my dog bit me this morning...

and im super bummed about it. he's 3, we adopted him about 5 months ago, and we love him. Hes been growing increasingly aggressive (mainly towards strangers) and no amount of training has been able to fix it. This morning it boiled over and he ended up biting me. im brining him to a shelter later today... I am so bummed. has anyone ever been put in a situation like this? mainly im bummed because my girlfriend is so sad. 

Ah, man, that sucks. So sorry. Do you know anything about him pre-adoption? Have you guys been training him yourselves or have you been to classes run by pros? I don't have a dog, just a super aloof cat who's also a rescue, we've had her for three years and i'd be gutted to be forced to hand her to a shelter for whatever reason. I can't even imagine what it must be like with a dog.

well the story with him is he has severe separation anxiety, like he is ALWAYS at my side or my girlfriends side, we have to kennel him if we leave the house and every time we come home its like he hasn't seen us in YEARS. so he kept getting brought back by people who couldnt handle that about him. We totally could. 

hes so protective of us that he will bark and show aggression to anyone that comes near us that he hasn't met before. This is the first time he has show any aggression towards me personally. i also just realized that he has a sore on his paw, so when i tried to move him this morning (hes REALLY lazy) i more than likely touched it and he freaked out. 

the bite itself isnt too bad. I didn't bleed but there are clearly still markings where he bit me. thinking back on it, the second it was over he immediately became submissive and did that "holy shit, what did I just do" look.   me and the gal talked it over, our good friend specializes in training aggressive dogs so i think we are going to try that out first. i hate to give up on him, and after calming down i don't think I am ready to.

tumblr_mffu4felEH1qz5z88o1_500.jpg

I wasnt joking when i say he never leaves our side. 

Don't over react then, try training, my dog bites an nips me/my wife from time to time, granted its in her nature as a herding dog, but a strict no at her and she drops down and just barks at me. Usually needs food/water/peeoop, she's never done it to anyone but us

i just lost my shit, i should have calmed down before I jumped to any decision. in the back of my head i will always be worried when strangers come near us....shit needs to get worked out.

Hey man

We got a dog from a fmily about 3 years ago. She is super anxious, and has really bad seperation anxiety. She used to bite us if we touched her food bowl. With a lot of training and reassurance, she's come A LONG way. Far from perfect, but she no longer tries to/bites us when we take food, toys, etc from her.

Your dog can be fixed! Don't give up yet. Is the shelter a "no kill" shelter by chance? 

Hey man

We got a dog from a fmily about 3 years ago. She is super anxious, and has really bad seperation anxiety. She used to bite us if we touched her food bowl. With a lot of training and reassurance, she's come A LONG way. Far from perfect, but she no longer tries to/bites us when we take food, toys, etc from her.

Your dog can be fixed! Don't give up yet. Is the shelter a "no kill" shelter by chance? 

our dog does resource guarding too! but not with his food. only things like rawhide bones and stuff, we are working on that. during my freakout stage, i immediately started looking in to no kill shelters. there are, from what I found, only like 2 in austin...maybe only one. our pup is such a good dog, yea he doesn't know his own strength so playing with him is rough sometimes but we just need to get him over the fact that no everyone is out to hurt us when we go for walks. when people come in to our home they are greeted with him jumping and wanting to play. its only when we go outside I have to worry a bit more. 

I'll seee if I can send you some training stuff. Our trainer is AMAZING (not saying you friend isn't). We've fostered 8 dogs for a local rescue, and we've seen it all (we have 3 of our own dogs as well. The one I was talking about above, one who was scared of everything when we got him, and our newest has his own issues of not backing down when another dog chalenges him).

if you want to PM me your e-mail, I'll see what kind of stuff we have on the home laptop

This worked quickly on both of my dogs (granted they were both puppies when we got them) but when they got "bitey" we just grabbed their snouts and held the mouth shut for a few seconds and sternly said no a few times. Within a couple weeks, they no longer even thought of biting people. Even when they get riled up pretty good. Maybe we just got lucky that worked for both of them but it worked really well without yelling or smacking them.

well the story with him is he has severe separation anxiety, like he is ALWAYS at my side or my girlfriends side, we have to kennel him if we leave the house and every time we come home its like he hasn't seen us in YEARS. so he kept getting brought back by people who couldnt handle that about him. We totally could. 

hes so protective of us that he will bark and show aggression to anyone that comes near us that he hasn't met before. This is the first time he has show any aggression towards me personally. i also just realized that he has a sore on his paw, so when i tried to move him this morning (hes REALLY lazy) i more than likely touched it and he freaked out. 

the bite itself isnt too bad. I didn't bleed but there are clearly still markings where he bit me. thinking back on it, the second it was over he immediately became submissive and did that "holy shit, what did I just do" look.   me and the gal talked it over, our good friend specializes in training aggressive dogs so i think we are going to try that out first. i hate to give up on him, and after calming down i don't think I am ready to.

tumblr_mffu4felEH1qz5z88o1_500.jpg

I wasnt joking when i say he never leaves our side. 

