Transit - Young New England

Shit sucks get over it. He could of said way worse things, like how their lyrical choruses sound like they were ripped from the newest Dev club mix :P

Nice write up Thomas! <3 Member's gave it a 5.7/10 too :P

As for myself I have listened to this while playing Xbox makes great ambience because of the twangs, also my friend and I laughed our buns off at the lyrics ahahah

sometimes that's just the way you feel. totally is the way i do.

i would go back and listen again but damn if i don't want that sense of disappointment again

So every album that you have ever been disappointed with on the first listen you have never listened to again? That seems pretty dumb. But hey, that's just my opinion.  ;)

So every album that you have ever been disappointed with on the first listen you have never listened to again? That seems pretty dumb. But hey, that's just my opinion. ;)

I give your opinion a 9/10. Given how much I liked this opinion I will now more harshly scrutinize future opinions. A bar has been set, if said bar is not surpassed I will actually be doubly disappointed in you for not exceeding my expectations of you and your opinions.

Also, Tommy stated in the comments of his review that he considers an average score, or at least HIS average score, to be 7/10 rather than the standard average of 5/10. Not really sure how that makes any sense whatsoever lol. After seeing him say that and seeing him say that Something Left Behind is better than KTTY, there is just no way that I can trust his opinion on anything.  :P

After seeing him say that and seeing him say that Something Left Behind is better than KTTY, there is just no way that I can trust his opinion on anything.  :P

Something Left Behind is really good, one of my favorite Transit releases, but since it has reworkings of older songs, a demo of 1978 and is borderline EP length, I don't think it should be evaluated with the full lengths...

There's no way to write a review without being subjective about it.  It just sucks that the negative reviews are the ones that get people in trouble.  So I don't think it's completely fair to trash Tommy because of his 'opinion.'  If you (read: anyone) claim he was being disrespectful towards the band, I guess that holds a little more than just claiming his review sucked, but still, that remains an opinion.

The bottom line is, there's no way that this whole situation can be leveled out and forgotten unless all parties involved decide to agree to disagree.

Besides, we gotta save up our best jokes and put downs for the inevitable shit show that will be any and all Fall Out Boy reviews that are to come later this month.

I agree with the "In Reverie" and "Pinkerton" statements. This album is a grower for sure, and people like Thomas Nasiff who wrote it off immediately are gonna look like idiots in a few years.

Here's the battle. I'm on Nasiff's side for now!

or you'll look like an idiot for thinking that. i guess we'll see.

i for one absolutely despised it on first listen and have no intention of wanting to go back and listening to a poor album ever again.

Here's the battle. I'm on Nasiff's side for now!

This record would make far more sense if YNE came between L&F and KTTY.

Absolutely! Would've been that weird transition between older, poorly produced and structured (but still rad) stuff and new, more melodic, awesomely-produced stuff.

If you delete nothing lasts forever, young new england and hazy, it's a solid one!

I'll have to try this.

this is so no bueno. lyrics remind me of a high school poetry class.

I listened to this again today. I've never been a huge Transit fan but I did really like Keep This To Yourself. This new record sounds pretty much like Listen & Forgive  to me so it's definitely not as bad as everyone is saying. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if people actually listen to it and you start to hear a few brave fans saying it's their new favorite Transit record or at better than Listen & Forgive.

That being said, Nothing Lasts Forever and Young New England are both a bit silly but fun to sing along to. I'll continue to refer to those two as guilty pleasures. As far as the lyrics go, I'll have to check them out later. Transit is/was a pop punk band and probably most of their fans are in high school so I'm not surprised if the lyrics are meant to appeal to that crowd.  Also, I have never been a huge fan of Joe's voice...it has always sounded weird and absolutely still sounds weird. It does stand out a bit more at some parts of this record than it has in the past and he does deserve some criticism here.

All that being said, I recommend people actually give the record a chance instead of writing it off. I'm increasing the score on my official VC review from 5-6 to 6-7.

It sounds nothing like L&F. Like, seriously. L&F is far more polished and emo leaning than this one.

They also haven't been a pop punk band since like, Mid '10. Promise Nothing and L&F weren't pop punk at all.

