The Official Horror Thread

Rip

My girlfriend and I have been working on an essential horror movie list to go through during October.  These are movies, we think, that any horror lover has to watch.  These are the classics, the best of the genres, the innovators.  The movies you're afraid to admit you haven't watched.  We're not cutting too deep here; these should be Horror 101.  Even if it's not your favorite, or even the best, you can admit it is required viewing.  Criticisms and suggestions welcome, though I'm trying to keep it to one per franchise and avoid anything that's mainly Sci-Fi (blurry line, I know, but that's why Alien isn't on the list). I'm sure we're missing some obvious ones.

No particular order:

1. Halloween (original)

2. The Omen

3. The Thing

4. Night of the Living Dead (original) OR Dawn of the Dead (original).  We can't agree.

5. Friday the 13th (original)

6. Nightmare On Elm Street

7. 28 Days Later

8. The Exorcist

9. Rosemary's Baby

10. Hellraiser

11. The Amityville Horror (original)

12. It

13. Pet Semetary

14. Evil Dead OR Evil Dead 2.  We can't agree.

15. Candyman

16. Children of the Corn

17. Nosferatu

18. The Shining

19. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

And more on topic, Ernest Scared Stupid is my favorite Halloween movie!

My girlfriend and I have been working on an essential horror movie list to go through during October. These are movies, we think, that any horror lover has to watch. These are the classics, the best of the genres, the innovators. The movies you're afraid to admit you haven't watched. We're not cutting too deep here; these should be Horror 101. Even if it's not your favorite, or even the best, you can admit it is required viewing. Criticisms and suggestions welcome, though I'm trying to keep it to one per franchise and avoid anything that's mainly Sci-Fi (blurry line, I know, but that's why Alien isn't on the list). I'm sure we're missing some obvious ones.

No particular order:

1. Halloween (original)

2. The Omen

3. The Thing

4. Night of the Living Dead (original) OR Dawn of the Dead (original). We can't agree.

5. Friday the 13th (original)

6. Nightmare On Elm Street

7. 28 Days Later

8. The Exorcist

9. Rosemary's Baby

10. Hellraiser

11. The Amityville Horror (original)

12. It

13. Pet Semetary

14. Evil Dead OR Evil Dead 2. We can't agree.

15. Candyman

16. Children of the Corn

17. Nosferatu

18. The Shining

19. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

And more on topic, Ernest Scared Stupid is my favorite Halloween movie!

This is really close to my girlfriend and I's essentials list.

Watched a couple horror comedies over the last two days.

-Bloodsucking Bastards- really funny vampire flick that has a bunch of "hey, I know that guy from that one horror movie" actors. I really dug this one.

- Burying the Ex- It was directed by Joe Dante (Gremlins) and starred Anton Yelchin (Star Trek remakes), so I had high hopes. Unfortunately a weak script took over and made it pretty terrible.

I watch horror flicks all year long, so for Halloween I try to stick with stuff that includes the actual holiday in some way:

-All of the Halloween films

-Trick 'r Treat

-Hocus Pocus

-House of 1000 Corpses

-Ginger Snaps

-May

-Satan's Little Helper (a guilty pleasure)

I usually watch a lot of Halloween specials and the like too that remind me of being a kid:

The Halloween That Almost Wasn't

Witch's Night Out

Disney's Halloween Treat

The Halloween Tree

And don't ask me why, but I've had a thing for years that on Sunday mornings/afternoons in October I just love watching old Universal Monster flicks.

super solid list, if we are talking about essentials though, id like to see house of 1000 corpse and The Beyond added.

A man after my own heart. Such an awesome fucking movie. Great death scenes & practical effects, while actually being creepy too. & that score  :wub:.  My fave Fulci flick.

I usually watch a lot of Halloween specials and the like too that remind me of being a kid:

The Halloween That Almost Wasn't

I'm the same. I have a VHS tape from when I was a kid that has this on it, and the Disney Halloween Treat too. I really need to get the DVD of them in case that tape ever shits the bed.

Also on my list is The Worst Witch and Return to Oz, because Fairuza Balk.

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread