PO: Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll (5/7)

Not surprised that this is the way their sound is going, but doesn't make it any less terrible to my ears. 

For me it got slowly worse after TTTYG, I'm not one of "those" who thinks all bands get less and less appealing when they get more popular, but this is one of those examples where they did.

FOB releases a mediocre new track - VC is expressly underwhelmed.

Brand New releases a new single that is Jessie Lacey burping over the sound of trash cans rolling down a hill - VC is like "OMGZ! Bought 17 vinylz"

Funny how some pop punk bands "evolve" and their fans can separate and others cannot.

That said, I'm on the fence about the new song here. I agree that it seems more like a teaser. Like, an intro track before the album.

FOB releases a mediocre new track - VC is expressly underwhelmed.

Brand New releases a new single that is Jessie Lacey burping over the sound of trash cans rolling down a hill - VC is like "OMGZ! Bought 17 vinylz"

Funny how some pop punk bands "evolve" and their fans can separate and others cannot.

That said, I'm on the fence about the new song here. I agree that it seems more like a teaser. Like, an intro track before the album.

Hey! Don't bring JL into this.

Releasing a new song and video with the announcement of your new album is pretty much the definition of a single.

Ill try to explain my reasoning behind what I said but as you said yes, a new song and video before your new album is qualified as a single. In 99.9% of cases

With fall out boy, I've seen a more fun teaser single pattern.

Nobody puts baby in a corner was the first new song of fuct, I think there was an acoustic video for it floating around and definstely a 7in release but as we all know the out of the gate song for that was sugar were going down.

For infinity in high, a really cute viral happy tree friends video for the song carpel tunnel of love prior to the release. This ain't a scene was the first single( tho it should be pointed out Carple tunnel did end up being a "single" while never truly meant to be)

Then finally folie had that sweet mix tape. Only full song on it was alpha dog (and ended up not even making the album due to how many songs ended up on the record) with snippets from the upcoming major singles.

As for this song, no actual band footage with the feel its leading to something else. Apart the fiya part... I'm actually really starting to like it and getting really excited. But I could just be a biased overcast kid

Is anyone else getting the vibe that they're trying to cut ties with the image they had before the hiatus?  Just with the song title, album title, and all the symbolism/references with fire and burning their old merch/records...?

I would say they were trying to cut ties with that image with Folie

They should have just got back together for a 10th anniversary tour of TTTYG and then disappeared until the 10th anniversary of FUTCT and then been done.

Cause they are a band just to appeal to fans who only like their first two albums. That makes so much sense. They obviously should of came back not to write music and enjoy themselves but rather prance around like teenagers to people with the same mentality as teenagers. Genius!