At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command Repress

I got my copy from amazon UK yesterday and my LP's are slightly bowl shaped and I did notice some crispy distortion on the vocals pretty much throughout the first two sides. I have yet to listen to C and D. I notice that the mastering on the instrumentation sounds less polished which is cool. Mine is the UK manufactured version through Transgressive though.

My copy from amazon UK isn't warped and there is only mild distortion in the vocals on 'One Armed Scissor.' I'll play my RSD copy and listen for the distortion.

Played 'One Armed Scissor' on my RSD copy. Distortion was there but not quite as apparent as it was on the new black press.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just got the black copy in the US (2xlp on twenty-first chapter). Pretty disappointed by the sound on this record, very distorted and thin and tin-ny. Sounds like it was pressed from compressed files or a CD or something.

Does anyone know if this was remastered or pressed from the actual masters? I feel like this record should sound sick on vinyl. Anyone know any more? I see a few comments that agree here.

I feel like the guitars are too compressed on the recording itself for it to ever sound that good. This album has some of the strangest production I have heard.

I'll have to go back and listen to the CD. Maybe it just translates bad. I havent listened to the cd/files in awhile either.

I feel like the guitars are too compressed on the recording itself for it to ever sound that good. This album has some of the strangest production I have heard.

I'll have to go back and listen to the CD. Maybe it just translates bad. I havent listened to the cd/files in awhile either.

Here's your answer:

In an interview with Alternative Press in September 2010 (in an article praising the album 10 years later) when asked "What's your least favorite thing about the album?"

Rodriguez replied: "In a heartbeat I could tell you, one of my only regrets out of everything I've ever done is the way that record was mixed. People think that was a raw and energetic record, but what they're hearing is nothing compared to what it truly was before it was glossed over and sent through the mixing mill that was Andy Wallace, who is a wonderful person and a very talented mixing engineer and has done great albums – I'm not trying to offend him....and I understand he had the pressure of the label and all the people who had dreams of it being this grandiose thing, and being played on the radio, which it was, (but) that record is ruined by the mix. I just find it the most passive, plastic....It's the one record I still to this day cannot listen to.