That's why I said is/was pop punk... You start off as pop punk and you will absolutely still have pop punk fans as fans as you "grow".  And I know a lot of people think it's crap compared to L&F. I definitely don't think that's the case...I like L&F more but this album is a definite grower after five listens.

To say it sounds "nothing" like L&F is just ridiculous. Obviously they are different records but you could have put over half of these songs on L&F and fans would have been pretty happy to hear them two years ago. 

Are you a big Transit fan or what? I'm just wondering where you're coming from. 

That's why I said is/was pop punk... You start off as pop punk and you will absolutely still have pop punk fans as fans as you "grow".  And I know a lot of people think it's crap compared to L&F. I definitely don't think that's the case...I like L&F more but this album is a definite grower after five listens.

To say it sounds "nothing" like L&F is just ridiculous. Obviously they are different records but you could have put over half of these songs on L&F and fans would have been pretty happy to hear them two years ago. 

Are you a big Transit fan or what? I'm just wondering where you're coming from. 

Didn't like KTTY or any of the early stuff other than a few songs, Promise Nothing is one of my favorite 7"s, L&F is one of my favorite albums of the last few years. That's basically my basis for this.

Honestly this record feels like it'd fit a lot better between KTTY and Promise Nothing. They lost a lot of the polish and gloss from the PN/L&F era and it would be far less jarring if they went from okay pop punk to whatever the hell YNE is. then with L&F it feels like they polished up and mastered the sound rather than losing what made that good.

I don't understand the people that say it was a well written review...too much fluff, fours across the board, unnecessarily harsh word selection while pretending to be a fan of the band, rumors of a breakup, the random comparison to Daisy, etc.

I've read some of his other reviews and certainly enjoyed them. I'm not in the business of giving reviews, music blogs, or whatever it is that AP does but he should probably try to be a bit more diplomatic in his negative reviews. Some of the commentary seemed a bit disrespectful and if you actually read the review instead of saying "Yeah this record sucks" then it's pretty easy to pick up on those lines. I think that's where the backlash is coming from. However, the band's response is absolutely unforgivable.

Good reviewers write bad reviews. I'm not about to write Thomas Nassiff off, and I hope no one else will, either.

I guess I meant it was detailed and honest. I disagree with the bulk of it like I said and have disagreed with many of his reviews throughout the past but this one was not one of his worse. I do think Transit deserved a higher score and this album will grow on people in time (espeically in fall I am assuming).

Upon my initial listen, I was angry. How could you go from L&F to this? I understand artists want to take "risks" and mature and make the music they enjoy and are proud of. How could you write such a great album only to follow it up with this pile of garbage?!

Then I listened again. And again. And again.

And I like it, but I still have my gripes with the record as a whole.

The production is terrible (ex Co-Owner of a studio here!). If you want to go for a "raw" sound, there is a way to do this and still have it sound great for the listener. It wasn't executed well with this album. Something that stands out to me? It is horribly mixed, the vocals stand to far in front of the music, and the snare drum is slightly out of tune.

The lyrics are mediocre at best. High school called. Even they think they are cheesy.

Some of the song structures are just kind of confusing. With a weak vocalist, you need the music to hide the fact that you aren't the best. Many bands got by on this for years (read: Brand New [don't take this wrong, Jesse is an amazing lyricist and sounds great on record, but for a VERY long time, watching the band live was almost cringeworthy with how off-key he sang])

Overall, it is a bad follow up to a great record. Without prior experience with the band, it is an average record. It is a record from a band still young in the world of music. This is by no means going to make me write the band off. It will just make me approach them with caution. 

Didn't like KTTY or any of the early stuff other than a few songs, Promise Nothing is one of my favorite 7"s, L&F is one of my favorite albums of the last few years. That's basically my basis for this.

Honestly this record feels like it'd fit a lot better between KTTY and Promise Nothing. They lost a lot of the polish and gloss from the PN/L&F era and it would be far less jarring if they went from okay pop punk to whatever the hell YNE is. then with L&F it feels like they polished up and mastered the sound rather than losing what made that good.

Right on. Was just wondering if you were a Transit expert or something. I guess if you would call L&F one of your favorite albums in the last few years then I could see how it is a letdown for you. I'm not a huge Transit fan and L&F was good but I don't have it on the same pedestal that a lot of fans have it on. 

I can't believe you don't like KTTY though :( That's my favorite stuff they've done.