Kids Music Recommendations

The thread now full of photos of our kids inspired me to reach out for recommendations for tolerable kids music. So much of it is awful so I'm always game to hear what others are digging. My boy is too young for a lot of my music (according to my wife) so help me out. (And post more pics)

Here's what I've been playing regularly for my 18 month old monster:

Terrible Two's (TGUK's band)

Lisa Loeb (I know but her kids album is alright for the genre)

Free To Be You and Me

Kimya Dawson "Alphabutt"

Post em up.

Mellie and I are fairly big into collecting children's records. Me being a comic nerd, I'll snatch up practically any storybook records involving DC comics properties but we both have a huge soft spot for Winnie The Pooh, so we'll buy any records we see involving him (whether Disney or the original A.A. Milne stuff). We have one storybook record of Boris Karloff reading the Three Little Pigs which is rad and Mellie has a thing for buying Strawberry Shortcake records any time she sees them. I was gonna suggest Alphabutt but you've already got that going! :)

My boy is 14 monts so he doesn't really get what music "is" quite yet. But my girl put on something with a beat a couple weeks ago and said "dance, dance." The kid went ape, wobbling his knees and smiling. Pretty funny stuff.

As far as what I put on, I've played everything from Miles Davis and John Coltrane to Zao, Thou, Converge and Sabbath in front of him. When he desires to hear music, we'll probably play stuff like Terrible Twos.

My son who is two, really likes the classic rock sound. Something with a good guitar crunch, but not too heavy. The Stones, KISS, Hold Steady, Alice Cooper, and oddly, he loves the sound of Henry Rollins voice. When he was in utero, we went and saw him do spoken word for three hours and ever since then he has dug listening to him.

I havent really tried any heavy stuff as I dont think he will really be digging it. We got that ramones cd and he likes it quite a bit, and I like hearing the different singers. At nighttime we have some disney sleepytime cd that we listen to and he goes to sleep to it.

i still need to get into the yo gabba gabba stuff. my daughter, who is also 2, mostly just listens to my stuff. she even pushes the play button when i tell her the record is ready to go. she spins around and that's her dancing. i think one album she hates though is brand new's "daisy". she used to scream like a banshee in the car whenever that was on. lol.

i went to a couple shows when i was pregnant (jimmy eat world clarity tour and jonah matranga's OLD catalog over a series of 3 nights). oh and i took her to see jimmy eat world when they played the US Open of surfing since it was during the day and right down the street from where i live.

i've just been lazy about getting her to listen to kids stuff. i will definitely pay attention to the recs in this thread though. great idea!

i still need to get into the yo gabba gabba stuff. my daughter, who is also 2, mostly just listens to my stuff. she even pushes the play button when i tell her the record is ready to go. she spins around and that's her dancing. i think one album she hates though is brand new's "daisy". she used to scream like a banshee in the car whenever that was on. lol.

i went to a couple shows when i was pregnant (jimmy eat world clarity tour and jonah matranga's OLD catalog over a series of 3 nights). oh and i took her to see jimmy eat world when they played the US Open of surfing since it was during the day and right down the street from where i live.

i've just been lazy about getting her to listen to kids stuff. i will definitely pay attention to the recs in this thread though. great idea!

the yo gabba gabba stuff is really cool. jimmy eat world even did a song for them that's pretty excellent. some of the songs are kind of hokey (taking back sunday -_-), but most are actually pretty excellent. they have 3 CDs worth of material, but don't think they ever pressed vinyl.

my girls are 17 months and usually listen to whatever we have on in the car or at home. we just make sure to skip over bad songs. my wife has dance parties with them and they listen to that top 40 dancy stuff on the radio. we used to listen to records when i got them in the mail but all the dancing would make the needle bounce so i stopped that.

thats pretty much it really. they were into yo gabba gabba early on but they seem to have grown out of it.

they don't watch to much tv but it's either sesame street and or baby signing time. in the car we play winnie the pooh. they love the tigger song.

Yo Gabba Gabba is like a kids show on acid. Everyone I have talked to hates that show, but the kids all stare at it mesmerized. After about 5 minutes I have to turn it off as my head is killing me. We stick to the Sesame Street and Thomas stuff.

yo gabba gabba wasn't so bad.

we usually watch a half hour of tv in the morning so i can clean up and do dishes and other shit. probably why i don't hate yo gabba gabba as much as i should. but they started getting over the yo gabba hype so i had to switch to sesame street. they can't get enough of elmo.

probably should be cleaning up instead of posting in this thread....hahaha.

kinda off point of the OP but ah well.