Recently Viewing

The Book of Life - didn't care for the trailers but it turned out to be an entertaining watch. Glad I caught it on dvd. Surprisingly my four year old enjoyed it too.

Night crawler - I knew nothing going it. Gyllenhall has really become an excellent character actor. Who do you recommend this movie to? I guess people that dig psychological thrillers? It became a tad predictable but all in all was well worth my time. Pretty creepy all around.

Since I've moved to a new city, I've been couch bound, trying to find work; therefore, lots of movies.

- Housebound- Great Australian horror, like People Under the Stairs meets Evil Dead

- The Drop- This may be one of my favorite movies I'll see this year.  Tom Hardy is such an incredible actor and meshes amazingly with James Gandolfini 

- Chef- Jon Favreau can't do any wrong in my book, and Chef continues that.  Great cast, great story, lots of laughs and a little bit of tearing up

- Your Sister's Sister- another Duplass indie flick.  Great performances from the entire cast, but like most of these indies, the film really doesn't leave that great of an impression.

- Happy Christmas- Joe Swanberg (Drinking Buddies, V/H/S, Silver Bullets) lost the momentum he had with Drinking Buddies.  Great actors like Anna Kendrick and Melanie Lynskey give flat performances.  Also another movie that I'll forget in a week or so.  

- Black Mirror- watched both seasons and the White Christmas special.  The bulk of these were incredible, though there were a couple weak ones mixed in.  Lots of great social commentary over an eerie soundtrack.

Been home sick from work the past day and a half so its been laying on the couch and watching movies.

Nightcrawler: Gyllenhaal is quite creepy in this and does a great job.  Started to drag a bit for me towards the last 3rd of the movie but dug the ending.

American Sniper: Best movie i have ever seen, no.  Cooper putting on a hell of a performance, absolutely.  Don't see anyone else taking it at the oscars this year.  

John Wick:  Bloodbath of a movie that was fun to watch.  Mindless action/ revenge movie.  

Black Mirror:  Only watched season one but really enjoyed it.  the 3rd episode is a really interesting concept of how the future could be and would not like it...

Batman Gotham Knight:  I have owned this for years and never watched it.  A collection of animated batman stories.  Thought they were overall meh.

Chef:  Good story, good acting, funny and heartfelt.  An enjoyable movie all around by favreau.

Going into “Jupiter Ascending” I knew 4 things about it.

1. Mila Kunis is in it.
  2. The Wachowski siblings made it
  3. It was delayed from a Summer 2014 release to February 2015.
  4. The Batman v. Superman trailer would not be playing before it.

That’s all.

What I just watched sure was something…

Take Star Wars Episodes 1-3 and subtract the lightsabers and Jedi powers. Replace the ships with the ships from Darius Twin, the SNES game, and add some Pacific Rim Jaegers. The Emperor, he’s played by Eddie Redmayne, showing hints of his performance as Stephen Hawking. Now, add some aliens who look like they came out of any video game with aliens, and some giant lizards that are a cross between Godzilla and a Goomba from Super Mario Bros. the movie. Mila Kunis has many Queen Amidala and Princess Leia moments and Channing Tatum uses FLYING SPACE ROLLERSKATES as his primary way of getting around. Oh, and Justin Long reprises his role as Tusk for a few scenes, as a crew member of one of the ships. But hey, there wasn’t any Jar Jar Binks.

The story doesn’t even matter. It was one of the most entertaining, expensive train wrecks I’ve ever seen.

Finally saw Rudderless.

What should have been really sad and heartbreaking ended up being glossed over and breezed through.

The music was great and I'd absolutely pick up the soundtrack, but the movie needed better direction and editing to bring it together and give it the emotion that was easily there, but never really gotten into.

There was a pretty great WTF/twist moment that I didn't see coming, but then they skimmed through it once again and didn't let the characters really react to anything.

Went and saw Kingsman: The Secret Service this weekend; mostly because there was nothing else I wanted to see in theaters, and it seemed like it would be entertaining. Entertaining it was, but I wasn't really that impressed by it. Story line was predictable and it reminded me of a mash up of 007 and a more serious, less sexual Austin Powers. It had over the top action and it's a little silly, but meant to be that way. Overall, it was ok. Note: I am not a big fan of action movies anyway so some of you guys might enjoy this a lot more than I did. 

Also, finally got around to watching Nightcrawler. Gyllenhaal was fantastic, and by far the best part of the film was watching what he was going to do next. The movie wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was very interesting and I enjoyed it. 

I've been catching up on the Oscar nominees. Saw "Two Days, One Night", "Still Alice", "Mr. Turner", "Timbuktu" and "Ida" over the past couple weeks. Still Alice was really good, the others were ok. I didn't love any of them. On the flip side, tonight I went to the Cinemark screening of the live action and animated shorts and every single one was excellent. I really think everyone in this community will love "A Single Life".

After the 10 nominated shorts they played another 5 "Highly Commended" animated shorts and again, they were great. "Bus Story" had me in tears I was laughing so much. If the shorts program is playing near you, go check it out, and don't be put off by the 3.5 hour run time. It moves really quickly and a really good variety of emotions in each.

I've now seen 44 of the 59 nominees. I might get to one more that's playing locally before Sunday night.

the DC is brutal. That abortion scene is probably the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in a film lol

Something similar happened in American Horror Story (though probably not as gory) and that bloody ejaculation scene in Antichrist was already pretty fucked up, so I think I'm sorta prepared lol.

Glad to see another fan! One of my favorite movies in recent memory. Still need to see/buy the directors cut.

Same. I mean, I saw the rest of the Depression trilogy and while I thought they were pretty good, I wouldn't include them in my favorite movie list (at least not after the first viewing - and I don't want to see either of them anytime soon). However, Nymphomaniac instantly won me over. I heard that people found the long conversations boring but my eyes were glued to the screen.

That swerve at the end was sad but also hilarious. Just when she thought there was one kind person in the world who was understanding and compassionate, he wants to rape her. Jesus lmao.

But, it showed Joe's growth as a person, so it wasn't an entirely hopeless way to end the film.