PO: My Bloody Valentine - New Album 180 gram

Ok good! They're more important than I know! They're more important than Nirvana! Even though I've never heard of MBV.

nirvana kinda sold out with their MTV and their teen spirit. There's probably a lot of good bands you haven't heard of. Seriously though, you're sounding real dumb in a MBV thread. You should probably just stop trying to prove a point no one here is going to agree with.

Also, I've never heard of you before today. You must not be very good.

I hadn't even heard of My Bloody Valentine until today.  The way you guys talk about them, you'd think they were Nirvana or something.  Is this real life?

My Bloody Valentine basically invented shoegaze.

Loveless was ranked #219 on Rolling Stone's Greatest Albums of All Time/#2 on Pitchfork's Top 100 Albums of the 1990s.

Every band with a wall of reverbed guitars and buried vocals worships at the feet of Kevin Shields.

It's 2013/it's no longer "cool" to act like you don't know about things when everything I just said can be found in 5 minutes of reading Wikipedia.

Ok good! They're more important than I know! They're more important than Nirvana! Even though I've never heard of MBV.

Guess it all depends on what you define as being important? Is it defined as a bunch of 13 y/o girls crying the day Cobain offed himself? Im not gonna knock Nirvana because other than Nevermind, I think their catalog is pretty epic. Great band. MBV is very goddamn important though, especially when you see the number of musicians inspired by their sound. Hell, even Trey Anastasio (guitarist for Phish, considers Loveless to be the greatest album of the 90s and you can actually see some of his guitar work transitioning to incorporate some of the techniques MBV performs, in the latter part of the 90s). I honestly think MBV has inspired many more musicians than Nirvana ever has, and that means more to me than anything when it comes to defining "importance" because music always has, always is and always will be, constantly evolving.

I love the fact that it kinda came out of nowhere. Such a highly anticipated album just popped up for people to listen to and buy it. You can even preview it on YouTube before pulling the cash.

Just look at today's marketing moves, Soundgarden's huge websites, album "trailer", video directed by Dave Grohl for instance. And Shields just go there and release music that his fans were waiting for. No big fuss, just music.

I'm listening to it now, trying to keep Loveless aside and avoid a direct comparison. I can say it's good enough to honour MBV's signature. And that's enough for me.

I love the fact that it kinda came out of nowhere. Such a highly anticipated album just popped up for people to listen to and buy it. You can even preview it on YouTube before pulling the cash.

Just look at today's marketing moves, Soundgarden's huge websites, album "trailer", video directed by Dave Grohl for instance. And Shields just go there and release music that his fans were waiting for. No big fuss, just music.

I'm listening to it now, trying to keep Loveless aside and avoid a direct comparison. I can say it's good enough to honour MBV's signature. And that's enough for me.

It vastly exceeded my expectations. I absolutely am in love with this album. Probably played it 10 times through already.

I don't think it's really a question if it comes down to influence on other bands or genres, MBV wins. but yeah Nirvana is much more popular and well known. So there's that.

Totally agreed. Sidenote, finally ordered Nirvana - Unplugged on vinyl. Been holding off on this way too long. So I guess if anything, this discussion brought Nirvana back into my attention to where I remembered to finally buy Unplugged.

I know that The Smashing Pumpkins aren't Nirvana, but I know that MBV influenced Billy Corgan. Take a look at this interview http://audioinkradio.com/2012/02/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-webisode-daydream/ where he discusses how he heard the "ethereal melodies and crushingly loud distortion" which inspired him.

I know that The Smashing Pumpkins aren't Nirvana, but I know that MBV influenced Billy Corgan. Take a look at this interview http://audioinkradio.com/2012/02/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-webisode-daydream/ where he discusses how he heard the "ethereal melodies and crushingly loud distortion" which inspired him.

They inspired more than 1 or 2 Smashing Pumpkins songs. IMO, MBV is the foundation for their entire style. If there wasnt MBV, I doubt we know of the Smashing Pumpkins at the level that we actually do. I hate to say it because I love the first 3 Pumpkins albums, but theyre almost a blatant ripoff of MBV's sound.

They inspired more than 1 or 2 Smashing Pumpkins songs. IMO, MBV is the foundation for their entire style. If there wasnt MBV, I doubt we know of the Smashing Pumpkins at the level that we actually do. I hate to say it because I love the first 3 Pumpkins albums, but theyre almost a blatant ripoff of MBV's sound.

I'd agree with this. The bulk of Siamese Dream is basically Corgan's attempt to imitate MBV's guitar tone.

I normally due this, like with Converge AWLWLB but getting the download for this was too tempting to not hear. I've listened to it 4-5 times since Saturday night.

Its personally been well over 10 years since I discovered Loveless, there was no way I was waiting another second to listen to this album, haha!

Ill be better prepared to comprehend the added dimension to my vinyl listening session once it arrives.