PO: The Appleseed Cast - Illumination Ritual

I've got to throw my ring into the hat of folks who thoroughly enjoy all Appleseed albums from start to finish.  I guess my question was more-so geared towards the people who were insisting that it was among the best albums of the year, when they first heard it.  Because even months later, I find myself still sticking by those claims, personally.  It's an ace expansion to their discography, and I'm really happy with the way its held up.  Easy 2013 top-five material, for me.

And yeah, I thought the music video was pretty different.  Maybe a little too much voice-over, but still enjoyable nonetheless.  I think it proves that Appleseed could write a swell soundtrack if they chose to do so.  +1 for the abundant campyness, too.

As a note of interest, I'm pretty sure I've converted no less than free friends over to Appleseed fans with Sagarmatha.  I think it's a fantastic entry point for the band.  Leaves plenty of twists and turns to unravel as you progress backwards into their discography.

All this talk of it actually makes me want to throw it on.

Confession: never got a copy of Sagarmatha until a year ago on CD. Upon first listen, it's great. But it didn't compel to listen again because there are no words. To Derek's point, part of my love for AC is the words.

Two Conversations is my favorite album. I don't think it's their best, per say, because LLO is epic, but I just love it. I tend to think I'm alone in that sentiment.

I like the album but for me personally sagarmatha will probably always be their best

The signature of a postrock man right there. I 'found' AC via postrock site mention of LLO. Being late to the party I checked everything out and bought Sag second, then Middle States, enjoying the instrumental more. Didn't need the relationship drama of 2Conv, emo, etc. but Chris's vocals were a positive. But as I listened more and more, the proverbial growing experience has happened with all of their releases, and I wouldn't throw a single one away. 

Even though I can't personally relate to some of the drama portrayed in the lyrics, it is still quite moving and palpable: like February on Peregrine and Fight Song on 2Conv.

For me it's a tie between LLO1&2 and Peregrine for the sheer seamless flow/theme  and oneness of these releases.

IR is a great way to jump into AC, love it all the way through...To my ears, it's more like a cool puzzle of pieces fitting together than one long song.

im glad the discussion has gotten this deep, this is a band I slept on for so long all iv heard is IR which I reaaallllyy enjoy and iv been wanting to check out their other stuff, so reading yall posts I now know a good place to start :)

arnt some of these on graveface as well?

You can get a copy of Two Converations for under $15ppd BIN on eBay right now. I believe it's Green splatter but I could be wrong. Other than IR, I think Graveface only has the Middle States EP.

You can get a copy of Two Converations for under $15ppd BIN on eBay right now. I believe it's Green splatter but I could be wrong. Other than IR, I think Graveface only has the Middle States EP.

You can still buy, direct from Graveface:

Two Conversations (3rd Press) Doublemint on Kelly Green Splatter Vinyl $15

&

Middle States (3rd Press) Beer Inside of Baby Blue Color In Color Vinyl $15

Just go here: http://www.graveface.com/graveface-catalog.html and scroll down :)

PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING

• 1 month later...

Alright, this thread is where it started for me with TAC so I'll post this here. 

After hearing all of the hype about these guys, buying Two Conversations on a whim and loving it, I decided that, over time, I was going to get their discography and listen to each one for the first time on vinyl. I went from Two Conversations, Illumination Ritual, Sagarmatha, LLO, End of Ring Wars and ending today with Mare Vitalis. The depth of their discography is mind boggling. After hearing TC through LLO I thought I knew what they sounded like; more or less had them figured out. I was sorely mistaken. End of Ring Wars absolutely blew me away. I didn't have any backstory on how TAC started and so it was a great shock when I started hearing 90's emo blasting out at me. Listening to Mare Vitalis now, I can definitely see the transition from that into more of their current sound. I remember talking to Derek when I first listened to TAC and thought it was strange when he told me he couldn't really rank the albums sequentially in which he liked more than the others. After listening to all of their LPs that makes a lot of sense to me now. I don't necessarily think I could break them down into a certain order but I do know that this band has slowly become on of my favorites. The body of work that they've put together is really some masterful stuff. Super glad I stumbled into this thread a number of months ago when I did. So I guess I just wanted to say thanks for providing all of the hype and piquing my interest guys!

Alright, this thread is where it started for me with TAC so I'll post this here.

After hearing all of the hype about these guys, buying Two Conversations on a whim and loving it, I decided that, over time, I was going to get their discography and listen to each one for the first time on vinyl. I went from Two Conversations, Illumination Ritual, Sagarmatha, LLO, End of Ring Wars and ending today with Mare Vitalis. The depth of their discography is mind boggling. After hearing TC through LLO I thought I knew what they sounded like; more or less had them figured out. I was sorely mistaken. End of Ring Wars absolutely blew me away. I didn't have any backstory on how TAC started and so it was a great shock when I started hearing 90's emo blasting out at me. Listening to Mare Vitalis now, I can definitely see the transition from that into more of their current sound. I remember talking to Derek when I first listened to TAC and thought it was strange when he told me he couldn't really rank the albums sequentially in which he liked more than the others. After listening to all of their LPs that makes a lot of sense to me now. I don't necessarily think I could break them down into a certain order but I do know that this band has slowly become on of my favorites. The body of work that they've put together is really some masterful stuff. Super glad I stumbled into this thread a number of months ago when I did. So I guess I just wanted to say thanks for providing all of the hype and piquing my interest guys!

This is awesome, I'm very happy that you've experienced TAC in the manner that you did. There's nothing better than suggesting music to someone (not saying I was responsible for this) and them coming back with such a good experience, let alone a detailed listening experience. Thanks for sharing.

This is awesome, I'm very happy that you've experienced TAC in the manner that you did. There's nothing better than suggesting music to someone (not saying I was responsible for this) and them coming back with such a good experience, let alone a detailed listening experience. Thanks for sharing.

You know what would be even more awesome? If I hadn't forgot Peregrine. I bought it from the graveface fundraiser but haven't listened to it yet because I won't have it until October. 

Hey, I meant well.