I just posted a huge thing about my last weekend at Broken World Fest on Facebook. I will provide it in a spoiler here in case anyone cares.

Let me preface this by saying I will more than likely forget to tag some people involved. No hard feelings, I just had such a crazy time that my memory is still processing a lot of what happened.

So Broken World Fest was last weekend. I had been working a lot of hours the week leading up to it and I was mentally fried beforehand. I started my adventure by waking up at about 10 AM? Having rush packed the day before or so and knowing I would forget some vital items needed. I was tossing and turning most of the night before because I was experiencing what it felt like to be a child the night before Christmas eve, except only this time it was the ability to scream along to songs with friends I had only previously listened to in my bedroom alone and hang out with various people I had come to call friends over the internet. It still is very cool to be able to have a memory of meeting someone I met online in person. Anywhoodles, I awoke in the morning very pumped up with high energy only to be stuffer into a 5 seat car with 6 of my very best friends. The stories swapped, the songs we sang in that car, it was a celebration of it's own and I treasure it deeply. We made so many stops on the way that we ran a little late to the fest but it was okay, we had made it. I walked into the venue to be given wristbands and entry and found only friends waiting for me inside. Nothing was wrong or out of place, I felt zero anxiety about being surrounded by strangers while a super long way from home. I have travelled that far before but this time, I was felt nothing but good feelings. Most of my time was spent outside of the venue smoking and talking to various people I had just met or have been waiting to meet in person for a long time.

I wouldn't want to call out people by name but there is one person above all who does deserve that. Derrick. Fucking Derrick made all of this possible, they set this wonderful event up and were nothing but EXTREMELY nice and very playful with me and any others I seen approach them. There was a heartfelt speech they gave the first night during a set they were playing and I felt it to my very core, I was validated in my experiences with diy and chasing my dreams. It felt like home to hear some of their stories because if they can achieve this major of an event after starting in a bedroom years before, why can't I? I will now start taking steps to work towards my dreams and I could not be more excited. This weekend not only provided me with many memories, it also stirred a lot of things inside of me that I knew were there but I want to take forward movement with them. I will be making music. I will try to book shows for my friends. I will do this for real.

On a lighter note, I was in such a blur during the fest. I opened warm beers using a fence and dumpster. I was given numerous Yuenglings (sp?) and the warm graciousness of people over the internet. I got to stay in a beautiful home of a very kind friend with lots of other friends too. I will not forget those two nights we spent on that living room floor just being caught up in the moment and conversing.

Day two of the fest brought me meeting up with long time musician friends and being able to meet people I have idolized for a long stretch of time. The passion I felt radiating off of one of them was insane, I had never met someone so dedicated to their craft you could feel it from just their presence but it is possible now. I understand when people tell me there is nothing else out there for them other than music because I have met a person who is solely made for the musical lifestyle, someone who is not only genuinely dedicated to their music but someone who is beyond kind hearted. I spent only a total of maybe an hour around them but I will never forget those moments. I will be trying to meet up with them whenever it is possible. This person is Anthony Sanders.

The lengthy bit about Snowing is happening now. I first found their EP called Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit when I was around 17, I was very meh on it for years. Given also that I hated their LP with such a passion that I traded my copy off to a friend. I had known their massive influence and never really understood it until one night it all fell into place. Every single word resonated with my very foundation of being. It felt like these words were torn from my mind and finally felt someone else could relate to me. John sang with such intensity that as a 19 year old, I had never felt at that time. That second day, I had the incredible chance to speak to John for a breif moment and it was such a huge step for me as a music fan. I barely ever get nervous about meeting an artist but approaching John was difficult, but I did it. I told him how much those songs meant to me and he seemed appreciative. I kindly asked for him to sign a record and instead of just a signature, he drew a small knife on it as well. I am elated to have this memento of a perfect weekend.

I would in fact cut my arms off. Right fucking off.

I made it through work today, but still feel crappy. Hopefully it clears up this weekend, or else it's back to the doctor Monday for me. My side still kinda aches on and off, so hopefully it's not my gall bladder acting up.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic