CONFESSIONS

-I find I fall in love with people too quick and when they end up being mean or leaving im usually more mad at myself than I am at them.

-I dropped out of high school to attend community college, thinking i'll pull myself together but I cant seem to (im improving though, which is a plus)

-I smoke to relieve some of the stress but I end up just hating myself for being addicted and it makes it worse.

-idk I just all around don't really like myself and i wish i had more people to talk to about it. (not many friends)

EDIT: -sometimes i like to listen to Flicker And Fade by Turnover and cry because I've never felt the love of someone other than a family member. lol...

Later that night I found out that the kids dad didn't tell her that his mom died he just sent the kid to school so all of his classmates ended up telling him that his mom is dead.  That just seems fucked beyond belief.  I feel terrible for this kid.

There's so many things I want to say about your posts man, but family is a touchy subject that I have no place in putting my opinion.

but this is really really the worst.

Confession- I still haven't told my mom that I don't believe in God. My mom is probably my best friend and definitely the closest person in my life and though she isn't crazy religious, I still think it world break her heart to know I don't follow any religion. So much so that every holiday she still asks me to say grace and it hurts when I still do pray, not because of the prayer itself, but because I feel like I'm lying to her every time.

Confession- I still haven't told my mom that I don't believe in God. My mom is probably my best friend and definitely the closest person in my life and though she isn't crazy religious, I still think it world break her heart to know I don't follow any religion. So much so that every holiday she still asks me to say grace and it hurts when I still do pray, not because of the prayer itself, but because I feel like I'm lying to her every time.

not sure how, but my whole family seemed to just lose all interest in religion at the same time. we used to go to church somewhat regularly, always on christmas, easter. shit, my dad was an altar boy.

aside from funerals, i honestly can not tell you when we last went to church- any of us.

but i know what you mean, because my grandmother is very religious. church every sunday, always telling people she's praying for them. i wouldn't dare tell her that i am of little faith. 

My parents are religious, and they don't seem to care I don't go to church. I've told them on many occasions I don't believe what they believe and it's never been an issue. It's totally understandable that you wouldn't want to tell her, since stuff like that can cause strains on relationships. It doesn't help that most religions preach people who don't practice or believe go to hell, so obviously believers fear that their loved ones may end up in such a place.

I've gone through the same, but ended up telling her. She didnt seem too bothered, but maybe a little disappointed because until I was 18 and moved out, we went to church every sunday. It's how our family was raised, and I went to catholic school until I got kicked out my junior year of high school.

I still go to church with her and my grandmother on easter and christmas and the like, but do I get up to go to communion? absolutely not. No one questions it, but I do feel like they're disappointed. 

Unless I know the other person's beliefs are mutual, I keep the fact that I don't believe in god to myself. My mom is the only person I've talked about it to in my family.

I know that I'll be immediately judged, asked why, or pulled into a debate I don't want to have. So, I choose to not put myself in that situation.

is it that we don't believe in god, or that we don't believe in "the" god that we're brought up expected to believe in? for me, a lot of the resistance in largely due to how viciously i loathe organized religion. it's almost like i taught myself to not have faith- but now as i age, and am better able to separate the two, i can see where it would be wrong to hold a grudge against a higher power for the outrageously irrational actions that have been taken in his name by lunatics for thousands of years.

the only thing that i do know, is that if there is a god- i believe that his only judgement is with whether or not you're a good person. and certainly not with whether you spend every sunday morning sitting, standing, kneeling, chanting, standing, kneeling, standing, chanting, and eating a cracker. or if you just hate gays or whatever.

tl;dr

maybe there's a god, but the bible is still fucking stupid.

Religion is subjective just like your taste in music, movies, food, etc. Everyone has a different opinion and they all think that theirs is the only one that matters.

I don't think it's right to look down upon other people for believing in something different or for being different. I feel like religion causes hate more than it does love, but that's my personal opinion.

I know some people who go to church to be a part of something, be apart of a community of people who believe in the same thing and feel like they have a purpose in life.

It's whatever makes you happy and people should just accept it. Whatever you believe should not be seen as stupid or shameful.

I don't think it's right to look down upon other people for believing in something different or for being different. I feel like religion causes hate more than it does love, but that's my personal opinion.

religion is directly responsible for way too much of what's wrong in our world. and it tends to be those who are too caught up in their beliefs who are responsible for looking down upon others for their differences.

there is just way too much fucking hate that exists in the name of [higher power].

