Recently Viewing

I got to see Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter tonight. It was a little slow, but excellent. The blurb from IMDB "A jaded Japanese woman discovers a hidden copy of Fargo (1996) on VHS, believing it to be a treasure map indicating the location of a large case of money." It's worth checking out if it's playing near you.

I got to see Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter tonight. It was a little slow, but excellent. The blurb from IMDB "A jaded Japanese woman discovers a hidden copy of Fargo (1996) on VHS, believing it to be a treasure map indicating the location of a large case of money." It's worth checking out if it's playing near you.

I've been wanting to see this for so long.  Hopefully I get a chance soon.

Dying to see that!

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Inherent Vice the other day.  I really liked it and I fully believe that Paul Thomas Anderson couldn't make a bad movie even if he tried.  This was definitely his most hard-to-follow movie to date though.  It's so hard to explain.  Like... I knew what was going on and I never got super confused about what was going on, but yet it was hard for me to keep up and really focus on what was going on.

Also watched The Den and Young Ones.  The Den was awesome.  I haven't seen Unfriended yet but from what I've read, it's like Unfriended except it was done much better (The Den came out before Unfriended too by the way).  Young Ones was pretty great too.  Michael Shannon is one of my all-time favorite actors so I'll watch anything that he's in.  Definitely recommended if you're in the mood for a sci-fi/western/post-apocalyptic movie.

The lady is catching me up on flicks I may have missed throughout the last decade.  They consist mostly of emotional flicks that I definitely should have caught, though I have enjoyed them thus far.  The two stand out flicks include

- The Guardian- I regret making fun of Ashton Kutcher, as he gives a phenomenal performance in this 

- Remember the Titans- Everything Denzel does is gold.  I'm not ashamed to say there were many points in which I had to find a "cool" way to wipe the "sleep" from my "dry contact," which is why I "looked" like I was crying...though I totally wasn't 

- Remember the Titans- Everything Denzel does is gold.  I'm not ashamed to say there were many points in which I had to find a "cool" way to wipe the "sleep" from my "dry contact," which is why I "looked" like I was crying...though I totally wasn't 

My wife and I quote this movie daily..."I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts...then you will run a mile..." Its up there with The Sandlot as iconic movies from my childhood...

Alright, so TCM is having an Orson Welles-a-thon (four movies every Friday I think...) and we watched Touch of Evil last night. The first 20 minutes or so were difficult to follow, but I read that Welles did that intentionally, but it was shot brilliantly, the story was really really cool after it stopped being confusing, great ending and Charlton Heston as a Mexican...yeah...dude was an incredible actor and director. 

Also watched Fed Up on instant last night, fantastic documentary about how we are being poisoned by food companies through smart marketing techniques...It was a lot of stuff I already knew a little bit about but the statistics were insane and they brought a lot of attention to the labels and what "low fat" and all that shit really means...which is nothing...bottom line of the movie though...Dont eat processed foods...

Finished the documentary Hitlers Children as well...if you get time and are interested in WW2 history give it a watch...its pretty intense to say the least but its fascinating watching these people deal with the baggage that their families have placed on them

I'll report back as I watch the Orson Welles flicks...so far so good...

where are people viewing this? just really cool movie theaters or something?

also, watched big bad wolves after seeing all the hype on the OST. thought it was good. the cake cover makes sense now.

i am in the process of thinning out my movie collection.  watching some stuff i havent seen in forever and probably wont watch again and going to get rid of them.  currently in the middle of shock treatment, the less popular follow up for the people who did rocky horror.  its still entertaining but if i wanna watch a rocky horror type movie ill just watch the original or little shop of horrors. 

also watched fast and furious 7 last night because i needed something mindless.  ii cant tell if they are doing the terrible acting on purpose or not. all of the stunts were ridiculous. the ending was ridiculously stupid. 

last weekend watched Exodus: Gods Among Kings.  was a bit long, doesnt follow the original story really and the action looks cool.  another good mindless action type of movie. 

Went to see Pitch Perfect 2 last night. So ridiculous. The opening scene made me laugh the hardest. Really need to see Mad Max. Heard nothing but great things about it. 

Shows I've been watching besides GOT right now: Salem - It's like a fucked up, sexual & more grown up BBC Merlin and I love it (guilty pleasure maybe). Also, glad Penny Dreadful is back on. The cinematography is just outstanding. Sometimes it gets a little cheesy/weird, but the acting is good. If you are into horror stuff, both of those shows are worth watching. 

Montage of Heck - Brilliant

Citizen Four - a bit dull but a very important film that gives a very unique first hand in the moment accounting of what life is like for a whistleblower. See it.

Going Clear - it is typical Gibney. Long, dull at times, but in the end you say that was really interesting. I found it a bit indulgent but seeing Miscavage whomped like that was very enjoyable. 

Poltergeist remake was abysmal. I gave it a shot because I like Sam Rockwell and it was only $5 at the theater down the street, and I think I paid $5 too much. I'm not a huge fan of the original, but it definitely established a lot of tropes that have been used in horror/ghost movies ever since. The remake does absolutely nothing new and feels like a copy of a copy of a copy. Just a total dud.

My wife and I quote this movie daily..."I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts...then you will run a mile..." Its up there with The Sandlot as iconic movies from my childhood...

Alright, so TCM is having an Orson Welles-a-thon (four movies every Friday I think...) and we watched Touch of Evil last night. The first 20 minutes or so were difficult to follow, but I read that Welles did that intentionally, but it was shot brilliantly, the story was really really cool after it stopped being confusing, great ending and Charlton Heston as a Mexican...yeah...dude was an incredible actor and director. 

Also watched Fed Up on instant last night, fantastic documentary about how we are being poisoned by food companies through smart marketing techniques...It was a lot of stuff I already knew a little bit about but the statistics were insane and they brought a lot of attention to the labels and what "low fat" and all that shit really means...which is nothing...bottom line of the movie though...Dont eat processed foods...

Finished the documentary Hitlers Children as well...if you get time and are interested in WW2 history give it a watch...its pretty intense to say the least but its fascinating watching these people deal with the baggage that their families have placed on them

I'll report back as I watch the Orson Welles flicks...so far so good...

Orson Welles-a-thon update...

Watched two of the three Shakespeare adaptations Welles did tonight "Macbeth" and "Othello"...both were fantastic. As a book/film nerd I was completely enthralled with both from start to finish. The cinematography was beautiful and had a style that just took the story to the next level. If you are a fan of Shakespeare then I highly suggest checking them out. They cut a bit out in order to make a normal length film, but Orson's direction and style are genius.  

The Lady From Shang-Hi was also great, the story was a bit contrived but the acting was excellent and holy shit that ending. Check it out if you are a classic film fan because it is so iconic...On the other hand his movie Journey Into Fear was just terribly boring. Probably because someone else directed and he had Joseph Cotton write the script (adapted from a novel) which he had never done before. The only one so far I have not been able to get through. 

Up next is "Mr. Arkadin", "The Stranger" and "The Trial"...all of which sound great...