PO: The Appleseed Cast - Illumination Ritual

You know what would be even more awesome? If I hadn't forgot Peregrine. I bought it from the graveface fundraiser but haven't listened to it yet because I won't have it until October. 

Hey, I meant well. 

i recently "rediscovered" peregrine after all the talk in the fundraiser thread. fantastic album.

i recently "rediscovered" peregrine after all the talk in the fundraiser thread. fantastic album.

That's a good one as well, I feel like it gets overlooked sometimes in regards to their whole discography. But it deserves more attention in general, I think. And what I think, is king. Just saying.

I'm excited and curious to give it a listen. I was happy with Mare Vitalis being what I thought was the end of the road just because it was the most sought after variant of the discography for me but a sealed copy of Peregrine will be a nice way to round it out. 

Alright, this thread is where it started for me with TAC so I'll post this here. 

After hearing all of the hype about these guys, buying Two Conversations on a whim and loving it, I decided that, over time, I was going to get their discography and listen to each one for the first time on vinyl. I went from Two Conversations, Illumination Ritual, Sagarmatha, LLO, End of Ring Wars and ending today with Mare Vitalis. The depth of their discography is mind boggling. After hearing TC through LLO I thought I knew what they sounded like; more or less had them figured out. I was sorely mistaken. End of Ring Wars absolutely blew me away. I didn't have any backstory on how TAC started and so it was a great shock when I started hearing 90's emo blasting out at me. Listening to Mare Vitalis now, I can definitely see the transition from that into more of their current sound. I remember talking to Derek when I first listened to TAC and thought it was strange when he told me he couldn't really rank the albums sequentially in which he liked more than the others. After listening to all of their LPs that makes a lot of sense to me now. I don't necessarily think I could break them down into a certain order but I do know that this band has slowly become on of my favorites. The body of work that they've put together is really some masterful stuff. Super glad I stumbled into this thread a number of months ago when I did. So I guess I just wanted to say thanks for providing all of the hype and piquing my interest guys!

I started listening to them in 2000/01, so nah nah nah boo boo :)

But really, it's interesting to read someone's perspective who has listened to everything back to back and picks their preference.

And yeah, they're just a great band. Even though Peregrine isn't my favorite "Sunlit Ascending" is one of my all time favorite Appleseed Cast songs.

• 2 weeks later...

So after hearing this band's name thrown around for quite sometime (and getting a Spotify recommendation email) I finally took the plunge. I've listened to IR 3 times today and ordered the vinyl via Amazon (which btw does anyone know what version I'll be getting?).

I have read through most of this thread (post album release) and feel like this has been one of the better "band discussion" threads I've come across on VC. It's fascinating to read how people have come to love this band and the varying opinions on what's the favorite. It's also fascinating to me that a lot of people say that this album didn't hit them right away because midway through my first listen I realized I've slept on these guys for too long. Maybe it's my AC ignorance and lack of experience with prior material? I've grown to love this type of "intricate instrumentation" and love the subtlties that lie within and how they come together so perfectly to form an incredibly complex album.

Now it's time go visit the back catalogue.

Welcome to the club, King.  We're glad to have you aboard.  In complete reality, I'm always a little bit jealous of anyone who just gets into Appleseed Cast.  There's no better feeling than being able to close your eyes and pick one of their albums at random, and know that you're in for a treat.  Each and every one of their records brings something significant to the table... whether it's their post-rock instrumentation, genuine / early emo vocals, experimentation, lyrics, song structures: it's all so good, and it's scattered across their entire discography.  Diving head first into their back catalog is so rewarding, especially for a first-timer who's not familiar with how great their discography is.  I really do hope you enjoy it.

So after hearing this band's name thrown around for quite sometime (and getting a Spotify recommendation email) I finally took the plunge. I've listened to IR 3 times today and ordered the vinyl via Amazon (which btw does anyone know what version I'll be getting?).

I have read through most of this thread (post album release) and feel like this has been one of the better "band discussion" threads I've come across on VC. It's fascinating to read how people have come to love this band and the varying opinions on what's the favorite. It's also fascinating to me that a lot of people say that this album didn't hit them right away because midway through my first listen I realized I've slept on these guys for too long. Maybe it's my AC ignorance and lack of experience with prior material? I've grown to love this type of "intricate instrumentation" and love the subtlties that lie within and how they come together so perfectly to form an incredibly complex album.

Now it's time go visit the back catalogue.

Your IR should be the 2nd pressing which is green/aqua blue. My TAC journey started with IR as well, then Sagarmatha and Middle States, then LLO. Good travels my friend.

Awesome. As soon as I feel like taking a break from IR I'll dive in to the rest. I just can't stop listening to IR.

I feel like there are many elements from many bands I like in this album. I get a more intense post-rock American Football vibe throughout the whole album and also hear a little bit of King Of Limbs style Radiohead.

I love "adventures" with albums like this lol. Always feel like I find something new with each subsequent listen.

I would also like to add how cool it is to see a bunch of new Appleseed fans being born in this thread. And as others have stated, I envy the journey that you're about to partake in. They have a huge discography and it would be kind of cool to have only just found out about them, and go back through it all.

I would like to suggest this: this thread has been civil, suggestive, and expressive of kindly opinions because this band, who've been playing for 15 years, produces fans who are into the band for the long haul because they're not flash-in-the-pan seekers, but gents who play what they want and aim to make beautiful music.

^ Well done, sir!  This thread and the album have rekindled my interest in the band and prompted to me to pay more attention to the albums I hadn't spend enough time with (Mare and Ring War especially.  It also makes me wish I was a little more sober the last time I saw them...

^ Well done, sir!  This thread and the album have rekindled my interest in the band and prompted to me to pay more attention to the albums I hadn't spend enough time with (Mare and Ring War especially.  It also makes me wish I was a little more sober the last time I saw them...

Don't ever feel bad for being too fucked up for TAC. They're such a good band to drink and watch live. Saw them at a house show in Denton and it had to be my favorite experience. Totally zoned out in this garage.

@ King: if you dig those post-rock elements, you really ought to try out the full-length prior to IR, Sagarmatha.  Does not disappoint.  I know it can be difficult to move forward and explore more material after being "stuck" on a particular album, but hopefully you'll see what we mean about the band's consistency.

@ King: if you dig those post-rock elements, you really ought to try out the full-length prior to IR, Sagarmatha. Does not disappoint. I know it can be difficult to move forward and explore more material after being "stuck" on a particular album, but hopefully you'll see what we mean about the band's consistency.

Goddammit, I love Sagarmatha!!

I don't know why it's my fave AC, but it is.

• 1 month later...