Steubenville, Ohio High School gang rape cover up

I just don't understand how out of all of the people involved and all the witnesses... No one was like 'uh guys this is wrong, stop.' It's scary knowing such a large group of people have zero morals.

Yeah, it has always facinates me how such disgusting people find people just as sick as they are, if not worse. It is frightening to think about. Then it is more shocking thinking about how people who have authority were involved. Stuff like this and the West Memphis Three case blow my mind.

having been to stubenville before, this is not surprising at all.  the local media, even the pittsburgh media, has completely ignored this.  it blows my mind.  here in pittsburgh we hear more about teachers being killed in Afghanistan, Polio workers being killed in Pakistan, the gang rape in India more than something that is happening less than an hour away.  its so messed up;.

I remember finding out about this on reddit a few weeks back and was thoroughly disgusted.  The site had to keep closing down the threads because people were posting very specific personal information about the perpetrators.  I'm sure if you still wanted to find that information you could.  Enjoy your new found fame guys, if the legal system won't bring about justice, someone else certainly will.

I just don't understand how out of all of the people involved and all the witnesses... No one was like 'uh guys this is wrong, stop.' It's scary knowing such a large group of people have zero morals.

The NY Times had a great feature on this just before Christmas. There was a similar case while I was at the University of Florida. These things still disgust me but they no longer shock me and thats sad.

These. Unfortunately as much as I want to say I'm shocked and saddened, there are places in the USA where people are either 1) on a pedestal, 2) have somebody in the legal system looking after them, 3) play ignorant/blame the victim. Its awful, and even more maddening that people brag about things like this to the world. Sad state of affairs.

having been to stubenville before, this is not surprising at all.  the local media, even the pittsburgh media, has completely ignored this.  it blows my mind.  here in pittsburgh we hear more about teachers being killed in Afghanistan, Polio workers being killed in Pakistan, the gang rape in India more than something that is happening less than an hour away.  its so messed up;.

This is what is wrong with the media.

I don't watch the news, the only time I hear about ANYTHING is through word of mouth or through social media (wish I could filter that a little more than is possible).

Not to say that we shouldn't be aware of what is going on in the world, but the perception is so unbalanced.  There should be a point to learning about these tragedies.  If you just hear over and over about shootings over there, war over there, rape in that town, two things happen:

1. It becomes white noise, you become jaded.  Rape happens every day, but you know what?  Rape doesn't happen every day to people I know.  If it were to happen to someone I knew, even casually, the appropriate, human response, would be to be fucking furious, and to take steps to ensure justice (not revenge or vigilantism, justice).  I don't want my response to be "that's sad, she shouldn't have gone to that party by herself", I want to be motivated to DO SOMETHING about it.  The reality is when we hear about these tragedies every day in far off places there isn't much we can do.  Sure, maybe we could throw money at some organization that will help, only to hear a few months later that they are being scrutinized for improper dissemination of the funds they raised.
  2. The bar is lowered.  It happens every day.  It happens every day.  It happens every day.  It happens every day.  It happens every day. Now it's normal.  It's not fucking normal, there are just that many people on the planet.  This subliminal cultural perspective is what caused those who weren't directly involved in the rape, but covered it up to justify it in a fucked up way.  It's not a big deal, it happens all the time.  The media needs to cover the outrage, the justice process, follow-up with the victims long after the fact.  Keep it in people's minds that it's not fucking normal.

Ohio's Attorney General Mike DeWine is now involved according to CNN.  Hopefully he can make something happen.

It sadden's me to know that the pyscho in that 12 minute video was planning on attending OSU (or was attending; not sure).  I live in the Columbus area and it just makes me ill to know that people like this are around us.  If he decides to come to Campus again he better watch his back.  There's tens of thousands of students that would just love to make his life a living hell I'm sure.  K A R M A !!!

I'm glad that I can't watch the videos as they're blocked on my work laptop. But goddamn, reading through it has not only turned my stomach at how disgusting people can be and are, but also blows my mind that in this day and age, shit like this happens here in this so-called first world country and society.