Awesome, was reading your OP thinking the shelter was a done deal. Good luck with everything.

Rescues are obviously tricky, and it can be a lengthy process. Some adjust in a few months, others a few years. Some always have their ticks. If you are willing to do the work, you'll probably get a favorable outcome. But it is hard. I hope you keep trying. There is a lot of resources out there.

This literally happened to me about a month ago.

We have a 4 year old English Bulldog. Almost every single night, I'll get down on the floor with him and wrestle around with him a little bit and flip him on his back and rub his belly. He has always been super playful and I've never even seen him get agitated or mad towards anyone. Whatever the reason, As soon as I went down on the floor towards him, he turned around and bit me on the left side of my nose across the bridge.

I didn't think he even got me at first until I sat up and there was blood running down my face. I got up and ran to the bathroom and there was a pretty good gouge in my nose with a flap of skin hanging off. I ended up having to get 2 stiches.

It was compltely bizarre, as I said, I've never seen him agitated or mean towards ANYONE EVER.

I have no idea why he did it but as soon as he did it, he knew he did something bad because he ran into his cage that he absolutely never goes into and every single morning when I come home from work, he immediately jumps up and comes running over to me wanting to lick me to death and the morning after this happened when I came home he didn't even get up. I had to tell him to get up to come over to me and he just walked really slow towards me looking really sad.

Anyways, I'm lucky we have an English Bulldog. They have an extreme underbite and their teeth don't match up when they close their mouths. If it would have been any other dog, it would have probably taken the tip of my nose off.

your dog is CUTE op- give 'im another chance!!

We have a 4 year old English Bulldog. Almost every single night, I'll get down on the floor with him and wrestle around with him a little bit and flip him on his back and rub his belly. He has always been super playful and I've never even seen him get agitated or mad towards anyone. Whatever the reason, As soon as I went down on the floor towards him, he turned around and bit me on the left side of my nose across the bridge.

I didn't think he even got me at first until I sat up and there was blood running down my face. I got up and ran to the bathroom and there was a pretty good gouge in my nose with a flap of skin hanging off. I ended up having to get 2 stiches.

It was compltely bizarre, as I said, I've never seen him agitated or mean towards ANYONE EVER.

I have no idea why he did it but as soon as he did it, he knew he did something bad because he ran into his cage that he absolutely never goes into and every single morning when I come home from work, he immediately jumps up and comes running over to me wanting to lick me to death and the morning after this happened when I came home he didn't even get up. I had to tell him to get up to come over to me and he just walked really slow towards me looking really sad.

Anyways, I'm lucky we have an English Bulldog. They have an extreme underbite and their teeth don't match up when they close their mouths. If it would have been any other dog, it would have probably taken the tip of my nose off.

as for brock have you had any health problems with your bully?? i have one he will be 2 in april and has been fine until recently.. he's got the 'bumps' ever experience anything like that??

@qwrm38 We had a pretty serious scare when he was 2. We noticed when he was going outside to pee that nothing was coming out. After a day, he started being able to pee but it was really bloody. He ended up having really bad bladder stones that he couldn't pass through. He had to get surgery to where they basically had to make a larger peehole for him so he could pass the stones.

You just made a grown-ass man say "Awww" outloud to himself. So jealous (not about the bite lol). But my wife and I LOVE English Bulldogs. They are the cutest goddamn dogs ever. Someday we want to save up and get one. Or move to Chicago and adopt a rescue from the big Bulldog rescue place out there.

You just made a grown-ass man say "Awww" outloud to himself. So jealous (not about the bite lol). But my wife and I LOVE English Bulldogs. They are the cutest goddamn dogs ever. Someday we want to save up and get one. Or move to Chicago and adopt a rescue from the big Bulldog rescue place out there.

haha yeah man, they are pretty awesome! We just got a puppy about 5 months ago too so we have 2 here at the house.