i know i've said this before, but...

That's awesome buddy.  I'm on month two of sobriety and it's going pretty damn well.  The first two weeks were awful, due to alcohol withdrawal (I really did drink a lot), but after that passed it's been awesome, especially knowing the money I pissed away can go toward actual items that I can keep longer than a few hours.  

i find that i'm not a total goofy bastard when i'm not high of half drunk all day.

i'm usually annoying as hell in person (if not here too).

it's hard being double super dad now that the wife is gone, so i figured it was best for everyone if i did this.

i had the shakes for a few days, but i've gotten over 'em.

i'm proud of myself.

actin' all mature and shit.

So awesome. I've been clean from 'other things' for a little over two years now. It's amazing how clearly you begin to think after awhile. You realize how cloudy your mind was before. A bigger plus is you can buy twice as many records (or more) and still have money to spare.

Good job dude, I'm also staying sober this month. After which I think I'm just going to reign it in and drink a lot less, except certain occasions. I think a year at the bottom of a bottle is long enough.

That's pretty accurate, I did a whole year before I finally realized I wanted to try something different and much better for me physically and mentally.

y'all niggas is good niggas.

i don't think i've had a "real" sober day in at least 15 years, until this week.

every time i've quit something it's been booze, and i always picked it right back up within a month.

i've never quit pot.

i've never blamed pot for my behavior or my problems.

and i'm starting to see that it might have been a big factor in everything.

my wife said one of the reasons she left me was because i was so immature and annoying, which i've noticed i'm completely not when i'm not smoking.

i'm not happy or proud that i picked up cigarettes again, but damn do they help.

And I'd say that's to be expected, completely, given everything that's happened to you. The fact of the matter is that you're bettering yourself. You've got a direction established, and you have enough clarity to see where you were and where you need to be. That's really half the battle, and the fact that you're making such decent progress, already, should be a testament to your ability to find happiness. Whenever and however that may be. You're working towards it, and that's what counts right now.

keep it up my man.  growing up with an alcoholic mother and having a big addictive personality i know what you are going through.  the thing that saved my life was having kids.   the joy of seeing your kids face glow with happiness is way better than any other high imo.  just keep them in mind when you feel bad my man. 

my life has changed so much this year.

here's a list.

switched from beer to whiskey.

stopped eating.

lost wife.

started smoking half a pack a day.

shaved beard.

took out lip ring.

took off wedding ring.

quit drinking and drugs completely.

now smoking two packs a day. EDIT: really more like, 25 to 30 cigs a day. so not really two.

still eating less than a meal a day.

also the hole where my lip ring was is irritated as shit and getting scabby. no fun there.

now if only i could start writing songs again.

Nice! Once you take your lip ring out you are a real person. 

Give the no booze thing a go for a bit. The urge to drink will never go away but if you can go booze free to a while (say a month or two) you can start to develop so more productive habits. And once you so that, if you reintroduce drinking you might find you keep the more productive stuff as well and / or boozing become less of priority. 

Worked for me anyway. Took a month off (Jan.) and even though I'm drinking again now I zapped my unproductive habits and am designing and working in the evenings way more. 

Good lucks bud.