3213243-Local_Customs-Akron.jpg

Rex's erection, for anyone curious. Totally SFW.

It can sure.

The family outvoted me for our moving to northern Alaska.

And I had to turn down a research opportunity in Antarctica because the wife said that, "it's too cold there".

That's what I get for marrying a Greek instead of a Swede, Norge, or Fin.

I think it'd be pretty awesome to live in Alaska, at least in Anchorage. Haha, I can see someone of Greek decent not digging that idea at all.

A research opportunity in Antarctica sounds like a crazy ass once in a lifetime experience. Sucks you couldn't do it.

I haven't been back there in almost ten years cause my Grandpa is a fucking douche back, in turn making all my aunts idiots. Everyone on my mom's side can suck it. My Dad has his mom left and she is pretty much gone mentally. So no reason to go out there to nowhere and nothing. Haha.

Also, whenyou get to TX get ready to sweat your balls off, dude.

Living here does that to people. People have this weird pride about this area, despite only talking about the old glory days. I'm sure it's common in any failed city, but it's just bizarre to me.

I know, I'm doing to die my first summer. Hopefully I adjust pretty quickly. My Aunt said it took her a year or two to adjust from here to there.

3213243-Local_Customs-Akron.jpg

Rex's erection, for anyone curious. Totally SFW.

I think it'd be pretty awesome to live in Alaska, at least in Anchorage. Haha, I can see someone of Greek decent not digging that idea at all.

A research opportunity in Antarctica sounds like a crazy ass once in a lifetime experience. Sucks you couldn't do it.

Yeah... Antarctica would have been amazing. She was like... isn't it dark there a lot?

Sure, but it's basically daytime for 6 months a year.

Hey guys, wondering if any of you can help me out!

My friend got an iPhone 5S from his uncle, and it's been disabled due to too many attempts at guessing the passcode (his uncle doesn't remember it). I tried factory restoring it, but the power button seems to be broken. On the phone it says to connect to iTunes, but when I attempt to, iTunes asks me to respond on the iPhone, which I obviously can't seem to do.

Any chance you guys have a recommendation on how to solve this issue? 

Edit: Looks like I solved the issue. Huzzah.

Did you ever check out any more Portugal. The Man albums Dom? 

Edit: Also, listen to If These Trees Could Talk's ST EP now. That really sent the Post-Rock in motion for me.

Forgot to update you. 

Dust & Disquiet is an infinitely better album than Tigers Jaw s/t and I'm glad I listened to Caspian again, because I'm 99% sure the reason I didn't like it a year ago is because I didn't even know what post-rock was.

Glad you enjoyed it. Plus maybe you like the darker spectrum of post rock. I can make you a list of stuff more like D&D if you want.

I know you probably know a few of these, but this is the essentials list Post Rock ended up with a few months back:

cWFpRTW.png

I never really put much thought into it, but IITCT - AtE BtS was voted #1? Kinda crazy. 

I mean overall it was. I do love it. It's not my number 1 but it is my favorite ITTCT album.

//

Dom, Rez, T, here is my post when we were contributing our own personal lists (that went on to make up the final list):

// TOP 15 POST-ROCK ALBUMS //

1. Caspian : Tertia // 2009

2. pg.lost : Key // 2012

3. Gifts From Enola : From Fathoms // 2009

4. If These Trees Could Talk : Above The Earth, Below The Sky // 2009

5. This Will Destroy You : Young Mountain // 2006

6. Kokomo : Kokomo // 2013

7. Slint : Spiderland // 1991

8. té : ゆえに、密度の幻想は綻び、蹌踉めく世界は明日を『忘却』す。(Thus, the Illusion of Density Comes Apart at the Seems) // 2012

9. Year Of No Light : Nord // 2006

10. Toe : The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety // 2005

11. *shels : Plains of The Purple Buffalo // 2011

12. Beware of Safety : Leaves/Scars // 2011

13. Earth : The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull // 2008

14. Toundra : II // 2009

15. Red Sparowes : At Soundless Dawn // 2005

This list only took me a bit cause I wasn't going strictly instrumental. If I were, it would have been a lot easier. There is so much good post-rock out there floating around that I had to sit down and consider a lot. I also had to pick my absolute favorite release per artist cause I didn't want to repeat any.

Honorable mentions:

God Is An Astronaut : All Is Violent, All Is Bright // 2005 (16th) *

Deadhorse : We Can Create Our Own World // 2010 (17th)

Giants : Old Stories // 2008 (18th) **

Mono : For My Parents // 2012

Jakob : Solace // 2006 ***

Glaciers : And The Sea Won The Battle // 2009

Set & Setting : Equanimity // 2013

Russian Circles : Station // 2008

Pelican : Australasia // 2003

Moving Mountains : Foreward // 2008

The Shaking Sensations : Start Stop Worrying // 2013

sleemakeswaves : ...And So We Destroyed Everything // 2013

◯ : Black Sea of Trees // 2012 ^

Shy, Low : Hiraeth // 2015

Oak : Not Afraid Anymore // 2012

* / ** / *** - Really weird to not have this in my top fifteen. Especially being that this and YATC were my gateway albums into post-rock. But I didn't want this turning into a 'gateway' list, so they dropped down a bit. I sadly don't listen to this album as much as I used to after there being a decade of other post-rock that's come out since then, in additional to 'new' stuff to me.

^ - I think this band / album is incredibly under-rated. If you haven't heard them, change that: https://o-music.band...-sea-of-trees-2

If my list could have repeat artists:

1. Caspian : Tertia // 2009

2. Caspian : You Are The Conductor // 2005

3. Caspian : Dust And Disquiet // 2015

4. Caspian : Waking Season // 2012

5. Caspian : The Four Trees // 2007

6. pg.lost : Key // 2012

7. Gifts From Enola : From Fathoms // 2009

8. If These Trees Could Talk: Above The Earth, Below The Sky // 2009

9. This Will Destroy You : Young Mountain // 2006

10. Kokomo : Kokomo // 2013

11. Slint : Spiderland // 1991

12. té : ゆえに、密度の幻想は綻び、蹌踉めく世界は明日を『忘却』す。(Thus, the Illusion of Density Comes Apart at the Seems) // 2012

13. Year Of No Light : Nord // 2006

14. Toe : The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety // 2005

15. *shels : Plains of The Purple Buffalo // 2011

(Dom - if you really enjoyed Dust And Disquiet, I think you would really enjoy anything by Toundra, Year Of No Light, and Gifts From Enola, and pretty much all my honorable mentions.)

Also depending on how much my car stuff costs Friday, I'm going to grab the last 3 Caspian records, and 2 Kokomo records I need.

Do it. Absolutely do it. Which Kokomo do you need? S/T and If Wolves?

Where's Yndi Halda? Not a fan?

Honestly, there's just something about them that keeps me from getting into it. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's not for me. That's the cool thing about post rock though, there's so fucking much of it that I don't lose sleep if I don't like a well known / well liked band. Pretty much the only two I don't like that are praised / loved are Yndi and EITS. I can't get into Yndi, but I fucking loath EITS.

Besides, there are so many other artists I would put up there even if I did like Yndi. I could make a top 100 post rock album list easily.

I've heard Spiderland and I don't even know where to classify it...I know it tends to get the "post-rock", "math rock", and "post-hardcore" labels, but I don't see it as any of those. It's a special case.

I was shocked to find that toe is classified as post-rock too, cuz it feels like straight up math in my head. I had this talk with Kevin earlier, but I don't like toe, though I'm basing this entirely on their first album.

I've heard a few scattered throughout those lists, but I just don't know where to start.

I've heard Spiderland and I don't even know where to classify it...I know it tends to get the "post-rock", "math rock", and "post-hardcore" labels, but I don't see it as any of those. It's a special case.

I was shocked to find that toe is classified as post-rock too, cuz it feels like straight up math in my head. I had this talk with Kevin earlier, but I don't like toe, though I'm basing this entirely on their first album.

I've heard a few scattered throughout those lists, but I just don't know where to start.

Yeah, Slint is special. They are technically post / math rock and post-harcore, but their style is unique and presentation is raw. Combine that with their roots / background and you get this really interesting sound. If you want to really dive into it you should check out the Breadcrumb Trail DVD.

Toe is definitely post rock, but their song structure is absolutely math rock. You might be surprised how many post rock bands are math rock. Like I said, the post rock universe is really diverse, and deep.

As far as where to start, man, there is so much just pick an album and swing from vine to vine. Use Spotify, pick an album, then go to related artists and pick another. Oh here, have fun: https://open.spotify.com/user/matt_photographs/playlist/60sxgaYBPBFXVxH9H9cGVl

It's not too bad if I order both from the label.

I cleaned my Red Forest again, and it finally sounds better. My copy must have just had a ton of splatter crap.

Edit: I need to grab that Toe record too. I've also never heard Slint.

Edit 2: Fuck, I need that Russian Circle repress too. Stupid money.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic