Sold a record on eBay, USPS bent it in half

one way to avoid this is pack your records like YOUR SHIPPING A RECORD! if you put a record between to flimsy ass pieces of cardboard and then stick in a mailer you deserve to be out some cash. would you mail a glass in a mailer with some bubble wrap? probably not. these things are fragile people, take some pride in what you do.

one way to avoid this is pack your records like YOUR SHIPPING A RECORD! if you put a record between to flimsy ass pieces of cardboard and then stick in a mailer you deserve to be out some cash. would you mail a glass in a mailer with some bubble wrap? probably not. these things are fragile people, take some pride in what you do.

I packed this up in a record mailer, with extra cardboard for stability. Even took the record out of the jacket to prevent seem splits, lots of packing tape, clearly marked fragile.

Record got fucked anyway. The personsaid the corner got bent over and around the record and the jacket is totally destroyed. I have no idea how USPS pulled that one off.

It doesn't matter how well you package a record. It can get damaged.

Making friends and just explaining little things to your postal guy can help but alot of times, if you care alot about your purchase then insure it. As a seller, just pack it the way you would want your records to be packed.

USPS did this to me once. Buyer asked I pack well, so I taped extra bubble wrap on all edges to ensure safe arrival.

Buyer sent me a picture of the package BENT IN HALF, totally taco'd. That can't happen by accident, some jerk had to do it. Buyer was really cool about it though, didn't want a refund or anything. I guess he knew I tried everything possible with the way I packed.

It doesn't matter how well you package a record. It can get damaged.

Making friends and just explaining little things to your postal guy can help but alot of times, if you care alot about your purchase then insure it. As a seller, just pack it the way you would want your records to be packed.

Ha. I wondered if you would see that. That's your package. And like I said earlier, the cardboard you used was thick. The asshole that put that in my PO Box jammed in there for sure.

• 2 months later...

Okay, i'm kinda in the same situation. I sent off a sealed record worth 50 bucks (colored variant), and the guy is claiming the sleeve corners are bent up and it's not in mint condition. He also says it's not my fault (said it multiple times in an ebay message) but is holding me responsible.

To fix the situation, he wants me to buy a brand new copy of the record (black vinyl) for him so he can have a mint sleeve and claims he will do everything he can to be compensated. What would you guys do in this situation? So far I've asked for pictures of the damaged corners.

Okay, i'm kinda in the same situation. I sent off a sealed record worth 50 bucks (colored variant), and the guy is claiming the sleeve corners are bent up and it's not in mint condition. He also says it's not my fault (said it multiple times in an ebay message) but is holding me responsible.

To fix the situation, he wants me to buy a brand new copy of the record (black vinyl) for him so he can have a mint sleeve and claims he will do everything he can to be compensated. What would you guys do in this situation? So far I've asked for pictures of the damaged corners.

What I always do is kindly tell him if he wants to send it back, offer a refund upon its return including shipping costs. Otherwise, he can just enjoy the record. Most of the time if they're scamming or they want the record enough they'll just stop after that, but sometimes people are genuinely upset about the condition so you kind of have to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I don't offer ANY compensation until he sends that record back, there's no logical reason to just give him more money or anything just because he says so.

He can open a case with eBay but ultimately if he wants a refund they'll force him to send it back in order to receive the refund. I only had to deal with that once and I was on the buying end, but it was fairly straightforward.

• 3 months later...

I'm a seller, but as a buyer and I say tough luck to the customer.

Almost every record I have has corner dings from USPS. They're just sloppy.

However, when a buyer requests packaging like a tank, I do this:

IMG_8860.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

Just moved into a new town house with a community mail box. I was really worried about getting my records but all 4 I've ordered since moving in have been delivered on my doorstep under the cover of my awning. On a rainy day she even put it in a trash bag and under the mat. She DEFINITELY gets a thank you present this Xmas.

I'm a seller, but as a buyer and I say tough luck to the customer.

Almost every record I have has corner dings from USPS. They're just sloppy.

However, when a buyer requests packaging like a tank, I do this:

IMG_8860.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

i had seen these pictures when you posted them a while ago and now i do this on every record i send, unless it already has edging like the SRC mailers do. takes like 3 minutes to do and buyers always appreciate it.

i've had this happen to me a few times recently. all the times, they were fairly rare records. in the case of the record i bought on ebay, the seller and i agreed to refund me half, and the only reason i took it was because he didn't pack it all that well. otherwise, id say that for the most part, it should be the buyer who takes the risk.

I recently sold a record to someone in NY and shipped it a day before the whole Sandy thing happened and he hasn't received it yet. I told him that it's more than likely delayed due to what's been happening over there and he cooled off. I'm just worried now that it's probably bent or damaged now. Yikes.

There's probably nothing I can do about this is there? I've been thinking about leaving a passive aggressive note in there about it, but I think that would just prompt him to be shittier with my mail.

I considered doing that once with my mailman but ended up leaving a nicer note, knowing that taking the "kind" approach to alerting him to the damage he was doing to my record by shoving the bubble mailer into my mailbox would probably yield better results in the future. Never had a problem since. They're human beings who don't think sometimes, like the rest of us. I'm sure they appreciate civility from their mail customers.

i've had this happen to me a few times recently. all the times, they were fairly rare records. in the case of the record i bought on ebay, the seller and i agreed to refund me half, and the only reason i took it was because he didn't pack it all that well. otherwise, id say that for the most part, it should be the buyer who takes the risk.

in the big scheme of things, i doubt the mailman cares about your records.