Goodbye To Video Rental.

In high school my buddies and I rented Edge of Seventeen (a coming of age story about a young man confused about his homosexual tendencies, set in the 80s) about 30 times. We found it to be the funniest movie ever.

I've also had friends who had worked for video stores at one time or another and have lots of fond memories bullshitting in the store late at night, talking about movies and messing with customers. I do find it sad that this "physical medium" is going by the wayside for a more digital version.

I worked at blockbuster for five years.  It was a fun job, glad I got out before they went belly up though.

And I definitely remember strawberries.  There was one like a mile or so from my house where I grew up, my best friend and I would walk there all the time just to look at shit.

yeah man, haha...strawberries ruled. then FYE bought them out. 

my old roommate worked at a blockbuster and was held up at gunpoint a while back, im pretty sure he secretly thought it was awesome.

theres a few blockblusters down here in texas, it was weird, in new england they are all gone. 

i used to go and buy their movies 4 for $20...i do kinda miss that deal.

do any new englanders remember Strawberries?

549242_10151315213371889_1960564568_n.jp

Hell yea man we use to have a massive one in Warwick Rode Island.

I worked at Blockbuster for a few years. For the most part it was a pretty sweet job. 5 free movie/game rentals every week, being able to take movies home before the street date, and a decent discount. Growing up, there was a strip mall across the street from my house with a Blockbuster. I would go to play Playstation and Nintendo 64 on the systems in the store. I would spend hours there. For being such a shell of itself these days, Blockbuster will always have a special place in my heart.

We would rent movies to watch as a family from Blockbuster when I was growing up, and video games too.  Now probably half of my DVD collection is from Blockbuster stores going out of business and selling their stock for cheap.  We've had over half of the Blockbusters in my town close down and there's only 2 or 3 left.  Sad stuff. :(

I actually went into Blockbuster for the first time in about 6 years, when i quit my job at one. The one down the street in Chapel Hill is surprisingly still thriving (at least by outward appearance); we went to get Jurassic Park, and all 4 copies had been checked out within the past 3 days. Weird.

It just sucks though because I remember when I couldn't find anything, Jeremy who was maybe a junior in high school would come by and help me find something, he got me into Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, and a bunch of other series a 9 year old would never pick up on their own, and I think it sucks that my child will only have my taste to go off of as reference in the future. I owe it to the pubescent teens at blockbuster for getting me into the movies I love today.