Recently Viewing

which ones were the winners? could use some suggestions. everything in my queue is stale.

Watched:

Still Alice - Julianne Moore is a professor who gets Alzheimers. Predictable, but still a good watch. Abrupt ending.   

The Imitation Game - About Alan Turing cracking the Enigma machine. Horrible CGI, but a really good movie. Keira is a babe.

Obvious Child - Female comedian gets knocked up. Short, but pretty funny. Dry wit. Adult humor.

To be watched:

Leviathan

The Skeleton Twins

Boys Meet Girl

The Internet Owns Boy

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

We Are The Best

Yeah, to say Mad Max was awful implies it was poorly made. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but technically it's basically flawless.

Most of those stunts and effects were practical. In the day and age of shitty plastic CGI people making up the majority of screen time in action/sci-fi movies that alone deserves a shitload of praise.

Most of those stunts and effects were practical. In the day and age of shitty plastic CGI people making up the majority of screen time in action/sci-fi movies that alone deserves a shitload of praise.

Exactly. They released some of the B-Roll that shows a lot of the stunts being filmed, and they look just as awesome before post-production.

I went and saw Mad Max last night. That shit was so intense! I really enjoyed it. Very entertaining and in your face.  I'm sure I was making disturbing faces throughout the entire film. There was never a dull moment. I do wish it was a little longer, but I thought everything was really well done. 

Let me begin with two things. I never saw the original Mad Max movies, and from the first time I saw the trailer for this one, I knew I probably wasn't going to like it. When I did finally see the trailer about a month ago, I thought to myself "This seriously can't be the movie everyone is excited about." Because of the high praise, I planned on watching the originals. I started the first one and got about 30 minutes into it and turned it off. It didn't have my undivided attention, but I just didn't care about anything that was going on with it.

I waited a couple weeks after it was released to see if the glowing reviews died down at all. They didn't, so I decided to see it. I was surprised to enter a packed theater, at 8:45 on a Tuesday night. And so it began...

I'll give it all the credit due for the look of the movie and the way it was filmed. Visually, there are many things to be impressed with, but at the same time, minutes into the movie I noticed the altered frame rate. The first couple times I was hoping it was a glitch, and then it turned out to be a deliberate effect. To me, it was more distracting than beneficial. I understand the use of it, to convey the fast pace and frenetic energy, but did this effect need to be used to convey that, with everything else happening on screen? It was more like a skipping cd, you know where things are going, and you can follow it, but every time it happens, you cringe a little. The second thing that really got under my skin was the obligatory shots specifically for 3D. (I saw the film in 2D). For as visually stunning as the movie is, the steering wheel flying at the screen, the chains on Immortan Joe's tower, where the people are turning the turbine. From what I've heard, the studio forced 3D late in the game, but bad is bad, and it took away from it.

There were moments where the people jumping around on the vehicles reminded me of Cirque du Soleil performers, in the best way possible, but with any act, if it's stretched out too long it starts to wear thin. The guitar guy, that was neat for a moment, but similar to my attempted viewing of the first movie, I just didn't care about any of it.

The lack of any meaningful dialogue or plot development just added to my general disdain for the movie. The characters are intelligent enough to create and maintain these amazing machines, they value their resources and understand the value of the other tribes, the formed a rebellion, but there is hardly any dialogue. Maybe this makes the conversations stand out even more. Maybe it's just me, but when they started talking about "The green place" I thought it was a joke, and then that was the actual name of the place. It just seemed very lazy.

I went into the movie expecting to not like it, and I didn't. Usually, I'll give a movie another shot, but I know this one isn't my thing. At least I didn't walk out halfway through like the couple next to me.

The lack of dialogue and backstory is one of the best things about the movie. Everything you need to know is on screen. I like when movies trust the audience to figure things out on their own. Even if all you need to figure out is "Civilization collapsed and now shits all fucked"

It's also nice that all the Mad Max films work as stand alone films.

I didn't notice anything odd about the frame rate.

http://themetaplex.com/reviews/2015/mad-max-fury-road-movie-review#.VWfc9EbOGVo=

"Miller went through Fury Road shot by shot to adjust the speed—50% of the movie is less than the conventional 24 frames per second—it’s jittery, it’s unreal, and honestly, it’s exhilarating."

"The second radical choice is the cut-cut-cut editing with shots that rarely last longer than 2 seconds."

The article has high praise for the movie. I just found it to be more of a strobe effect.

Going out of town soon and haven't seen many movies. What are some I absolutely have to see that I can take with me on my tablet? Really like Tarantino and that movie Horrible Bosses. Recommend me some stuff please :P

Have you seen True Romance? It's the flick he sold to fund Reservior Dogs.

Tarantino and Horrible Bosses? That tells me that you like swear words, but not much else. I guess I could recommend Clerks?

I guess I was saying I like stuff that's kind of dark, and stuff that's kind of funny in the same style as Horrible Bosses. My music collection is what tells you I like swear words. And graphic depictions of violence. I don't have a problem... Cannibal Corpse is cool.