Really long sides...

topher

This continues to perplex me: I often see complaints on this board when a new release comes out with say, a 24 minute side. Understandable, sound quality sometimes suffers because of this. Yeah, I know, it all depends on the volume, who mastered/cut it, etc. Deftones' new one sticks in my mind, but it sounds fine on my end. Back in the 90's, though, there was a barrage of 50+ minute rock albums that were squeezed onto 1 record.

Examples:

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine - Both sides about 25 mins.

Bush - Sixteen Stone - Side A is 28 minutes.

Pearl Jam - Ten (Original) - Side A is 28 minutes.

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy (Original) - I don't own the OG, but I know it's 1 LP, adding up the track lengths on side B comes to 32 minutes. Please tell me I'm wrong, and they left something out.

Any worse offenders? How do they sound?

Keep in mind, I'm not as anal as some people are.

Has anyone ever seen the vinyl for Green Day's international superhits? It's a joke. I mean, it sounds like crap but that's actually besides the fact that the sides are so long. Great cut, shitty mastering.

I've always heard the first purple pressing of this was really good but the pressing(s) after it were pretty bad.  Not sure if this is true or not.

I've always heard the first purple pressing of this was really good but the pressing(s) after it were pretty bad. Not sure if this is true or not.

Didn't even know there was a purple first press, I have the recent black vinyl from a couple of years ago. But I think they both probably suck, just due to the nature of the recording. Wouldn't sound any better if it were spread over 8 LPs.

If I remember correctly, No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" runs about 30 min on each side and I don't remember it sounding any worse off.

It's an excellent sounding record. A bit quiet but if you get a quiet pressing you can turn up the volume no problem. It is a long record but a very well done one. (I can only speak for the official pressings, not that one that came with a t-shirt a couple of years back)

I think those bands just sound bad, regardless of the mastering ;)

You should check out Switchfoot or Creed....they are a lot better and way more talented!

What is the dislike of Switchfoot? You mentioned this before? I guess they can't all be Ke$ha...

No but to the original post I have a rejected 1LP test of Finch's "What It Is To Burn" and it is an hour long album and the record plays throug fine and genuinely sounds great!

Or the vinyl weight, my Springsteen records are thin as shit, but they sound great. Never really got the whole 180 gram thing.

This. I can practically roll my Darkness LP into a tube and drink chocolate milk through it, yet it sounds phenomenally better than almost all of my more recent, 180g+ records.