PO: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

Saw these guys on the Lollapalooza webstream over the weekend. Just awful kid pop punk. It's a shame they were allowed to play at Riot Fest.

This is the band you're upset about playing Riot Fest? Not A Day To Remember or Chiodos or Neon Trees or Built To Spill or AWOLNATION or any of the DOZENS of bands they've booked that, best-case scenario, have extremely tenuous ties to punk rock?

You must have a seriously easy life if something like this gets you worked up.

This is the band you're upset about playing Riot Fest? Not A Day To Remember or Chiodos or Neon Trees or Built To Spill or AWOLNATION or any of the DOZENS of bands they've booked that, best-case scenario, have extremely tenuous ties to punk rock?

You must have a seriously easy life if something like this gets you worked up.

Built to Spill in the same sentence as those other bands is very sad.

Sorry, but this record is so far my "Disappointment of the Year". It's a struggle to listen to front to back, especially going through tracks 3-6... and PLEASE Gaslight STOP using the same chord progressions in almost every goddamn songs (Am - F - C - G) (C - G - Am - F). I strongly doubt that I will be listening to this record when Summer's over, which is a first for this band since I still pop up all of their previous records now and then...

Sorry, but this record is so far my "Disappointment of the Year". It's a struggle to listen to front to back, especially going through tracks 3-6... and PLEASE Gaslight STOP using the same chord progressions in almost every goddamn songs (Am - F - C - G) (C - G - Am - F). I strongly doubt that I will be listening to this record when Summer's over, which is a first for this band since I still pop up all of their previous records now and then...

Honesty, if the chord progressions (which vary in time signature) ruin this record for you and it doesn't matter that his voice has improved a ton over time then your opinion isn't worth much anyway.

People listen to GLA for the music behind his voice? Some bands are music bands, some are lyric bands, GLA seems to be a vocal band.

My point exactly. His lyrics/vocals are what draws people in.

The music isn't bad, but if by the fourth record you want more chords out of them, you're missing something. I studied jazz guitar, so I can sit there and write stuff that switches keys and uses all sorts of chord extensions, but does that mean it'll touch people the way Gaslight songs do?

BillyA, the chord progression is one of the factors for me, but I agree that his voice is a lot better on this. The words are sang better, and it sounds tighter in general, Their lyrics have always been the main point, but I always listen to the music/melodies first before checking out the words, which worked for me on all of their previous records, they would connect just fine. This record is just not connecting at all

Maybe I'm just seeing this record the wrong way... It's only been a few weeks, and took me like 2-3 months to get into the latest Lucero, which is now one of my top records this year, so...

My point exactly. His lyrics/vocals are what draws people in.

The music isn't bad, but if by the fourth record you want more chords out of them, you're missing something. I studied jazz guitar, so I can sit there and write stuff that switches keys and uses all sorts of chord extensions, but does that mean it'll touch people the way Gaslight songs do?

Good point. The way I look at it, without Alex doing his solo thing, the lyrics would not be enough to make them a great band. The same chords anchor the songs because those are the chord progressions that sound great to most people. Alex brings the flavor.

The repetition in the lyrics bothers me 10 times more than the repetition of chords.