The only names I recognize are Charlie Parr, The Milk Carton Kids, Tim Barry, Desert Noises, and Mount Carmel

Dammit, I thought if anyone would know some of these bands it'd be you.  I figured you'd know Motherfolk for the simple fact the first song I looked up by them was called Salt Lake City.  No idea if that is actually where they are from.

Caleb Hawley and Roadkill Ghose choir I'm pretty excited about.  Suitcase Junket I found out about a little while back and really like.  Pop Goes the Evil, Bruiser Queen, The Noble Thiefs, Desert Noises, Swear and Shake, Los Colognes all played last year and are pretty damn good.  Me Like Bees and Ruby the Rabbitfoot I just checked out and definitely want to check out more of.

...and you know of my Charlie Parr fascination.  

Just saw that Deftones and Incubus are touring together this summer. And they're playing here on my birthday day. That'd be a pretty good way to celebrate my day. Especially reaching that jaded and elderly age. I may go. If I still have a job, that is. (Things are looking grim after that meeting I had yesterday)

Stoaked on this tour

Dammit, I thought if anyone would know some of these bands it'd be you. I figured you'd know Motherfolk for the simple fact the first song I looked up by them was called Salt Lake City. No idea if that is actually where they are from.

Caleb Hawley and Roadkill Ghose choir I'm pretty excited about. Suitcase Junket I found out about a little while back and really like. Pop Goes the Evil, Bruiser Queen, The Noble Thiefs, Desert Noises, Swear and Shake, Los Colognes all played last year and are pretty damn good. Me Like Bees and Ruby the Rabbitfoot I just checked out and definitely want to check out more of.

...and you know of my Charlie Parr fascination.

Hmmm. I've never heard of Motherfolk. I don't think they're local.

I always wonder how any hears of so many artist I've never heard of. Is it mostly word of mouth or festivals and such? I know bandcamp and similar sites are good for this but people did this before those existed. It doesn't help that I pretty much blocked out any new rock bands since the late 90s until recently. :) I can't believe I'm starting to open up to some of the names I've been hearing about all these years.

Today is my Friday too! Requested tomorrow off, months ago. Just because. And after all the shit that went down yesterday, I wanted today off too but asked too late. No biggie. It's gonna be a few good days off.

After work today I plan on going by this craft beer pub and try out the new Ommegang Three-Eyed Raven as they got it on tap.

Tomorrow night I'm seeing Peter Hook & The Light doing Joy Division and New Order sets.

Saturday 'm seeing Dick Dale. Sunday day we're going to Hatsume Fair at the Morikami Japanese Gardens here. It's the Spring festival. Best part is that they have a beer and Sake garden and I'll surely be hitting that hard.

I always wonder how any hears of so many artist I've never heard of. Is it mostly word of mouth or festivals and such? I know bandcamp and similar sites are good for this but people did this before those existed. It doesn't help that I pretty much blocked out any new rock bands since the late 90s until recently. :) I can't believe I'm starting to open up to some of the names I've been hearing about all these years.

For me alot of it is the local festival.  I never would have gotten so into Americana / Soul and some indie stuff if it wasn't in my backyard.  I've also got a buddy whos into all sorts of odd stuff so I get a ton from him too.  The other way is I'll watch a video on youtube and see what else pops up.  

I just got back from the announcement party and am pretty stoked.  The 50 bands released today are just the bands that the guys running the fest love and think are underappreciated.  They haven't released the "headliners" yet.  Afterwards I stuck around and talked to the head of the festival and the recruiter for a bit and some of the bands that might happen sound pretty good.

Oh and it didn't hurt they had free beer.  Free beer is always nice.  Apparently that venue can't sell beer, but they can give it away.  They have a show tonight that is BYOB but they a local brewery is also going to be there with free beer.

Wish I could call in to work sick tonight.  Can I call in preemptively drunk?  (kidding since my incident I don't drunk, but I'd love to show up for a few free beers)

For me alot of it is the local festival.  I never would have gotten so into Americana / Soul and some indie stuff if it wasn't in my backyard.  I've also got a buddy whos into all sorts of odd stuff so I get a ton from him too.  The other way is I'll watch a video on youtube and see what else pops up.  

I just got back from the announcement party and am pretty stoked.  The 50 bands released today are just the bands that the guys running the fest love and think are underappreciated.  They haven't released the "headliners" yet.  Afterwards I stuck around and talked to the head of the festival and the recruiter for a bit and some of the bands that might happen sound pretty good.

You should check out this compilation. I love it.

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/729-country-funk-1969-1975

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic