RIP The Mars Volta

Always thought they were overrated as well.  First album had some good stuff at the beginning of the record, but then it just all kind of blended together.  Sad that this is going to kill my dream of see an ATDI reunion tour.  I was banking on them doing a reunion tour after last years festivals.  If I would have known they werent, I would have spent the money for a plane ticket to see them in Texas or something.

I've never been able to get into it for someone reason. Point me to a few choice Omar solo tracks Rudolph, I'll take a listen.

Well, there's alot of so wade through, but I'd check out omars bandcamp with these couple of releases:

Xenophanes- this is probably one of the best releases he has. Him and his girlfriend at the time (Ximena) sing together on this. It's all in Spanish but it's absolutely beautiful. Ojo al cristo de plata and Oremos Are both excellent tracks.

Cienca de los inutiles- probably the most stripped down record you'll ever hear from this man..Just him on guitar, an upright bass, and Ximena singing. Also in Spanish, it really shows how well he can arrange a "bare-bones" album.

And finally, the BEST for last. CRYPTOMNESIA- this shit right here nigga? The fucking bees knees for Volta fans. This record boasts an awesome line up of talent. He recruited Zach hill for drums and Cedric for vocals..it slays anything after Frances, I don't care how over the top Thomas pridgen can play. I like to think of it as the missing link between relationship of command and deloused. I love the whole album, but here are some good tracks anyway:

Half kleptos

Puny humans

Shake is for 8th graders

Elderly pair beaten with hammer

I'll shut up now.

Is it just me or does Omar seem like an absolute douche bag?

Dude can make some killer music, but his personality?

meh...

Is it just me or does Omar seem like an absolute douche bag?

Dude can make some killer music, but his personality?

meh...

where have you been? Omar has always been a class A prick

TMV is talented as fuck.

when you say "TMV is overated" all i hear is "i don't understand/appreciate complicated music. it just sounds like noise to me".

everyone in that band is amazing at what they do, and their albums are always interesting, at least from a musicians perspective.

i'm trying to not sound like a pretentious here, but i probably sound like one anyway.

TMV is talented as fuck.

when you say "TMV is overated" all i hear is "i don't understand/appreciate complicated music. it just sounds like noise to me".

everyone in that band is amazing at what they do, and their albums are always interesting, at least from a musicians perspective.

i'm trying to not sound like a pretentious here, but i probably sound like one anyway.

This. They came out of far left field with Deloused and I at least found their sound challenging and exciting to listen to when most other bands coming out at that time felt rehashed. Really appreciate what they did for music at that time.

But yeah, after Frances.. bore.

I'm pretty sure I'm in a bigger minority here in saying that I enjoyed everything they put out. With that said - to me, Octahedron probably has to be the last album I go to for listening to them and also like sean said before - I also think that no one really gave Bedlam In Goliath a chance solely based on the fact that they put out Amputechture before. Frances was by far they're greatest album to me and while mostly everybody won't agree with me on that, I stand by that statement. I will say, I wish I would have seen them a couple more times before this, though. 

their first two albums are pretty hard to top.

as far as post frances material, bedlam is still a great listen. i don't think a lot of people gave that one a chance.

I'm listening to Bedlam right now. In my opinion, it's their third-best, right behind Frances and De-loused. Everything beyond those three I don't ever really listen to.

I'd just like to get in that I thought Amputechture was a solid record. Definitely their most underrated. No wonder Omar & Cedric call it their "autistic child".

Anyway, I agree with what someone said on page 1, maybe they'll take some time to re-issue a lot of the old stuff. Everything right now is too rich for my blood.