well. that was a fucking day.

after weeks of speculation, finally got the word that my division of the company is officially being shuttered. never fun spending a day seeing all your friends and coworkers get laid off. not to mention totally heartbreaking to see the amazing website we've worked so hard building up and put so much love and sweat into over the past year and a half all come to a screeching halt and rendered irrelevant in an instant.

fortunately, as i'm under contract and not staff, it looks like i'll get to at least ride out the rest of my contract. although, since the entire department i was working for was eliminated, not a damn clue what i'll be doing for the next few months if they even keep me around that long. 

there were several expensive bottles of champagne consumed earlier as people made final (excellent) use of their corp cards. i've now moved on to drinking hard root beer at home and trying to dance out my feels to the loved ones. 

going into a mostly empty office tomorrow is gonna be awkward and awful and super depressing.

saying "i'm super fucking bummed" doesn't even really begin to sum it up right now.

after weeks of speculation, finally got the word that my division of the company is officially being shuttered. never fun spending a day seeing all your friends and coworkers get laid off. not to mention totally heartbreaking to see the amazing website we've worked so hard building up and put so much love and sweat into over the past year and a half all come to a screeching halt and rendered irrelevant in an instant.

fortunately, as i'm under contract and not staff, it looks like i'll get to at least ride out the rest of my contract. although, since the entire department i was working for was eliminated, not a damn clue what i'll be doing for the next few months if they even keep me around that long. 

there were several expensive bottles of champagne consumed earlier as people made final (excellent) use of their corp cards. i've now moved on to drinking hard root beer at home and trying to dance out my feels to the loved ones. 

going into a mostly empty office tomorrow is gonna be awkward and awful and super depressing.

saying "i'm super fucking bummed" doesn't even really begin to sum it up right now.

Damn, L, that's shitty. Is your job at least secure for sure until the contract runs out? Hope you are doing okay <3

I am so sorry to hear all of this. The only good thing is that you still have your job even if it's short term. It's really sad to see your whole workplace torn apart like that. I guess this makes the decision to move out of your town a lot easier ? Once again, I'm really sad to read all of this, I knew how much work you put into your job and it sucks to see this happen to you.

I am so sorry to hear all of this. The only good thing is that you still have your job even if it's short term. It's really sad to see your whole workplace torn apart like that. I guess this makes the decision to move out of your town a lot easier ? Once again, I'm really sad to read all of this, I knew how much work you put into your job and it sucks to see this happen to you.

If anyone wants to move to somewhere hot, sweaty, and miserable, Phoenix will welcome you with open arms <3

Damn, L, that's shitty. Is your job at least secure for sure until the contract runs out? Hope you are doing okay <3

thanks guys  :wub:

there was definitely a lot of speculation and a sense this might be happening, but no one knew for sure what the plan was, so i tried to stay positive about it. and then today, it definitely wound up being way worse than expected. almost everyone got laid off. it's shitty and i've been in this same place way too many times before. it's an unfortunate reality of the media industry these days. 

but yeah...knowing that this might be the case and that my future at the company was uncertain for the past couple weeks is what gave me a big kick in the pants to start thinking about what my next steps my be and looking into leaving nyc. this is the third time in 9 years that i've been in this situation and i can't do it again. it's pointless. i need to get out of this city and out of this industry. it's too emotionally devastating having to keep do this. 

and the hardest part is the logic of this decision has zero merit. the work we were doing was awesome. we just won a ton of awards and ranked as the number one travel site. they're killing this amazing thing we built for no real reason. sure, it wasn't all perfect, but improvements and fixing a few major issues sure seems like a better solution than just putting it out to pasture. 

chris making a long overdue appearance earlier does make the day slightly better though. 

and i give myself major props for busting my ass to get my mexico city article done before this all came down. at least i got one last thing i could be really proud of in before the site got killed. 

Best of luck to you, L, although you won't need it. Just take it as a sign of new and better things to come. You'll take your experience, both good and bad, and be able to have even more valuable and satisfying things in the future.

Spin your favorite album and look forward to a future of possibilities.

chris making a long overdue appearance earlier does make the day slightly better though.

and i give myself major props for busting my ass to get my mexico city article done before this all came down. at least i got one last thing i could be really proud of in before the site got killed.

Lauren, I have a lot to say but cannot type it all down, the bottom line is I am very very sorry. This is awful and shouldn't be happening. I am sending posi vibes.

:(

Best of luck to you, L, although you won't need it. Just take it as a sign of new and better things to come. You'll take your experience, both good and bad, and be able to have even more valuable and satisfying things in the future.

Spin your favorite album and look forward to a future of possibilities.

Sorry to hear that Lauren. New opportunities are on the horizon for you though! Good luck!

Lauren, I have a lot to say but cannot type it all down, the bottom line is I am very very sorry. This is awful and shouldn't be happening. I am sending posi vibes.

:(

thanks guys . your support means a lot <3

i really just need to get out of this city and out of the media industry. i've been saying both of these things for years and i think this is just the last straw. it's now or never. i need to get my shit together and figure out what i'm going to do and where i'm going to go after this. it's a big question and totally overwhelming and terrifying.

i've also pretty much done more or less the same job for 9 years. even though i'm awesome at it, i know it's a dead end and i need to get out. i've know this for a while. but every time i try to figure out what direction to go in, i struggle because i have no idea what else i want to do or what else i can really translate all my skills and talents into. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic