checkpoints are designed to nab as many people as possible for just about anything...loosely termed, but you get my point.

often times....more people are arrested for things other than driving under the influence itself. its a way to view everyone's records and licenses upon asking 'hows it going?' based on the following:

refusal, slurred speech, being 'difficult', smell of drugs/alcohol, no seatbelt and other small senseless shit. like i said, those are legit reasons for these guys to suspect anything. (these wont get you arrested but they will get your background searched, then out of your car, pat down..etc)

thats what the point of these things are for. small ticky tacky offenses that bring the cash flow in for the city, and if youre lucky..an actual DUI...but once those are spotted, texts go out to friends and all of a sudden there are less and less people. weird.

He didn't ask if he'd been drinking or even where he'd come from though. Nobody is going to gripe about a drunk driver getting busted at a checkpoint... I don't know, for me the clincher is how the cop is being sassy about the kid "knowing his rights."

rarely have i asked 'have you been drinking'. we will ask other questions either waiting to smell something or for the person to slip up...then ask that.

I've been asked if I've had anything to drink. I'm not sure that we have checkpoints in Michigan...I've never experienced one. I have been pulled over a bunch for being out late and stuff like that. Piddly shit. They used to tell me my license plate light was out all the time. The one time I called them on it, they said it was out and it just came on, so it must have a short...right.

you would not believe how many:

broken tail lights

no turn signal

headlight out

etc

has lead to serious felonies.

thats the window to pull over. and if you have nothing, then you move along...warning for you.

but if you blow it, suspicion arises and here we are again. full circle.

Little caveat. Forgive me if this has been mentioned but the constitution doesn't provide the right to drive. You have to earn the license from the state. Everyone is free to walk pretty much wherever they want* in public. It will take you longer but that it constitutionally guaranteed. Stop and frisk and DUI/Driving checkpoints have nuanced differences and the right to refuse search is the commonality but this is not the best example to highlight that point. Both sides were dicks. Cops could have been effective and on guard without huffing and puffing.

Asterisk is not a mistake. I think its self explanatory.

No, but there's a ton of case law about when it's okay to search cars. In my state, you have to provide your license and proof of insurance, and a valid registration, in addition to always consenting to drug and alcohol tests. But other than that, unless you've committed a crime or given reasonable suspicion, you're free to go.

I ran into a local republican politician (who is running for a higher office) in the meat department of a supermarket tonight, where he informed me that "he doesn't let his kids get anywhere near organic foods, because those are the ones that keep making people sick in recalls because they don't use the chemicals and engineering methods to kill all of the diseases and stuff."

...sweet jesus. I didn't even have a response.

I ran into a local republican politician (who is running for a higher office) in the meat department of a supermarket tonight, where he informed me that "he doesn't let his kids get anywhere near organic foods, because those are the ones that keep making people sick in recalls because they don't use the chemicals and engineering methods to kill all of the diseases and stuff."

...sweet jesus. I didn't even have a response.

surprised you didn't throw your head into a frozen section freezer window. i can see it now, but with the benny hill theme song in the backgroud.

I'm not exactly the kind of person that only eats organic free range carrots and shit, but sweet merciful crap I can't even wrap my mind around that high functioning misguided nonsense. People ate broccoli since the dawn of time and survived. Broccoli cross bred with badger DNA? Sure, feed that shit to your kids. What's the worst that could happen, their pubic hair might fall out? Let the hippies keep their natural food. I only feed the safe stuff to my family!

surprised you didn't throw your head into a frozen section freezer window. i can see it now, but with the benny hill theme song in the backgroud.

Though that seems tempting sometimes. How about I just sit cross legged in front of the frozen burritos and slam the door on my skull 30 or 40 dozen times? That's the kind of psychic damage that happens to me when I talk to these people.

I made a post on Facebook a few months ago that this guy's wife (who is some kind of manipulative femme fatale if I've ever met one) saw fit to comment on. It was how the Koch Brothers, major backers of the Republican Party in Michigan, own a company that is storing toxic, three story high piles of petroleum coke on the banks of the Detroit River.

And she commented saying that NO republican would be okay with that because it goes against their values. Blerg?

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic