over this picture disc any day of the week. If these mp3s were available, I wouldn't even have bought it.

Here's the difference with Drive, they already have put out the regular edition, it's readily available on mp3/cd/FLAC/etc.., the regular edition is cheaper and will be released again in May, and I'm willing to bet my life it sounds better than that plastic foiled picture disc.  So you can argue this picture disc all you want but I'll stand firm on my belief that anyone who buys this RSD pic disc, isn't buying it because sound quality is #1 on their checklist.

Call that me "being on a high-horse" or whatever but if I'm going to give someone a recommendation on which version to buy, of course I'm gonna recommend the regular edition.

So you can argue this picture disc all you want but I'll stand firm on my belief that anyone who buys this RSD pic disc, isn't buying it because sound quality is #1 on their checklist.

Call that me "being on a high-horse" or whatever but if I'm going to give someone a recommendation on which version to buy, of course I'm gonna recommend the regular edition.

That statement seems fair enough. You'd only be high-horsing if you paired the observation with scorn for people who buy LPs for reasons other than the one you mentioned. I've said it before, in this very thread I think, but sound quality is not my only criteria when evaluating a purchase.

Sometimes it isn't even part of the equation. 

That statement seems fair enough. You'd only be high-horsing if you paired the observation with scorn for people who buy LPs for reasons other than the one you mentioned. I've said it before, in this very thread I think, but sound quality is not my only criteria when evaluating a purchase.

Sometimes it isn't even part of the equation. 

Yeah, I've given other reasons as to why people would be purchasing this other than sound quality (of course there are many).  I think the discussion here is how good picture discs actually sound, when compared to a regular vinyl release.

Here are a bunch of reasons I could understand why someone would buy the RSD picture disc over the regular edition:

Flip it on eBay for a larger profit

Want to hang it on their wall due to an overall enjoyment of it's artistic value

Didn't get a copy of the online regular edition release and are too impatient to wait for the May release of the regular edition

Like things better, the more limited they are

Collect variants of a particular album

Use this collectable as trade bait for something

All of these reasons (while none of them, do I view as personally being most important to me) are understandable and justifiable.  Sound quality is not among any of those reasons though.

Yeah, I've given other reasons as to why people would be purchasing this other than sound quality (of course there are many).  I think the discussion here is how good picture discs actually sound, when compared to a regular vinyl release.

Here are a bunch of reasons I could understand why someone would buy the RSD picture disc over the regular edition:

Flip it on eBay for a larger profit

Want to hang it on their wall due to an overall enjoyment of it's artistic value

Didn't get a copy of the online regular edition release and are too impatient to wait for the May release of the regular edition

Like things better, the more limited they are

Collect variants of a particular album

Use this collectable as trade bait for something

All of these reasons (while none of them, do I view as personally being most important to me) are understandable and justifiable.  Sound quality is not among any of those reasons though.

Look at you being all reasonable on the internet. Well done. 

Bullmoose is taking preorders for the next wave of the "regular" Mondo edition which is a continuation of the ones that were already soldout online. The site says /1500 and 500 are randomly pink. I bought another lottery ticket to see if I can score a pink. Get in your order quick because I put mine in late for the RSD pic disc and looks like I might not get one. I probably just need to be happy with my black copy. It sounds great.

I got the black version today and will be comparing to the pic disc version I have at home - they wi be totally different I am sure

Not to do with Drive - but if anyone has bothered picking up the Iron Maiden pic disc reissues they will know just how terrible picture discs can sound.

where did you get that information about 1500 more being released?

I got the same email from BullMoose (they may not be able to fulfill the order).  This is the portion of the email regarding the upcoming pressing info:

"All will not be lost if we can't fill your order. Another limited edition version of Drive is right around the corner. 1500 copies will be pressed. 500 will be pink and the rest will be black. You won't know which one you have until you open it. It's the same price as the Drive you ordered and will ship on May 27.

If you will be happy with the other version, you can pre-order it here http://www.bullmoose.com/p/14790772 or let us know and we will switch your order for you."

I got the same email from BullMoose (they may not be able to fulfill the order).  This is the portion of the email regarding the upcoming pressing info:

"All will not be lost if we can't fill your order. Another limited edition version of Drive is right around the corner. 1500 copies will be pressed. 500 will be pink and the rest will be black. You won't know which one you have until you open it. It's the same price as the Drive you ordered and will ship on May 27.

If you will be happy with the other version, you can pre-order it here http://www.bullmoose.com/p/14790772 or let us know and we will switch your order for you."

Seems as if Mondo stuffed one out of every 3 copies with the pink vinyl.  Kind of makes sense considering the numbers of people on here pulling pink vinyl with their order.

Anybody nice enough to explain what's going on with this release to someone who doesn't want to read through 51 pages of random conversations?

Obviously the Mondo site is sold out.  But the release that's coming at the end of May is it the same pressing/same Tyler Stout artwork/same chance of a pink?  So online retailers such as Best Buy or Amazon are getting these?  Or are the already sold out and therefore like Bullmoose may not be able to fulfill the orders?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thoroughly confused...