I now can't decide between Austin and Portland. I know a far amount of people in Portland, but it is expensive to live and I heard the job market is not that great there. I hardly know anyone in Austin, it's cheaper and has a good job market. The heat in Austin worries me, but I figure I'll get used to it and the climate in Portland seems perfect. Portland is also a hell of a lot further from "home" than Austin, so it might make me feel weird anxiety wise. I don't know, I'm super unhappy here and it's causing me undue pain and agony, but will trying to move make it any better? I'm lost and confused so much these days, I just need a change to at least say I tried something new.

Portland is more expensive than Austin, but there is a lot more to do here (but is cheap compared to a lot of cities like it). I hear Austin is badass in multiple categories, but Portland can offer all of the same, and more, without the crazy heat. I found a job pretty quick. I'm just doing freelance shit for now while I look for stuff, but it's wasn't as hard to find a gig like it was in Seattle (for me at least). It's all about networking these days anyway. So if you know people out here that would be a great start to finding a job. Luckily I know a few people so hopefully I'll find a full time gig soon (that is ok with my beard).

Have you been to either city? If not, you should definitely visit before you decide. Seattle was my dream city for 10 years, and I ended up hating it (cause my dream city was Seattle in the 90s).

• Better Coffee
  • Better Beer
  • Tons of good shows.
  • Tons of great record shops.
  • Bike Lanes Galore!
  • PNW (All that outdoor shit.)
  • Canada is close by!
  • Overcast / Rainy
  • Creatvite
  • Dog friendly
  • Hipster Mecca
  • Dairy
  • Meat
  • Great Public Transportation
  • Worst Drivers (Apparently)
  • Great Food (Vegan, Veg, Carnivore, Brunch, Food Trucks) - So much good food here.
  • Great art scene.
  • Pabst Fest.
  • Healthy
  • Oregon > Texas (Overall)

There are obviously cons about the city. Every city has its fair share of bullshit, asshole, intolerance, and day to day agony, but that's more of personal stuff. I have only been here two months so I have yet to really discover the cons, then again, I stay inside and keep to myself a lot.

The scene here is full of regular hipsters, super hipsters, health nuts, cyclists, hippies, and the like, but at least everyone that I have met / interacted with seems nice for the most part (I'm a standoffish, introverted asshole so that's only saying so much).

Check out this Bloomberg article about the GDP growth: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-27/when-your-kid-moves-out-west-she-takes-the-u-s-economy-with-her?cmpid=BBD042715

I have not been to either city, but I am heading down to Austin in a few weeks to check it out. Portland does seem more friendly, and such, but the rent scares me the most right now. The climate is a major draw for me there. I guess I'll try to make it out there soon too.

Everything you listed seems awesome.

I have not been to either city, but I am heading down to Austin in a few weeks to check it out. Portland does seem more friendly, and such, but the rent scares me the most right now. The climate is a major draw for me there. I guess I'll try to make it out there soon too.

Everything you listed seems awesome.

Definitely, definitely, definitely visit Portland before you decide if you want to move here or not. I can always show you around or whatever when you come up (aka show you all the record shops, and get my girlfriend to tell you about the rest - cause it would be new to me too haha). There are a few people on the boards (who are regulars) that are from here too. I know John is (I can't remember his handle on here cause he changes the damn thing so often- Garbage Golem maybe), and I know there is another regular to ST who lives here.

Rent seems ok here. Then again, I lived in two of the most expensive cities in America. SO there's that. But yeah, I mean, it's going to be more coming from Akron, dude. Haha. But think of what that price difference will get you (how it is with a lot of cities). I'm looking for BDRs for rent. Just find a quiet person who has 2bdrs or something, I move in, don't have to worry about management, a lease, yada yada, and just pay as I go - there seems to be a lot of that here - which is good since apparently people are super friendly here.

If anyone is looking for new closed headphones, Massdrop has the AKG k553 Pros for an incredible $119.

Holy fuck. They are pretty much exactly the same as my k550s but $200 cheaper. They are killer for heavier music, can drive themselves, are comfortable (I wear mine for 6 hours a day usually), are really high build quality, have a great sound stage.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone?s=k553

MD-5833_20150227135152_79d44a70ae572752.

Haha there is nothing photo worthy about my junk set up. Kind of nice that I can have my Mac plugged in but these speakers have no bass. It's kind of growing on me. I was just sick of hearing everything from the left and across the room. Wanted to have the table sitting on its own to the side but not everything would reach so its all stacked. It didnt turn out how I wanted it but its nice to have everything right here. So now I can flip a switch and listen to this.

Here's a close up though.

900x900px-LL-586a186d_0427151918-00.jpeg

If anyone is looking for new closed headphones, Massdrop has the AKG k553 Pros for an incredible $119.

Holy fuck. They are pretty much exactly the same as my k550s but $200 cheaper. They are killer for heavier music, can drive themselves, are comfortable (I wear mine for 6 hours a day usually), are really high build quality, have a great sound stage.

Argg I got an email about this but I ignored it and didnt see the price and already forgot about it!

MD-5833_20150227135152_79d44a70ae572752.

I'm kind of tempted. The jack on my Sennheisers just shorted out. I don't use headphones very often though.

I'm kind of tempted. The jack on my Sennheisers just shorted out. I don't use headphones very often though.

I highly recommend them. I paid $350 for my k550s and they are tanks. The soundstage is so damn good. You will love it. Plus they are only $119 when they're worth $300. I'm getting my girl a pair.

You won't be disappointed.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic