MANTI TE'O GOT CATFISHED

Best comments I've seen on the matter:

"I'll allow Notre Dame to sweep this Te'o story under the rug if they will publicly acknowledge that Rudy was offsides."

"He wasn't missing tackles in the NC game, he was hugging his girlfriend."

"Mark Richt has lost control of Manti Te'o"/"Jim Tressel knew about Manti Teo's fake girlfriend last April"

"I'll allow Notre Dame to sweep this Te'o story under the rug if they will publicly acknowledge that Rudy was offsides."

"Mark Richt has lost control of Manti Te'o"/"Jim Tressel knew about Manti Teo's fake girlfriend last April"

Alabama's running backs aren't even sure Manti Te'o exists at this point.

Sort of off topic but the fact they labeled that Catfish movie as a documentary is ridiculous. That movie was about as real as Manti's girlfriend.

This. I have avoided watching it because how fake it seems/I have heard it is. I guess I should see for myself.

best twitter response of the day. Deadspin wins for the win two times

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/how-to-take-a-compliment-from-donald-trump

still doesn't explain who he was on the phone with all those nights, and who he met in person.

and if this kid went to a friend with a sobbing confession, you don't think HE is going to remember which friend that was?? anonymity seems pointless.

still doesn't explain who he was on the phone with all those nights, and who he met in person.

and if this kid went to a friend with a sobbing confession, you don't think HE is going to remember which friend that was?? anonymity seems pointless.

Was thinking the same. Interesting to see how they explain the co-conspirator theory who went under deep cover and allegedly did all of these phone calls. 

This naivety of this guy (if he was actually duped) would worry me more as an NFL GM than if he just sacked up and admitted it. 

Best part about this scandal -- Catfish marathon on MTV, right now.

Seriously though, this kid has everything to lose where as the "friend" catfishing him has nothing to lose. Te'o was supposed to speak yesterday but never did. If you ask me he's been in contact with the guy posing as his girlfriend, and he's been promised a nice sum of money to make sure the world believes Te'o was played (money that can easily be raised not just from his initial contract, but a tell all interview that he sells the rights to -- likely to some sympathetic network where he can control the message/questions). 

As someone said a few posts above, I'd be far more worried about this guy getting completely played and really having no knowledge, as opposed to him being complicit in it, if I were an NFL GM. That said, I personally believe it is highly unlikely this was done, or at least furthered, without his knowledge. Especially since Te'o is on record as lying about the death after the date he found out about it being fake, according to ND -- and his family has lies on record.

Also, the Grantland Mailbag today has some good stuff if you're still looking to read takes on the story. 

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8856794/the-all-teo-mailbag

I just hope he doesn't end up a Cleveland Brown after the draft...

apparently you've never watched Catfish on MTV

I have watched it a few times while surfing channels, never stayed with it past a commercial. I'll answer my own question. A very lonely, desperate, deranged human. And the people that get catfished are just as lonely, desperate, and deranged. It is making my head explode trying to understand what people are thinking.

I mean he played like SHIT after he found out

Besides his interceptions, his stats were hardly all that impressive this season. Most of the hype around him was his story, and that he was the "heart and soul" of the ND defense. Jones, Mingo and Clowney all seemed to have had much more impressive seasons, but lacked the sad story.

My guess is he is Gay. Why as a Mormon would you choose a Catholic university to attend. In the Samoan and Mormon culture being gay is frowned upon. So why not go to a school where he doesn't have to practice his faith and is away from his culture. Then cover up with this fake girlfriend so no one has to know where she is. Then with her passing he never dates again because he is so hurt... Conspiracy theory I know...

Thoughts?