Grabbed that for $22 with 2 day shipping off Amazon.ca just to use until I get around to getting a better one.  Thanks.  I found some old Harman Kardon speakers in my parents crawl space that they said I could take and pair with the HK receiver.  I think they are the HKTS 7 model.  As long as they make a sound, they'll do find until I find a better set/can afford a better set.

I've heard that pre and it definitely does the job(it does what a pre amp is supposed to do, maybe poorly, but it works), but there are way better used pre's you can find for not much more. Music Hall has the PA 1.2 for $175, which is way over priced, but certainly way worth it if you buy used for like $75 or so.

I've heard that pre and it definitely does the job(it does what a pre amp is supposed to do, maybe poorly, but it works), but there are way better used pre's you can find for not much more. Music Hall has the PA 1.2 for $175, which is way over priced, but certainly way worth it if you buy used for like $75 or so.

Living in Canada changes everything though.  If Amazon Prime Canada doesn't carry it, it won't be cheap for me.

Hmm. What about stuff from eBay? How much more is it to ship stuff from America to America, than America to Canada would you figure?

It's not shipping costs, even though they are bad, as much as it is our dollar right now.  A $75USD used preamp + shipping ($15~) would turn into $120 CAD.

I was going to order a VP-29 from Amazon.ca for $80 with Prime shipping, but it isn't expected to be in stock for 5 weeks, and I would like to listen to my records a little sooner.  And again, I'm not sweating the $22 i just spent.  That's less than $17 USD.  It's only a temporary solution.  

When you are 26 and you are playing guitar riffs you wrote when you were 16...and you aren't that good anymore.

That is my life right now. Hahaha  :angry:

At least you can play. I've had a guitar for like 20 years and never learned to play it :(.

I am. But it's going to be ok.

That's good. I'd be finding a new bank and making angry phone calls at this point.

I was going to order a VP-29 from Amazon.ca for $80 with Prime shipping, but it isn't expected to be in stock for 5 weeks, and I would like to listen to my records a little sooner.  And again, I'm not sweating the $22 i just spent.  That's less than $17 USD.  It's only a temporary solution.  

I've not heard it, but it'll do what it needs to until you can afford something much better. $17 is not bad at all, hell even $22 USD would not be bad to get a system up and running quick if it's all you can afford for now.

Anime: Not even once

Not once, not never. 

If you like good TV/movies/stories in general, there's an anime for you. It kinda gets a wrap for being childish, and while there is a ton of shitty childish stuff, there's a lot of brilliant stuff that can be better than American TV. At least give these a look and see if it sounds like something that'd interest you. Once you get past it being anime it's really kickass.

First, the one I made Dominic watch, Mirai Nikki.

Yukiteru "Yuki" Amano is a loner who spends most of his time writing a diary on his cell phone or talking with his imaginary friends Deus Ex Machina, the God of Time and Space; and Murmur, Deus's servant. One day, Deus gives Yuki a special diary, mentioning something about a game. Strangely, Yuki's new diary has entries in it spanning the next 90 days—entries about the future that come unnervingly true. Deus, revealed to be the not-so-imaginary God of Time and Space, then forces Yuki to participate in a battle royale with eleven other people, each of whom also has a diary that can predict the future in some unique way. The rules of this "Diary Game" are simple: the contestants must try to find and kill all the other contestants before the world ends on Day 90, and only the last one standing can prevent the Apocalypse and become the new God of Time and Space.

Yuki initially has no desire to win the game, but after Deus informs the other contestants that Yuki, as the "1st" Diary owner, is his favorite to win the game, he is forced to team up with the 2nd Diary owner—his obsessive stalker, Yuno Gasai—in order to survive the constant attempts on his life by the other diary users, who see him as the biggest threat. Although Yuki only feigns affection for Yuno to manipulate her into protecting him, he soon becomes too afraid to spurn her after witnessing her psychopathic obsession with their "Happy End" (a prediction in Yuno's diary that she and Yuki will "become one" on July 28, the 90th day of the game) and the terrifying methods she employs to remove anything and anyone she perceives as a threat to it. Yet despite Yuno's apparent insanity and the mounting evidence that she is hiding something from Yuki, his declarations of love become increasingly sincere over the course of the game. Even as he learns that he cannot trust any of the other contestants, Yuki continues to trust Yuno because her feelings for him are genuine and because he is unwilling to personally stoop to the dirty tactics the competition resorts to in order to survive.

Second, Elfen Lied

Can't find a review/summary that does it justice.

Code Geass

The story is set in an alternative timeline where the world is split into three superpowers, Britannia, the Chinese Federation, and the European Union (previously known as the Euro-Universe). The story takes place after the Holy Britannian Empire's conquest on Japan on August 10, 2010 a.t.b. (1955 A.D.), by means of Britannia's newest weapon, the "Autonomous Armored Knight", or Knightmare Frame. In turn, Britannia effectively strips Japan and its citizens of all rights and freedoms and renames the country Area 11 with its citizens referred to as Elevens.

Lelouch Lamperouge is an exiled Britannian prince who was sent as a bargaining tool to Japan, along with his sister Nunnally Lamperouge, by his father, Emperor Charles zi Britannia, after his mother, Marianne vi Britannia, was killed. When Marianne was murdered, Nunnally was set up as a false witness. Because of this, her sight and her ability to walk were taken from her. This makes it difficult for Lelouch because he must take care of her while on the run in Japan during the war. After the war in the ruins of a Japanese city he then vows to his Japanese friend Suzaku Kururugi that he will one day obliterate Britannia. Seven years later, Lelouch gets caught up in a terrorist attack and finds a girl called C.C. (C2), who saves Lelouch's life from the Britannian Royal Guard, by making a contract with him that grants Lelouch a power known as Geass (ギアス giasu?). This power, also known as the Power of the King (王の力 Ō no Chikara?), allows him to command anyone to do whatever he wants, whether bending their will to live, fight, or die on his behalf –though only once, with direct eye contact. Lelouch decides to put his Geass to use and find the person who killed his mother, destroy the Britannian Empire, and to create a better world where his younger sister, Nunnally, can live happily. In the process, Lelouch becomes the leader of the resistance movement known as The Black Knights under his alter ego Zero, as he gains popularity and support among the Japanese on his way towards the rebellion of Britannia.

All three of these are mature/have great stories. Still a little bit of the trademark anime cheesiness, but it comes with the territory. Mirai Nikki is amazing regardless of your hate for anime.

Death Note.

/end

Death Note is cool, but there's a lot of other good shit. Check my list if you're interested. 

He already had me watch one and it ended up being really good. The thing I hate most about anime is the rabid fans and cult-like mentality of anime worship.

Yes, we do tend to be a bit like BN/PJ fans, but like I just pointed out, we aren't the only ones like that. :P

For Secret Santa, I made a wantlist, (never had one before) and in my usual style of humor, I added parenthetical commentary to each release.

https://deadformat.net/collection/DOMAN127/wants

My "haves" are WAY out of date (I usually keep them on Discogs, not DeadFormat), but I'm gonna listen to my new Godspeed record tonight and update it. It'll receive the same treatment of side comments.

It took me over an hour, but I documented my collection on DeadFormat. It's got a commentary, like the wantlist, just in case y'all wanted to read that (I pray that SOMEONE does...). I have changed my signature to reflect this list establishment.

https://deadformat.net/collection/DOMAN127/haves

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic