Look at how many youth soccer leagues and players there are in the US compared to youth football. The numbers are hard to ignore. In my town, they cannot field football teams at some age groups due to lack of participation.

Parents are also shifting away from football as more becomes known about the long lasting effects of head arrangements.

I read an outside the lines article about that actually. The numbers for youth enrollment rate for soccer and lacrosse (YAY!!) are rising. If the NFL gets it's head on straight with the concussion issue, they will be fine

I read an outside the lines article about that actually. The numbers for youth enrollment rate for soccer and lacrosse (YAY!!) are rising. If the NFL gets it's head on straight with the concussion issue, they will be fine

lacrosse is way more interesting than soccer, imo.

oddly enough, the big sport at my college was soccer, and we didn't even have a football team.

Read this.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/mlb/people-watch-mls-examining-nfl-nba-mlb-nhl-big-four-myth

There are numerous other articles out there like this. The MLS overhead is also much smaller than those leagues.

You mentioned "makes more money." 

Just making sure we're not throwing around sayings without facts.

Well you can extrapolate that MLS does challenge the NHL on the money making from this particular article. There are more articles out there like this.

I agree that the MLS is growing - and I'm excited about it. But financially, I don't think it will ever pass the NFL or MLB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

And currently sits at almost 1/5 the revenue of the NHL (as of 2012, granted - two years ago). That's a HUGE amount.

gonna rant about work for a bit. cuz i feel like it. and kind of need to.

the rest of management has been scapegoating the shit out of me for some time now. i'm always getting ragged on for forgetting this, or doing that wrong, or not doing enough of these. which, in just about every case- they were right.

but as the other 4 managers i work with have gone on weekly tropical vacations for the last month, it's become painfully obvious that i am absolutely not the only person at fault for shit not getting done. every one is guilty of this shit. 

now, one of my absolute favorite parts of working retail is folding clothes. seriously- i'm real good at it. but that just goes back to me being an artist and the sculpture classes i've taken. i like makin' shit look goooood.

so our men's section never gets any love. if we fold down adult, men's gets a quick run-through while women's gets all the attention. not a huge surprise, because hardly any dudes shop our store. but it was ignored for a while, so when i closed a couple nights this week, i gave it the dedication it badly needed.. and finished it off by (easily) making one table of t-shirts look fucking *perfect*.

yesterday, i was sat down and criticised by another manager because of my tunnel vision- that i shouldn't be focusing on one thing when the rest of the store needs work.

except i gave the store the proper fold-down it needed. well, relative to what everyone else has done lately. because our nightly fold-downs have been shit.  but yeah, i was scolded for doing one thing way too well, and not doing other stuff kind of well. even though that other stuff was all done better than any other person has even bothered to do.

be9hg4I.jpg

I agree that the MLS is growing - and I'm excited about it. But financially, I don't think it will ever pass the NFL or MLB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

And currently sits at almost 1/5 the revenue of the NHL (as of 2012, granted - two years ago). That's a HUGE amount.

And it is Wikipedia.

It is interesting, but societal pressures can change culture quickly. It will be interesting to see how it all develops

Ugh I get to drop off my boss at a car dealership on my way home.  I like how my other boss just TOLD him I was going to do it.  Then comes to me and says "Will you drop him off?"  As if I have a choice at that point.

That's the worst.  I've had that happen to me a few times too.

gonna rant about work for a bit. cuz i feel like it. and kind of need to.

the rest of management has been scapegoating the shit out of me for some time now. i'm always getting ragged on for forgetting this, or doing that wrong, or not doing enough of these. which, in just about every case- they were right.

but as the other 4 managers i work with have gone on weekly tropical vacations for the last month, it's become painfully obvious that i am absolutely not the only person at fault for shit not getting done. every one is guilty of this shit.

now, one of my absolute favorite parts of working retail is folding clothes. seriously- i'm real good at it. but that just goes back to me being an artist and the sculpture classes i've taken. i like makin' shit look goooood.

so our men's section never gets any love. if we fold down adult, men's gets a quick run-through while women's gets all the attention. not a huge surprise, because hardly any dudes shop our store. but it was ignored for a while, so when i closed a couple nights this week, i gave it the dedication it badly needed.. and finished it off by (easily) making one table of t-shirts look fucking *perfect*.

yesterday, i was sat down and criticised by another manager because of my tunnel vision- that i shouldn't be focusing on one thing when the rest of the store needs work.

except i gave the store the proper fold-down it needed. well, relative to what everyone else has done lately. because our nightly fold-downs have been shit. but yeah, i was scolded for doing one thing way too well, and not doing other stuff kind of well. even though that other stuff was all done better than any other person has even bothered to do.

be9hg4I.jpg

I'm sorry about that man. I hate ineffective management. Sometimes it's not about the associate didn't get done, especially when like you said, you have been shorthanded

Guest stl_ben.

Ugh I get to drop off my boss at a car dealership on my way home.  I like how my other boss just TOLD him I was going to do it.  Then comes to me and says "Will you drop him off?"  As if I have a choice at that point.

Are they letting you go a little early and paying you for the time spent doing it, and paying you gas/mileage?

EDIT: because that's what they should be doing/my boss does because he's awesome.

until MLS players are paid more than substitute teaching wages, then we're talking.

this completely. The amount of mls players with part time jobs blow my mind hahaha

They also need to get on the same schedule as the rest of the world or close to it. It's the only league I know that'll be going on during the World Cup or thinks they can win a champions league final while their teams are on break.

That's like expecting an NFL team to win a Super Bowl after not playing together in 3 months during their off season vs a team that just won a playoff game.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic