What is Your Top 5 Favorite Bands

here are five, can't guarantee they are my top five, but whatevs

H2O - first hardcore band I liked that wasn't "an old band".  and in high school the song "guilty by association" was the coolest shit ever

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - saw them live because I kinda liked "The Impression that I Get" when I first heard it on the radio.  They were instantly one of the greatest live shows ever and still are.  probably better each time I see them which is amazing

Rancid - when I was in 7th grade Ruby Soho was on the radio and it was awesome.  I went to Strawberries (this music chain that used to exist in Massachusetts) and asked the dude for anything that sounds like Rancid.  He told me to get this CD called "Give em the Boot" that the singer of Rancid just put out on his own label.  Naturally I listened to the shit out of that first CD and it opened like a bajillion doors to new music.  I'll never forget playing that CD for my friends (in 7th grade) and how none of them could stand it.  "I can't even understand what they're saying".  Classic.  Thank you dude who worked at Strawberries.

The Ducky Boys - I have a huge man-crush on Mark Lind and think everything he records is the greatest thing ever.  Don't really remember how I got into them, I think they were on the first Skins n Pins comp or something.  Anyway their first couple of albums were fast street punk, which was just my thing in high school.  but for some reason the entire world was against me at that time and every chance I had to see them play some crazy shit went down that prevented it.  Like my friend's POS car breaking down on the way to the show.  Or getting to the show only to find out it's cancelled because fucking Blanks 77 were a no show.  Then they went on hiatus for like 5 years and I thought that was it.  Luckily they made a comeback and I finally got to see them play in LA on St. Paddy's day in 04.  Everything they've done since is really fucking good with beautiful lyrics, but it seems they're forever outcast as a nineties street punk band.

Tiger Army - I guess they're number five because I fucking love them but they're pissing me off because they never fucking tour and they haven't released new material since 08.

After those guys it's like an eight way tie between Bad Religion, The Ramones, Bane, Swingin Utters, Misfits, The Specials, Ten Yard Fight and maybe Have Heart.  Who knows it changes all the time.  Social Distortion is up there too.

Saves the Day- A girl that I liked introduced me to Through Being Cool right when it came out and it blew me away, dark lyrics, super fast, super catchy

The Misfits- got into them 16 years ago when I was in 8th grade because a kid I thought was cool wore their t-shirts so I picked up a copy of Collection II at a Best Buy

Hot Water Music- Because Caution is, and always will be, one of the greatest modern guitar rock records

Ryan Adams- got into him when Rock n Roll came out because of the "On Your Side" single and video

American Nightmare- the first time I heard Background Music it blew my dick off, then after I re-attached my dick, I read the lyrics and they blew my dick off again

the beatles - grew up listening to the beatles with my dad

rush - my uncle is a huge rush fan, the first cassette i ever bought was 2112 at walgreens when i was like 8. i have been hooked ever since

jimmy eat world - bought clarity when i was in high school and was blown away. a friend recommended i pick it up, good friend.

thrice - illusion of safety was a big deal for me in 2002. Thrice has consistently put out solid records, and they were a big part of my early "show going" days in the 2001-2003 time frame.

the misfits - like the beatles of punk rock for me.

if i could have six, zao would be next on this list. they really introduced me to "hardcore/metalcore".

Bright Eyes - dismissed them for years, finally a friend who's opinion I trust gave me Wide Awake and it's been one of my favourite records since

Cursive - The Ugly Organ changed/ruined my life 

The Lawrence Arms - They will always be my favourite band. Great Story Ever Told is the greatest record ever written. 

Kate Nash - I can't help it, I just never get sick of her. All my friends hate me for it. 

The Menzingers - My favourite band who are currently consistently active 

Coheed - saw a feature on them years ago on "thenjscene.com" (anyone remember this?) and was blown away by Claudio's voice and couldn't believe he wasn't a woman at first. 

Queen - I just want to ride my fucking bicycle. 

Saves The Day - this one has withered over time but their first 3 albums were important enough to me that they still make the list. 

Blink - for better or worse the band that got me into the "scene" originally and provided a significant amount of influence. 

Bruce Springsteen - raised on his tunes, one of the most impressive live performers of any genre of all time. Causes an undeserved sense of pride. 

*Murder By Death - Never heard of them before I saw them play at Strhessfest in Cleveland in 2003. "Those Who Left" was the song that really caught my attention. Purchased "Who Will Survive..." on CD not knowing the name of that song, & was bummed I guessed wrong. Didn't think too much of the CD at first, gave it a rest for a while, but then gave it another chance & it just clicked with me. I was hooked

*Muse - Got into them casually after Absolution came out. Got into them a little more when Black Holes came out. Became a fanatic in 2009 after Resistance came out. Not because of the album itself, but more because my younger bro got really into them, and I surprised him with front row tickets to see them in Detroit for Christmas. But because of that, plus my wife's growing obsession, we started tapping into B-sides and pre-Absolution stuff finally, on top of watching endless live videos. I had seen them previously before and was blown away each time, but now I had a better knowledge of all of their material and it just became an all encompassing obsession between me, my wife, an my bro. It was fun counting down the days till that Detroit show

****I don't feel like typing giant stories for the last 3 so I'll keep it short...

*Cloudkicker - Was listening to some Russian Circles on You Tube, and Cloudkicker was a random "recommended video" i checked out & was instantly hooked.

*If These Trees Could Talk - Saw them open for Russian Circles. Was blown away & I've been obsessed ever since. Didn't even know they lived 20 minutes from me at first. So because of that, i get to see most of their shows in this area which I'm very grateful for. SIDE NOTE - I get to see them open for Caspian in March :)

*Deftones/Thrice/& all the various post-rock I listen to now all tie for 5th (with the post-rock nod currently going to Gifts From Enola)

now, now - saw them play years ago when they were still now, now every children and was hooked. Them being from minneapolis helps because i see them live alot and love them

Blink-182 - I remember hearing I miss you on the radio waay back in the day and loved the way Tom sang but didnt really get into them until I was older

Bloc-Party - a friend of mine turned me onto them didnt like them so much at first but one of my favorites now, and love their live shows.

Matt & Kim - I used to be super into music with alot of piano and my friend played me daylight one day and i was like holy shit.

Balance & Composure - Heard separation after recently breaking up with my girlfriend and listened to the shit out of that album one of the only kinda hardcore bands i listen to. not so into heavy music

Rancid - when I was in 7th grade Ruby Soho was on the radio and it was awesome.  I went to Strawberries (this music chain that used to exist in Massachusetts) and asked the dude for anything that sounds like Rancid.  

I used to go to a Strawberries in Danbury, CT before the digital age destroyed every brick and mortar music retailer.  This, trash (american style) and volt in Danbury are the only reason I was able to find so much music as a kid.

For my favorites...

Rancid.  Most influential band to me as a kid, got me into so many punk bands I used to listen to religiously.  ...And out come the wolves is probably the only old school punk album I still listen to on a semi-regular basis

American Nightmare.  I liked hardcore before I heard them.  Loved it afterwards.

The Rolling Stones.  Favorite classic rock band.  Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are up there too, but I had to go with the Stones.

Converge.  No explanation needed.

The Receiving End of Sirens.  Between the Heart.... is, IMO, one of the most flawless albums ever written/recorded.  Just fucking wow.  I love this band, and to this day refuse to like Dear Hunter because Casey had to implode TREOS to start it.

and I gotta throw a 6th in there... Kid Dynamite.  

Honorable mentions: Shai Hulud, On The Might of Princes, Brand New.

Current favorites...

Bad Rabbits

Red City Radio

Menzingers

Iron Chic

Blink-182 - I remember hearing I miss you on the radio waay back in the day and loved the way Tom sang but didnt really get into them until I was older

Weird hearing the self-titled (untitled) record being referred to as way back in the day.