RSD Let-Downs?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was looking forward to the two Mastodon splits, but after hearing both covers online, i don't feel so bad about missing out on them. Plus, i doubt i would have listened to them more than two or three times.

so there was 2 mastodon splits? i didnt even realize that but i saw 0 copies anywhere.

im not disappointed by anything i did pick up but this was by far the most out of control. every store had probably 3x the amount of people as they had last year. thats cool that people are supporting record stores - and some of the big stores (ie. ameoba, etc.) are probably well equipped for this but all the stores around here small - ie. one register, limited space, etc. couple stores just put everything in one bin and let people have at it. good luck getting what you want when 50 people swarm one bin. so, in a way - it finally felt like RSD was outgrowing what a lot of stores (at least around here) are equipped to handle.

so there was 2 mastodon splits? i didnt even realize that but i saw 0 copies anywhere.

im not disappointed by anything i did pick up but this was by far the most out of control. every store had probably 3x the amount of people as they had last year. thats cool that people are supporting record stores - and some of the big stores (ie. ameoba, etc.) are probably well equipped for this but all the stores around here small - ie. one register, limited space, etc. couple stores just put everything in one bin and let people have at it. good luck getting what you want when 50 people swarm one bin. so, in a way - it finally felt like RSD was outgrowing what a lot of stores (at least around here) are equipped to handle.

pretty much exactly what happened at the store I went to. Luckily a buddy was ahead of me in line and grabbed one of the things I really wanted. I did feel like Brodie in Mallrats when he discovered Stan Lee was signing at his comic book store. I go to the same couple stores regularly, and was shouldered/pushed out of the way by this guy trying to get his hands on whatever he could while outside in line, I watched his wife bribe some people in line so she could get in faster. I thought that was pretty ridiculous... then she called him and he was telling her what to grab...

i was pretty embarrassed for him. a grown- ass man acting like a child.

all in all though I was stoked that stores seemed to have a few more copies of releases than years past.

bagged out on RSD this year - went on a hike instead. would have like to grab the Walk Among US 12", but i will live. Last year was crazy enough. spent a few hours in line in the rain. The first couple a people literally bought a copy of every record available. The store handed out lists and they pulled all the RSD records for people. Orderly yes, but it took over an hour to clear out the first 3 people.

by far the most out of control. every store had probably 3x the amount of people as they had last year. thats cool that people are supporting record stores - and some of the big stores (ie. ameoba, etc.) are probably well equipped for this but all the stores around here small - ie. one register, limited space, etc. couple stores just put everything in one bin and let people have at it. good luck getting what you want when 50 people swarm one bin. so, in a way - it finally felt like RSD was outgrowing what a lot of stores (at least around here) are equipped to handle.

My thoughts exactly.

I didn't even bother getting up early to hit my store by opening time. I showed at around 11am (they were open at 9) and it was a madhouse...barely any room to get by let alonw browse through the RSD bins. I left the store empty-handed after 15 minutes . Anything and everything I was looking for was long gone.

Thankfully a few VC'ers helped me out in getting some of the stuff I wanted...and a few popped up on online stores (Botch & Circle) so it all worked out for me. But I just couldn't deal with the pandemonium that was at my store.

yeah this year waterloo in austin was much crazier than last year. we got there an hour early than last time and were a few further back in line. by 10 the line was wrapped around the store/block.

within of one minute of being inside (we were around 10th in line) the whole place was swarmed and people squeezing through aisles. it was a crazy and waterloo is a big store. wish they would open earlier and stagger the crowd or something. let in the first 50, then the next, and so on so forth. waited a good hour in the checkout line.

R$D IS A LET DOWN BY ITSELF...

Seriously, fuck RSD and the hobbyists it caters to. I'm glad I was able to pick up a couple of overpriced items, but the whole day is about pure greed and materialism, and that sucks.

Seriously, fuck RSD and the hobbyists it caters to. I'm glad I was able to pick up a couple of overpriced items, but the whole day is about pure greed and materialism, and that sucks.

If it's on special color for record store day, yeah. It's stupid. Now making albums previously not available on LP... I'm all for that.

If it's on special color for record store day, yeah. It's stupid. Now making albums previously not available on LP... I'm all for that.

Yeah, but the problem is they will ask for an arm and a leg just because it is a R$D release whether it was pressed before or not. It's whatever, I am still glad the stores got the business, but I just hate the way the whole thing is handled.

by far the most out of control. every store had probably 3x the amount of people as they had last year. thats cool that people are supporting record stores - and some of the big stores (ie. ameoba, etc.) are probably well equipped for this but all the stores around here small - ie. one register, limited space, etc. couple stores just put everything in one bin and let people have at it. good luck getting what you want when 50 people swarm one bin. so, in a way - it finally felt like RSD was outgrowing what a lot of stores (at least around here) are equipped to handle.

My thoughts exactly.

I didn't even bother getting up early to hit my store by opening time. I showed at around 11am (they were open at 9) and it was a madhouse...barely any room to get by let alonw browse through the RSD bins. I left the store empty-handed after 15 minutes . Anything and everything I was looking for was long gone.

Thankfully a few VC'ers helped me out in getting some of the stuff I wanted...and a few popped up on online stores (Botch & Circle) so it all worked out for me. But I just couldn't deal with the pandemonium that was at my store.

Hearing stories like this make me happy Shake It in Cincinnati does it the way they do. Each year it's a single file line with everything lined up as you go in. Everyone goes through in order and picks what they want. No crowding or pushing, good conversations while waiting in line and if you bring a canned good and you get 10% off.

My friend and I were about 12th in line this year so we were able to get everything we wanted plus grab stuff for friends and help out some people behind us.

The only release I would say I was disappointed in would be the Neon Indian 10". And I was only disappointed in the price. The release itself looks and sounds great.