The Official Horror Thread

Rip

Been binging through the nightmare on elm street series the last week, such fun movies. Didn't realize #4 had an awesome scene at the end where Freddy's jaw gets ripped off. In college me and a buddy were all about scenes in movies where dudes get their jaw ripped off and came up with a top 10 jaw-getting-ripped-off-scenes list which was totally awesome. I need to find that list.

Was gonna comment on Viral but pretty much just echoing what Yan said. The skater one definitely had some "fuck yeah!" moments (Dude! the killed Gas Money!) but the connecting story was awful.

I kinda understand what I think they were going for in all of them (what "real" magic is like, the irony of how the two dimension crossers died, the panic surrounding the police chase) but it was just terribly executed. Could barely figure out what was going on half the time in the main story.

Huge disappointment.

Just finished it. Man that dislocated jaw scene got me lol, very freaky!

When that scene happened my girlfriend and I both said out loud "what the fuck?!" I'm not surprised/freaked out by much by things in movies nowadays after all the fucked up ones I've seen, but that part was crazy! I loved it.

Though it isn't really a horror movie, more of a thriller, I watched The Guest last night.  I'm only posting this here because it was brought to you buy the guys that have had a hand in making You're Next, V/H/S, etc.  I loved it and highly recommend a viewing.  Definitely Drive meets the Terminator.  

The lead actress in "Taking of Deborah Logan" was perfect. One of the better ones in a while.

I thought "Mr. Jones" was pretty good, though they really dragged out the end. The scarecrow pieces were pretty badass.

I liked "Beneath" a bit better. A little predictable, but not bad.

The lead actress in "Taking of Deborah Logan" was perfect. One of the better ones in a while.

I thought "Mr. Jones" was pretty good, though they really dragged out the end. The scarecrow pieces were pretty badass.

I liked "Beneath" a bit better. A little predictable, but not bad.

I was so SOOOO disappointed with Mr. Jones. It had so much potential to be something more than what it was.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched some pretty bad horror movies lately. Here are my official reviews:

Starry Eyes - Good, not great. Decent acting and directing, story was pretty cliche with a dumb ending. 2.5/5

As Above, So Below - Bad. Just watch The Decscent instead. 1.5/5

Tusk - Goddammit, I wanted to like this movie so bad. I love Kevin Smith, I loved Red State, I thought this would be a huge step up for him. It gets off to such an amazing start as well, but then halfway through just turns into a big joke of itself but then tries to turn it around and end it on a serious note. It just doesn't know what kind of movie it wants to be. So much potential though.., sigh. 2/5

Watched some pretty bad horror movies lately. Here are my official reviews:

Starry Eyes - Good, not great. Decent acting and directing, story was pretty cliche with a dumb ending. 2.5/5

As Above, So Below - Bad. Just watch The Decscent instead. 1.5/5

Tusk - Goddammit, I wanted to like this movie so bad. I love Kevin Smith, I loved Red State, I thought this would be a huge step up for him. It gets off to such an amazing start as well, but then halfway through just turns into a big joke of itself but then tries to turn it around and end it on a serious note. It just doesn't know what kind of movie it wants to be. So much potential though.., sigh. 2/5

I kind of liked the concept of As Above, So Below. I agree, it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. The story was interesting and I didn't think the acting was all that bad. I was just glad it wasn't one of those freak/dead people chasing the living through the catacombs, but something much different. Can't really compare it to The Descent other than it being underground and people dying because the story is so different. I happen to like terrible scary movies though so I am sure my opinion is discredited with that.  :)

Also, I have mixed feelings about Tusk.  It stuck with me and really made me think about what was going on after watching it, so I guess in that sense I thought it was pretty good. There were bits and pieces that I didn't like, but I would recommend it to others. 

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread