PO: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

Really the only knock I have on Gaslight (which is by far my favorite band). Every song is just an amalgamation of the words father, mother, blood, radio, regret, young, and a few others. Brian does come up with some really great, original lines too but I worry it is becoming formulaic. Still, really, really, really good album.

Yeah, he loves his themes. Driving, ghost, queen are three more that come to mind, especially after hearing this record. I'd say "love" is too but that's just every song ever written.

Really the only knock I have on Gaslight (which is by far my favorite band). Every song is just an amalgamation of the words father, mother, blood, radio, regret, young, and a few others. Brian does come up with some really great, original lines too but I worry it is becoming formulaic. Still, really, really, really good album.

I think the song American Slang is a perfect example of this:

Skin, Bandage, Ribbon, Drive, Tattoo, Father, Dream, Heart, Mother

Anyone see The Horrible Crowes Live from the Troubadour hour-long special that is being shown on Palladia lately?

Its pretty awesome.

Caught it yesterday while I was packing up orders, great show. I wish it was the one I was at though, or that they showed the Katy Perry cover...

Caught it yesterday while I was packing up orders, great show. I wish it was the one I was at though, or that they showed the Katy Perry cover...

Yea I was at the Troubadour show, it was amazing. I was kinda shocked when flipping channels to see "The Horrible Crowes Live from the Troubadour" on my guide thing. I recorded it and went back and watched about half of it so far. Its really good.

eh, most band's pigeonhole themselves with their lyrics at some point or another. i can easily look past it with TGA because A. i dont mind these themes, B. it at least feels authentic and C. the band just writes really great songs. its actually easier for me to pick the song i like the least from this album (desire) than it is to figure out which songs i like the most which usually means its a pretty great record in my book.

It's not a huge knock against the band for me, because what I like about them (at least on the last two albums... like I said, I can't get into '59 sound or other earlier stuff) is their overall sound. Brian doesn't write bad lyrics at all. Taken individually, he's got a lot of great lines. When you look at a lot of it, though, it is way more repetitive than other bands I follow.

I love when bands allude to previous work sometimes... Keith from ETID does it constantly; just about every album since Gutter Phenomenon has a reference to older material on it, but it's done in a clearly allusive way. I don't think TGA is doing it like that, I think he just got stuck on a few hooks.

I'll put in my two cents:

I just picked this up from my local shop. Read every single lyric for every song and while there are some songs that I found myself becoming numb to ( Too Much Blood) the rest is very good. But, I will say that listening to Handwritten is like looking into someone's diary and it feels obtrusive at times. Most of the songs are about love in one form or another, and after a while the theme becomes very central and narrow while the music itself is expansive and dynamic which helps get past the one- dimensional aspect of the lyrics. One thing that I always appreciated was Brian's use of imagery and there wasn't too much that struck me in that way aside from one great line about the way 'her dress moved'. This is probably the first TGA album where the music outshines the lyrics. You can tell how much time was put into inserting breakdowns at pivotal moments, and pauses for effect. It's masterful in that way.

I'm only this critical with music that I love. That being said, I really like it and will have to let it sink in some more.

I guess I'll throw the hold steady in the mix for recycling lyrics. Although part of what I like is being like oh he is referencing that song I get it. hard drugs are for the bartenders, but I'm pretty sure I've said that before.

Craig absolutely means to do it and it's part of his writing style because he's basically telling an album (even career) spanning story with his lyrics. It's much more excusable in that context - actually, it's pretty damn impressive. It's a way of pulling you in on the first listens of a new album too - kind of like a film sequel calls back to the previous films.

That said, I like Brian's writing as well but it does get repetitive sometimes. I'm in the camp that thinks that 59 Sound is absolutely perfect, and I actually didn't start to catch on to the repetition until American Slang, so maybe that is why I enjoyed the previous albums more.

Craig absolutely means to do it and it's part of his writing style because he's basically telling an album (even career) spanning story with his lyrics. It's much more excusable in that context - actually, it's pretty damn impressive. It's a way of pulling you in on the first listens of a new album too - kind of like a film sequel calls back to the previous films.

That said, I like Brian's writing as well but it does get repetitive sometimes. I'm in the camp that thinks that 59 Sound is absolutely perfect, and I actually didn't start to catch on to the repetition until American Slang, so maybe that is why I enjoyed the previous albums more.

Oh yeah it is absolutley intentional with craig and it is crazy how he has been telling the story of his band in real time. It kind of seems like there is the stuff where he is telling things first person and then times when he is the omniscient narrator talking about his character (Holly, Charlamaign, Giddeon) and ocassionally those two cross paths. (not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, it has been a while since high school english)

From gaslightanthem.org, which stays updated on vinyl pressing information pretty well, it looks like 500 on black for Euro (and the 7" with the songs from the deluxe edition CD is also pressed at 500). Blue will be in stock FOREVER...pressing of 10,000 means it'll be readily available for a long time.

Pretty sure this is wrong. From what has been posted previously, the Euro press and the Greenhell/Flight13 press with the bonus 7" are separate presses. Euro copies from (for example) Banquet won't include the 7". Additionally, the edition with the bonus 7" is /750, no longer /500 as it initially was.

Unless there were more developments I've missed.

Yeah, I love this band to death but I'd have to agree. It's one of the reasons why I like Sink or Swim and The 59 Sound a bit more than American Slang. It's like, I remember hearing Great Expectations and really liking the lines "And they burnt up the diner where I always used to find her...her hair was raven and her heart was like a tomb" and thinking that was cool, but then hearing "like a tomb" on two more songs. Ehhh. For some reason, like I said, I don't mind it on SOS or T59S, but the song writing is a bit weaker on AS so it sounds kinda cheap.