CONFESSIONS

i remember one rather vivid moment that shook a lot of religion right out out of me. i was in high school- probably the summer before junior year, and i was wandering around cape cod with a friend. another kid about our age approached us on the street asking if we could answer a couple questions for a survey. he started with "do you think you're good people?" to which, we both responded affirmatively. next he asked us to name as many different brands of beer as we could. we rallied off quite a few before he stopped us and asked us to name the 10 commandments. we were probably able to get like 7 or 8, but then he pretty much came at us saying "how can you consider yourself a good person if we could be so aware of the temptations of alcohol at a young age, and not know all the commandments. we pretty much laughed in his face- neither of us ever drank, and i was a bar back at the time. that's not to even mention how heavily beer and alcohol are constantly advertised. it's not often one sees a commercial besmirching one for coveting their neighbor's wife. 

is it that we don't believe in god, or that we don't believe in "the" god that we're brought up expected to believe in? for me, a lot of the resistance in largely due to how viciously i loathe organized religion. it's almost like i taught myself to not have faith- but now as i age, and am better able to separate the two, i can see where it would be wrong to hold a grudge against a higher power for the outrageously irrational actions that have been taken in his name by lunatics for thousands of years.

the only thing that i do know, is that if there is a god- i believe that his only judgement is with whether or not you're a good person. and certainly not with whether you spend every sunday morning sitting, standing, kneeling, chanting, standing, kneeling, standing, chanting, and eating a cracker. or if you just hate gays or whatever.

tl;dr

maybe there's a god, but the bible is still fucking stupid.

For awhile I had these same thoughts. I thought there was a god for some time but now I don't believe in any higher being at all. It sucks because my girlfriend is pretty religious and she voices it occasionally (after a couple of drinks) and she knows that she can't force me to believe in something, but I know that it bums her out that I don't dig a higher power

For awhile I had these same thoughts. I thought there was a god for some time but now I don't believe in any higher being at all. It sucks because my girlfriend is pretty religious and she voices it occasionally (after a couple of drinks) and she knows that she can't force me to believe in something, but I know that it bums her out that I don't dig a higher power

I'm not sure how old you are Ry, but I know for me personally as I have aged my thoughts concerning religion have changed.

I'm not sure how old you are Ry, but I know for me personally as I have aged my thoughts concerning religion have changed.

i'm 27. but even 10 years ago, i remember learning about deism and thinking "hey.. that actually makes sense"

I've doubted since I was really young. It might have been the catholic school education though, it was pretty obvious to me how much they tried to scare people into believing. 

some people need religion because they rely on it as a moral / ethical compass.  i'd MUCH rather those people have religion that be left to their own faculties to make decisions.  if you are the kind of person who thinks they can handle the responsibility of making your own decisions (like i try to be), you don't need religion.

Since this is still the confession thread...

I just want a girl to do a striptease to American Football and then let her spoon me. Holiday blues. 

two things i really enjoy separately, but i don't think i ever want to experience together.  holy fuckin' sad, batman.

two things i really enjoy separately, but i don't think i ever want to experience together.  holy fuckin' sad, batman.

Ditto on this.

On the religion topic, once when I was way younger, a traveling preacher at the church I was dragged to pulled me to the front and said that one day I'd be leading a congregation of my own. I laughed and he insisted over and over it was true. Like, I respect what you're doing, but keep it to yourself, man.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom informed me her kidneys were failing on new years eve. So I made my new years resolution to be the greatest son I can be to her.

Damn I'm sorry to hear that.  My uncle was in renal failure for a lot of years and had to do dialysis several times a week.  She will definitely need your support as she will be really sick after she has her dialysis sessions.

When my mom comes over to help take care of my child she does the dishes but always leaves dirt on them so I have to rewash them anyway. I don't know how to tell her to stop. Also, one time she put my Rival Schools - United By Fate in the window to block out the sun which resulted in the C/D side being significantly warped. She helps me out so much but holy shit is she losing her marbles.

One time when I was younger and Ozzfest was still a tour, they had beads for sale. So my friend and I bought a bunch because we were teenage dudes...obviously wanted to see some boobs. This one woman was with her daughter and said "Im with my daughter man I cant" ....so we boo'ed her. 

It was also that night I felt my first pair of fake tits. Which was awesome due to the fact I was like 15 and the chick had no idea.

So, I had the sudden realization how horribly my family is doing financially compared to most in our area.
I've always known that we were not wealthy people and money has always been one of the main causes of my anxiety attacks.
But I guess in some way it just never really registered? Maybe that was for the better. 

My boss and a customer were talking today and the words "It's not a big amount, only $1,000" came out of her mouth. The customer replied "Yeah, that's really not bad." I won't go into extreme detail but it was over a pretty frivolous situation. (This is also in no way insinuating that they aren't spending their money well or anything.)

It just kinda clicked that $1,000 has always been a lot of money to me. Spending $50 can really make or break my family for a week. I just had to pay my mom's $25 doctor visit because she couldn't afford it. 

We don't have health insurance, we used to have a welfare plan but my mom was told she "makes too much money." 
Yet paying rent every month is something that is rarely done comfortably. 

I know other's have it worse and that I'm lucky to have a roof over my head, food to eat, overall good health. 

It's still a pretty tough pill to swallow, especially knowing how hard my mom has had it her entire life. 

Money fucking blows.

So, I had the sudden realization how horribly my family is doing financially compared to most in our area.

I've always known that we were not wealthy people and money has always been one of the main causes of my anxiety attacks.

But I guess in some way it just never really registered? Maybe that was for the better. 

My boss and a customer were talking today and the words "It's not a big amount, only $1,000" came out of her mouth. The customer replied "Yeah, that's really not bad." I won't go into extreme detail but it was over a pretty frivolous situation. (This is also in no way insinuating that they aren't spending their money well or anything.)

It just kinda clicked that $1,000 has always been a lot of money to me. Spending $50 can really make or break my family for a week. I just had to pay my mom's $25 doctor visit because she couldn't afford it. 

We don't have health insurance, we used to have a welfare plan but my mom was told she "makes too much money." 

Yet paying rent every month is something that is rarely done comfortably. 

I know other's have it worse and that I'm lucky to have a roof over my head, food to eat, overall good health. 

It's still a pretty tough pill to swallow, especially knowing how hard my mom has had it her entire life. 

Money fucking blows.

Know how youre feeling. Its the same here. I have a single parent and it blows. We would be getting childsupport to make it easy because my brother and I are still in school but my father is a moron and did this so were not getting any for obvious reasons (not like he didnt owe us a ton of cash tho): http://www.muncyluminary.com/page/content.detail/id/507641/Accused-drunk-driver-wanted-officers-to-shoot-him.html?nav=5036