So much this.  Recently my half-brother-in-law cornered me and I had to talk with him for a couple hours.  The topic of my fertility treatments came up in a round about way.  He then proceeded to tell me why children born from pregnancies using fertility treatments are born without souls.  He was also bringing up how terrible it is that his son and wife are using a surrogate to have a child.  He wouldn't specifically say the kid would be born soulless but he implied it.  He kept bringing up that if God wants you to have a baby you'll have a baby. 

After a short amount of time of trying to be polite I finally started questioning why fertility treatments are a travesty and cancer treatments are completely acceptable.  Finally I brought up when he had cancer and flat out told him that God probably just wanted you to die then, so I think it's entirely plausible that you still being alive is an affront to god.  Seeing as he used every bit of modern medicine to get himself better. 

I grew up going to church and my parents made me go through confirmation at the Lutheran Church even though they knew I didn't believe in god.  The humorous part is they would just drop me off for Sunday School and Mass and they would go out for breakfast.  I know they are devastated now that they know that my non-belief is more than just a phase.

There was this religious man that came into my work. He would have long conversations about trying to save people. Just everyday people doing everyday things. All of these conversations, I think, were just ploys to try and save me? I don't know.

This story could be way longer, but i'll just post the line where he lost me (and I'm paraphrasing...this was a few years ago)

He was talking about going to the doctor for something, I forget if it was a specific ailment, or if he was just going for his checkup. His doctor was a "young jewish man" and his comment about his doctor was something like: "I mean, he's a smart guy you know? but, he's going to hell."

All the good that this doctor did was dismissed by the simple fact that he wasn't a Christian.

I stopped humoring him shortly after that.

So much this.  Recently my half-brother-in-law cornered me and I had to talk with him for a couple hours.  The topic of my fertility treatments came up in a round about way.  He then proceeded to tell me why children born from pregnancies using fertility treatments are born without souls.  He was also bringing up how terrible it is that his son and wife are using a surrogate to have a child.  He wouldn't specifically say the kid would be born soulless but he implied it.  He kept bringing up that if God wants you to have a baby you'll have a baby. 

After a short amount of time of trying to be polite I finally started questioning why fertility treatments are a travesty and cancer treatments are completely acceptable.  Finally I brought up when he had cancer and flat out told him that God probably just wanted you to die then, so I think it's entirely plausible that you still being alive is an affront to god.  Seeing as he used every bit of modern medicine to get himself better. 

I grew up going to church and my parents made me go through confirmation at the Lutheran Church even though they knew I didn't believe in god.  The humorous part is they would just drop me off for Sunday School and Mass and they would go out for breakfast.  I know they are devastated now that they know that my non-belief is more than just a phase.

What was his response?

My family is very christian, very nice and accepting people. They're not going to look down on someone for not believing, they'll be inviting and friendly. But they're very opinionated, and that's ok, they believe what they believe and they do it with passion. However, if they were all born in another country and culture, they would probably have been raised in a different religion, pouring all their energy into that belief. It all depends on how you were raised and what culture you grew up in. 

Religion is subjective just like your taste in music, movies, food, etc. Everyone has a different opinion and they all think that theirs is the only one that matters.

I know some people who go to church to be a part of something, be apart of a community of people who believe in the same thing and feel like they have a purpose in life.

It's whatever makes you happy and people should just accept it. Whatever you believe should not be seen as stupid or shameful.

I couldn't agree more with all of this.

I spend every couple of weekends playing on my church's worship team or running sound occasionally but don't regularly go to church. I feel that using my talents to serve is when I am most spiritually connected. I don't get much from sitting and listening to sermons. But I do love the friendships and connections I've made through my church, and I often feel looked down on for not being at church hen I'm not serving in some way.

my parents are religious beyond belief. when i stayed there i was to go to church.

Bruises' story is my story too. i agree with that.

but i told my mom i was immortal when i was in 7th grade. she didnt speak to me for a month.

i did my traditional easter joke of saying 'is this the day jesus sees his shadow?' and it was half a year of no talking. i was young, but her convictions are passionate.

we live our lives differently. i dont care what people do just dont f'n kill, rape, bully, etc....

why is it so fucking hard to just go about your damn day and do your own shit.

there was a time i was very religious.  now i'm going through a moment of doubt i suppose.  but there are assholes on both sides: nonbelievers/believers.

i just wish we'd all stop pretending that everyone else is the enemy or something is wrong with them that we need to help fix.

which, again, is both sides.

What was his response?

He did the standard thing, to talk down to the person questioning your ideology. He shook his head and told me "You just don't get it".  He told me how fertility treatments create a soulless being whereas cancer treatments are just extending someones life.  He then went into how most cancer is caused by man made factors.  I brought up that many times infertility can be caused by man made factors.  That is when things trailed off and my two half-sisters showed up and gave me reprieve.